Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 04:13 PM

743 posts, read 766,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Oh c'mon.

Please don't quote some extremist right wing Islamophobic website to me. I live in Philly and I am monitoring the story. In fact the shooting happened here in West Philly, not more than a couple of miles from my house.

The crime committed by this shooter is not an indictment against all Muslims. Yes, there are radical Muslim terrorists and there are Jihadists ... the actions of one criminal should not be used to demonize all Muslims any more than all legal gun owners should be demonized by a shooter in a planned mass killing.

Another thing: the shooter, besides being a despicable human being, is wrong: there are some Muslims in the Philadelphia Police Department. Just as there are Jewish police officers.

There is a significant Muslim community in this city. I'm sure ultra-conservatives would be delighted if "Hizzoner" our newly elected Mayor started a rant denouncing Muslims and the Islamic religion. Not gonna happen. In my neighborhood we have Christians of all denominations, many Jews, also Buddhists, Hidus, and Sikhs as well as Muslims. We all get along. This incident is an outlier. More crimes are committed here in Philly from people coming from Christian families (doesn't make the the criminal "Christian" I would happily admit) than any other religious group.
But Christians, Jews, Buddhists, Hindus and Sikhs aren't going around shooting and blowing up people in the name of their religions.

Old 01-12-2016, 04:14 PM

Quote:
^^^

Kevin, you nailed it.

As a resident of West Philly I have neighbors who are Muslim. Nice neighbors. How could anyone with half a brain not know that the atrocities of a few does not justify hatred and blame on the majority.
It's more than a 'few.'

Old 01-12-2016, 06:45 PM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steinish View Post
But Christians, Jews, Buddhists, Hindus and Sikhs aren't going around shooting and blowing up people in the name of their religions.
Yes. Actually they absolutely do...just not nearly as much.

Also, most of the shootings and bombings are as much politically motivated as religiously motivated.

The other big problem is that having lots of religiously crazed young men you can send to blow things up is like having a rabid guard dog. Syria found that one out the hard way.

Old 01-12-2016, 07:17 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,263,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
It was a stolen gun. An officer's gun stolen a couple of years ago in a home burglary.
Wouldn't it be smarter if Obama came out with an Executive Order that would do something about stolen guns rather than layer yet another background check that obviously didn't work?

Old 01-12-2016, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Also, most of the shootings and bombings are as much politically motivated as religiously motivated.
In Islam they are one and the same. Islam actually prides itself in being holistic. Everything you need to live is in the Koran. From what you wear to what you eat down is all mapped out. One of the hallmarks of Arab victories in early Islam was book burning. None were needed.

Old 01-12-2016, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post

the shooter testified, he did it for Islam...b/c police officers do not follow the Islam belief....
This reminds of Ben Carson. He was insisting that he tried to stab someone and the press was insisting that he did not. Now this guy says I did it for Islam but politicians say you did not. So now we have to learn our Islam from Jim Kenney.

Old 01-12-2016, 09:36 PM

301 posts, read 921,786 times
I drive past there every night to go to work in University City...had no idea a camera was there. I guess they're monitoring that bar

Old 01-13-2016, 04:38 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,257,449 times
Quote:
Oh c'mon.

Please don't quote some extremist right wing Islamophobic website to me. I live in Philly and I am monitoring the story. In fact the shooting happened here in West Philly, not more than a couple of miles from my house.

The crime committed by this shooter is not an indictment against all Muslims. Yes, there are radical Muslim terrorists and there are Jihadists ... the actions of one criminal should not be used to demonize all Muslims any more than all legal gun owners should be demonized by a shooter in a planned mass killing.

Another thing: the shooter, besides being a despicable human being, is wrong: there are some Muslims in the Philadelphia Police Department. Just as there are Jewish police officers.

There is a significant Muslim community in this city. I'm sure ultra-conservatives would be delighted if "Hizzoner" our newly elected Mayor started a rant denouncing Muslims and the Islamic religion. Not gonna happen. In my neighborhood we have Christians of all denominations, many Jews, also Buddhists, Hidus, and Sikhs as well as Muslims. We all get along. This incident is an outlier. More crimes are committed here in Philly from people coming from Christian families (doesn't make the the criminal "Christian" I would happily admit) than any other religious group.
I'm not saying it is against all Muslims, or am I....what I'm saying is, the shooter was Islamic, and confessed, saying that he shot the officer, b/c police do not fall in the line of their religious beliefs...
(I've been following it, to, b/c my son is a police officer.)

It isn't the point of Jews, or Buddhists, or even Christians....the point is, there is right now, a minority of muslims here who "do" mean harm to the people of the U.S. and you might think differently, if the minority of deaths committed by Islam was been done against a family member of yours, God forbid.

This isn't the fault of the Muslims...it is in fact the fault of the American government for allowing everyone and his brother into the U.S. And it was perhaps inevitable...but my point is...while more crimes are committed in Philly from people coming from Christian families...ISIS is also here, and on the rise...

Point being, the shooter confessed, and the Mayor gets up and says, it wasn't a shooting motivated by a religion which is poppy ****. Sorry, but that is the issue....

Old 01-13-2016, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
In Islam they are one and the same. Islam actually prides itself in being holistic. Everything you need to live is in the Koran. From what you wear to what you eat down is all mapped out. One of the hallmarks of Arab victories in early Islam was book burning. None were needed.
Thank you.

Old 01-13-2016, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yes. Actually they absolutely do...just not nearly as much.

The other big problem is that having lots of religiously crazed young men you can send to blow things up is like having a rabid guard dog. Syria found that one out the hard way.
Give me five examples in the U.S. in the past year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events