Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 10:39 AM

17,614 posts, read 17,656,125 times

Advertisements

This video is an example of my feelings about the TSA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHZISoNlqAA

They're looking to stop terrorist, then profile terrorist. The threats aren't from non-muslims so profile the muslims. Do the usual security checks on all passengers but do enhanced security checks on muslims. For the record, Islam is not a race. Whites, blacks, arabs, latinos, and Asians can be muslim.

Old 01-08-2016, 10:40 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
To be truly safe and equal, everyone needs to be patted down and checked even under garment area should be checked because terrorists hid their devices there including shoes.

I really think it's not enough and there needs to be a high tech way to check everyone thoroughly and efficiently.

Old 01-08-2016, 10:41 AM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
How did it make it worse? He posted it to call attention to it. It wasn't the pat down he objected to, it was how long it went on, it was like 10 minutes. He wasn't "outraged", he was disturbed by it and and wanted others to see it.

10 minutes? About 2 minutes.

Old 01-08-2016, 10:41 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
Quote:
The system is stupid. If the man cae up with a 2 year old in a stroller, they'd have let him bring baby bottles full of liquid...same guy. I have seen people with babies be allowed on planes with liquids. Add to that the fact that when the TSA is tested, routinely they miss 95% of banned weapons and other banned items. So to be fair, it is a bunch of smoke and mirrors designed to make us FEEL safe, not neccessarily be safe.
Here are some examples of what I have personally contended with going through TSA security lines at the airport:

1. I bought a jar of orange marmalade at Harrod's in London. When I attempted to fly home, I was told this was liquid and it was confiscated. And I thought liquid was something like milk or water.

2. I gave my son a comb that was contained in a case that looked like a pocket knife. TSA treated it as a knife and confiscated it because my son, unbeknownst to me, had packed it at the last minute in his suitcase.

3. I went through scanner and made the mistake of turning my body at the wrong time. I was forced to exit the scanner and given and extremely thorough pat down by the TSA man at the scanner that day. It was one helluva of a lot longer than ten seconds.

I am tired of all the people who justify this kind of crap by saying "Remember 9/11". You could justify arresting everyone with a Muslim sounding-name on that theory.

What is needed in this country is not airport security that is "politically correct" and follows 10,000 different rules (interpreted differently by different employees). What is needed is intelligent security that actually profiles passengers and focuses most of the effort on people who are actually likely to be a threat. Somehow, I think making thousands of white Caucasian women unload their baby strollers and put them all through the scanner is not a good use of everyone's time.

Old 01-08-2016, 11:42 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
The liquids regulation has been in effect for years. This isn't anything new. There's 80 billion signs at airports about what's allowed in carry on. There's a lifesize poster in front of you at the TSA line. Don't like the search? Follow the rules or don't fly. It's that simple. Don't whine about breaking the rules and how awful the experience was when you brought it on yourself. No 15 minutes of fame for you.
Of course it has. Maybe daddy is behind on the mortgage and thought of way to get a windfall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytegard View Post
What about this woman and others like her who have been rape victims and a pat down can cause trauma?

https://www.rt.com/usa/tsa-rape-room-wife-179/
Than don't fly.

Old 01-08-2016, 11:51 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
How did it make it worse? He posted it to call attention to it. It wasn't the pat down he objected to, it was how long it went on, it was like 10 minutes. He wasn't "outraged", he was disturbed by it and and wanted others to see it.
Well for starters she will most likely be made fun of at her school. He posted his child being patted down online, there are people who will get their jollies by watching it.(trying to be polite here). Maybe a stalker or two will show up at their house.

That's how it makes it worse.

Old 01-08-2016, 11:59 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,556,326 times
I don't get it, what's the problem? It was thorough, big deal. It's not like the agent was probing her butt or vajay with a finger. The agent was talking to her while she was doing it. Just an overdramatic father claiming his daughter was being victimized. Bull. I'm so tired of people complaining about TSA. Granted I don't fly often but when I have, I have never had a problem.

Old 01-08-2016, 12:01 PM

2,053 posts, read 1,527,049 times
Quote:
The system is stupid. If the man cae up with a 2 year old in a stroller, they'd have let him bring baby bottles full of liquid...same guy. I have seen people with babies be allowed on planes with liquids. Add to that the fact that when the TSA is tested, routinely they miss 95% of banned weapons and other banned items. So to be fair, it is a bunch of smoke and mirrors designed to make us FEEL safe, not neccessarily be safe.

These items- breast milk/formula are screened. They are not just brought on the plane like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Here are some examples of what I have personally contended with going through TSA security lines at the airport:

1. I bought a jar of orange marmalade at Harrod's in London. When I attempted to fly home, I was told this was liquid and it was confiscated. And I thought liquid was something like milk or water.

2. I gave my son a comb that was contained in a case that looked like a pocket knife. TSA treated it as a knife and confiscated it because my son, unbeknownst to me, had packed it at the last minute in his suitcase.

3. I went through scanner and made the mistake of turning my body at the wrong time. I was forced to exit the scanner and given and extremely thorough pat down by the TSA man at the scanner that day. It was one helluva of a lot longer than ten seconds.

I am tired of all the people who justify this kind of crap by saying "Remember 9/11". You could justify arresting everyone with a Muslim sounding-name on that theory.

What is needed in this country is not airport security that is "politically correct" and follows 10,000 different rules (interpreted differently by different employees). What is needed is intelligent security that actually profiles passengers and focuses most of the effort on people who are actually likely to be a threat. Somehow, I think making thousands of white Caucasian women unload their baby strollers and put them all through the scanner is not a good use of everyone's time.
Everyone, I mean everyone, should be thoroughly screened. To do that would cost money and make certain people uncomfortable (What, I don't look like a terrorist!).

Old 01-08-2016, 12:16 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,752,582 times
There was no "groping" or "mauling" done in that video.

Old 01-08-2016, 12:24 PM

497 posts, read 428,090 times
Someone needs to do a cost/benefit analysis on TSA screening. To me it seems that the screening is fairly ineffective (didn't 95% of weapons in the TSA 'test' make it though undetected?), and extremely expensive in terms of direct costs as well as lost productivity. There have been huge holes in security that have been well known for years, and only recently partially corrected - this is what leads to the term 'Security Theater'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events