Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 06:39 AM

50,720 posts, read 36,424,154 times

Advertisements

How did it make it worse? He posted it to call attention to it. It wasn't the pat down he objected to, it was how long it went on, it was like 10 minutes. He wasn't "outraged", he was disturbed by it and and wanted others to see it.

Old 01-08-2016, 07:04 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,402,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Perhaps they should have made sure she wasn't carrying a banned liquid size in the first place?

He should have made sure his kid wasn't carrying a banned substance.

People are so stupid. They don't want to do anything that will possibly deter terrorism because it's offensive, but get up in arms when a terrorist attack occurs.

Shut up and drive.

Old 01-08-2016, 07:17 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I don't agree with anyone who says " The world has always been crazy", I have been on this earth for 70 years and have NEVER seen it as bad as it is today. Things we would never have dreamed of are happening every day........the world is definitely not Mayberry any more.

9-11 REALLY was the tipping point IMO. Up until then, terrorists were only something we heard of and they stayed in their own little part of the world and blew each other up. Then, on 9-11, they came for us, and it changed all the rules and how we had to look at things.

Did I like the fact that I had to take my shoes off, stand in an xray booth with my arms overhead, and then be patted down like a criminal ? No, it was a little degrading, but I accept the fact that someone on the plane I was traveling on could have been there to cause me and all the other passengers harm. So, I put up with a little inconvenience , got to my destination safely, and came home to my family that night.

It may not be pleasant, but it is the world we live in today and the reality we all have to live with.

Don
I would disagree to some extent for the affairs at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dawson's_Field_hijackings
which much like 9-11, both in the coordination and what they were learning in the cockpit while on the ground. As you say, however, the country essentially ignored it and other affairs. While not all of us ignored it, it was very difficult to get other people to listen...........as it is now.

I can laugh this morning of all the people who objected in the Cold War to my department performing entrance/departure Gate Searches. Comparing such to the subject in this thread, it seems to be an ongoing American quality.

ESSENTIALLY, IMHO, one can learn along the way and take small steps accordingly or one can cram when time is shorter. Apparently, we decided to cram.

Old 01-08-2016, 07:48 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,953,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I recently flew for the first time in some years, and yes, it was a little off putting all that they put you through. They pulled me aside and told me they wanted to check my waist, so they did.

However, this is a crazy world these days, and I was glad to see them being so thorough. After all, terrorists think nothing of strapping a bomb to a child younger than 10, so they can not assume anyone is not a danger.

We got to our destination safely, and it was worth the little bit of probing they did. That Father was over reacting and should not have had that size drink on her.

Don
OK Don, first off, since your username says 1945, I will assume you are 71 years old, not 10. So there's that. Secondly, did you actually read the rest of what you wrote? Let's take this out of context. The dad takes his daughter on a walk in the park and strangers decide to feel his daughter up for two minutes for "security reasons." After all, bombs can be anywhere; in a park, at someone's house, in a store, any airspace, any place at all. So here come the security guards or whoever, believing that the kid is somehow a "terror threat." The father does not know these people and has to watch helplessly while his kid gets intensely patted down. All for the crime of having liquids on her. And you're falling for the old terrorist party line the government harps on 24-7 so they can keep doing it. We, the sheeple

Last edited by Scooby Snacks; 01-08-2016 at 07:59 AM..

Old 01-08-2016, 08:12 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,925,018 times
Seems a bit excessive. If you look at how European and Canadian airports handle pat-downs, they do it in about ten seconds flat.

Old 01-08-2016, 08:20 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
Seems a bit excessive. If you look at how European and Canadian airports handle pat-downs, they do it in about ten seconds flat.
One shouldn't take things in a vacuum in analysis. Essentially, what is Canada's target potential as compared to the US? (Europe for whatever part is being compared may be something else).

Off hand, I would say that Canada is not as hated in the world as the US is.

Old 01-08-2016, 08:59 AM

455 posts, read 388,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I'm no fan of the TSA, but the agent was doing her job. Dad was so outraged by this *violation* of his daughter that he posted the video online for everyone to view.

He's sending the wrong message to his daughter by acting like a brat himself.

And as Suburban Guy said, they all left the juice box in her luggage, so what do they expect?
Agreed, this is just silly. I fly all the time and generally avoid the scanner and opt for the pat down. There is nothing violating about it, no part of your "private areas" are touched. It's such a non issue and the TSA ladies have all been extremely professional. They're just doing their job.

Maybe dad should focus his energy on girls who are actually being violated and victimized around the world.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:25 AM

22,327 posts, read 29,407,323 times
Sorry but pat everyone down. If it means between my safety and everyone elses OR some 10 year feeling uncomfortable for 10 seconds then TOO BAD!!!! People are using EVERYTHING they can to create terrorism.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:34 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,522,736 times
A dad trying to do the right thing ended up doing everything wrong, and still is.

Old 01-08-2016, 10:31 AM

50,720 posts, read 36,424,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
He should have made sure his kid wasn't carrying a banned substance.

People are so stupid. They don't want to do anything that will possibly deter terrorism because it's offensive, but get up in arms when a terrorist attack occurs.

Shut up and drive.
The system is stupid. If the man cae up with a 2 year old in a stroller, they'd have let him bring baby bottles full of liquid...same guy. I have seen people with babies be allowed on planes with liquids. Add to that the fact that when the TSA is tested, routinely they miss 95% of banned weapons and other banned items. So to be fair, it is a bunch of smoke and mirrors designed to make us FEEL safe, not neccessarily be safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events