Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2016, 09:54 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,577,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post

Both you and the above poster are quite judgmental about other people, I see. Do you not think "those people" have to shop as well? I have never seen a fight in any retail store. Plenty of hits for shoplifting at both stores on Google.

Your kidding right? about the fights I mean. The Internet is full of fights at Walmart. I don't see people at Target or any other big box stores when they get their EBT cards get refilled. Like it or not Walmart does attract these types of people of all races.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:11 AM

51,027 posts, read 36,749,051 times
Quote:
kat in aiken, we get it, you don't like Walmart. I've never had these problems you talk about with Walmart goods. I have a few Walmart items of clothing that have lasted for years. Of course, I don't buy everything there.Walmart and, get this, Hobby Lobby, are the ONLY stores in my local shopping area (tow small town-type suburbs) that sell fabric and other sewing supplies. Oh, the Great Redeemer, Target, has little sewing kits, and Costco (bow down when you see that!) has sewing machines, but for patterns, fabric, thread, and notions, it's those two or nothing. And Walmart is the ONLY store within about 40 miles of me that carries uniform scrubs. They're called "scrub basics" and they're very, well, basic, but they serve a purpose. A pediatric office isn't a fashion show, what with getting peed on, pooped on, puked on, etc. I did buy some nicer scrubs when I found myself near a scrub store, so I had a mixture, and I made a lot of mine, for which I frequently bought the fabric and patterns at Walmart.

I have to say I don't usually watch videos either. Some of us are just more active learners.

To both of you, I'd like to see some real research that WM destroyed these small towns. As I said previously, and have said many times here on CD, by the time Walmart arrived at the town next to mine, there was no downtown shopping left to speak of. I wonder if that's more likely the case than what people are saying. The malls took out a lot of downtowns in the 70s, and Sears, Wards and Penney's cut into these small town stores decades earlier. I have a hard time believing that a thriving grocery store *** pharmacy was "run out of business". Doesn't Walmart have a pharmacy? They can usually carry more than these tiny pharmacies anyway.

Target and Costco. If I ever need a PR firm, I'm going to hire theirs!
You do not understand...the issue is now that Walmart is leaving that they are saying their town is ruined. maybe they are lying I don't know, watch TV news and you will see the people of the town interviewed. They are many older people, and what they are saying is Walmart came into town less than 2 years ago, all their smaller business went under due to the competition, now Walmart is pulling out for greener pastures, leaving them with nothing. Many of the areas they did this in are rural and/or lower income, and people who can't afford to now drive 40 miles or are unable to drive are screwed. I don't need research, the experiences of people of the town itself are to me more valuable than any sort of statistic.

Target tends to build in already established shopping centers and shopping areas, they have not had as devastating an impact on local economies and businesses.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:27 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,066,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Wal-Mart after going into some of these small towns and forcing local business out has created "food deserts" across Alabama, Arkansas and Kansas. According to reports these Wal-Mart closings will leave Fairfield, Alabama; Coal Hill, Arkansas; and Wichita, Kansas, without a supermarket this on top of another 31 neighborhoods where the closest grocery store is 10 or more miles away.

Wal-Mart's shutdown creates new food deserts in Alabama, Arkansas, Kansas | News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | WBMA
A search for grocery stores in Fairfield AL finds a lot of stores.

Although the federal government considers a neighborhood a food desert if at least a fifth of residents live in poverty and a third live more than a mile from a supermarket in urban areas, or more than 10 miles in rural areas. Not a hard hurdle to climb. To me that is a pretty meaningless definition. (Of course I do have a car)

Old 01-28-2016, 10:33 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,953,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
You do not understand...the issue is now that Walmart is leaving that they are saying their town is ruined. maybe they are lying I don't know, watch TV news and you will see the people of the town interviewed. They are many older people, and what they are saying is Walmart came into town less than 2 years ago, all their smaller business went under due to the competition, now Walmart is pulling out for greener pastures, leaving them with nothing. Many of the areas they did this in are rural and/or lower income, and people who can't afford to now drive 40 miles or are unable to drive are screwed. I don't need research, the experiences of people of the town itself are to me more valuable than any sort of statistic.

Target tends to build in already established shopping centers and shopping areas, they have not had as devastating an impact on local economies and businesses.
The problem is that personal 'experience' tends to be highly subjective and 'statistics' often prove that 'experience' to be erroneous. For example, "all" their local businesses or just the ones they used to shop at?

In Cottonwood, AZ which is a town of around 12,000 people, there is a Walmart Supercenter. But there is also a Safeway, a Frys and a Food City. There is a Home Depot but also an Ace Hardware. There is a CVS and there is a Walgreens. There is a JCPenny and a Sears. There is no evidence that Walmart is driving these businesses out.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
The problem is that personal 'experience' tends to be highly subjective and 'statistics' often prove that 'experience' to be erroneous. For example, "all" their local businesses or just the ones they used to shop at?

In Cottonwood, AZ which is a town of around 12,000 people, there is a Walmart Supercenter. But there is also a Safeway, a Frys and a Food City. There is a Home Depot but also an Ace Hardware. There is a CVS and there is a Walgreens. There is a JCPenny and a Sears. There is no evidence that Walmart is driving these businesses out.

Okay, you're right, they're all lying.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:42 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,975,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Your kidding right? about the fights I mean. The Internet is full of fights at Walmart. I don't see people at Target or any other big box stores when they get their EBT cards get refilled. Like it or not Walmart does attract these types of people of all races.
My experience is in real life, not the internet. I avoid shopping on Black Friday. So now you have a problem with people on welfare, and people of different races?

Old 01-28-2016, 10:44 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,975,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post

That's the point of the thread title, but that's not what people have been saying throughout this thread. Post after post talks of downtowns destroyed b/c of Walmart.

Nice apologist for Target, I see. Out my way, Target came in and anchored a shopping center. Gimme a break!

Old 01-28-2016, 10:48 AM

I thought this was an honest review of what happens when Walmart comes into a town.

Is Walmart Good or Bad for America? A Debate: Events: The Independent Institute

However I disagree with this statement.

(It’s because Walmart is offering a superior product, more choices, lower prices, good parking, etc. Giving people what they want.)

Their products are NOT Superior they are the same as you can get any where else. They are often over crowded & only 5 or 6 register open at one time. Lower prices yes, because the local business have to raise there's to compete with the big box stores. My wife & I will spend the money to shop at Earth Fare, Publix, etc. The customer service is better the rest rooms are clean. Ever been inside a bath room in Walmart? It makes me want to barf thinking abut it. I can always find someone to help me not run away & give you the old " this isn't my dept" crap.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:49 AM

Quote:
That's the point of the thread title, but that's not what people have been saying throughout this thread. Post after post talks of downtowns destroyed b/c of Walmart.

Nice apologist for Target, I see. Out my way, Target came in and anchored a shopping center. Gimme a break!
Target did not have the same impact on the towns they went into, they just didn't. I go to walmart once in a while too, I am not a hater of Walmart, but they did do damage in a way no other chain has before to small towns because they used a different model for pricing and for where they went.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:51 AM

Quote:
My experience is in real life, not the internet. I avoid shopping on Black Friday. So now you have a problem with people on welfare, and people of different races?

Your blind if you haven't been to Walmart & seen people who have two or three buggies filled with food twice a month. Not talking about black Friday either. Yeah, that's it baby play the race card.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events