Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2016, 01:44 PM

17,410 posts, read 12,031,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
No, there won't. As a spelled out above, Walmart alters the shopping patterns and population patterns, generally irreversibly, of a region so that the niche that supports the mom and pop store before no longer exists. (Not to mention the destroyed logistics infrastructure when suppliers stop servicing an area because there are no longer any customers except a supercenter that will not contract with them.)
So, what?

It's a lovely fantasy that all mom and pops are these quaint little stores that only care about their communities, but that's not always the case. If you have truly ever lived in an area where those small stores were your only option, you'd know that the reality is that they were likely to gouge you with high prices and low quality because they could, being the only option. And that "mom' and "pop" didn't necessarily live in the area, but were just as likely to be absentee owners that lived a distance away.

Instead, Walmart gave people in the areas they opened stores an option to pay less. They also hire from the local population, creating jobs.

Old 01-26-2016, 01:48 PM

28,723 posts, read 18,958,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
So, what?

It's a lovely fantasy that all mom and pops are these quaint little stores that only care about their communities, but that's not always the case. If you have truly ever lived in an area where those small stores were your only option, you'd know that the reality is that they were likely to gouge you with high prices and low quality because they could, being the only option. And that "mom' and "pop" didn't necessarily live in the area, but were just as likely to be absentee owners that lived a distance away.
Nor were they necessarily selling American-made products, unless they were a specialized boutique store...but Walmart doesn't run specialized boutiques out of business.

Old 01-26-2016, 02:01 PM

36,753 posts, read 14,908,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
It is possible to hate Walmart on soooo many levels. Poor quality, jobs hustled overseas, businesses bullied, small town economies ruined. Congrats wallyworld, your chickens are finally coming home to roost.

Wal-Mart: It Came, It Conquered, Now It's Packing Up and Leaving - Bloomberg Business

Sour grapes. Walmart is simply correcting a business decision; they're not going anywhere.

Quality? Strange how the toothpaste, detergent, soap, household goods, canned and frozen brand goods, small appliances, etc., etc., are the same quality (but much cheaper) at Walmart than elsewhere.

Old 01-26-2016, 02:06 PM

11,556 posts, read 12,102,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Sour grapes. Walmart is simply correcting a business decision; they're not going anywhere.

Quality? Strange how the toothpaste, detergent, soap, household goods, canned and frozen brand goods, small appliances, etc., etc., are the same quality (but much cheaper) at Walmart than elsewhere.
Yes! When I budget for food, that amount has to include all of the extras you mentioned and we know how quickly those add up! Walmart's prices help me keep my costs down.

Old 01-26-2016, 02:08 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,791,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
So, what?

Instead, Walmart gave people in the areas they opened stores an option to pay less. They also hire from the local population, creating jobs.
You are understanding that my issue is Walmart closing stores, not opening stores, right?

Old 01-26-2016, 02:14 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,951,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I've seen some quite casual people at Walmart, but I've never yet seen any of the "people of Walmart" at a Walmart.

I've worked at a Walmart Super Center for almost six years now. Like you, I have seen some "quite casual" folks too, but I have NEVER seen people like those on the 'net. Oh wait...once I did and *I* was even in the pic! lol People behind my customer at the moment took a pic of them...and they were truly worthy! lol...and happened to catch me in it as well. But that's the only time and I did see it online. We do have a guy who teaches a clown class at the high school so he sometimes comes in the store in his clown outfit. He does turn some heads but most of us know him and don't pay attention.

Old 01-26-2016, 02:24 PM

5,346 posts, read 6,193,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Why would anyone boycott Amazon? They rock and provide access for small business owners to reach customers online. It is a different business model than Walmart, and they also have a smaller ecological footprint IMO for the merchandise they sell.

Many small business owners can sell their goods through Amazon.com. Amazon also provides good and services that would be Otherwise Unavailable. They're not putting anyone out of business, they created something new and valuable and deserve all the business they get.

Walmart on the other hand... But this will make no difference to the Waltons. They're already--pardon the phrase--richer than God. Just the environment where they paved over trees and whatnot with miles of concrete and asphalt to build their stores and the unemployed workers will suffer. Hope they can find jobs elsewhere.
So the people buying their TVs on Amazon wouldn't be buying their TVs at a local store? Would they not own TVs? What about books? Just not buy books? Lawnmowers? Toilet Paper? HDMI cables, video games, computer programs, etc. They do provide some unique services, but if you think people aren't buying stuff they used to buy in stores on Amazon you are nuts. I'm a millennial and most of my friends order everything except the food they need through Amazon or some online variant, like Zappos, etc. They are most definitely taking business from local retailers whether you choose to believe that or not.

Lol, hating on the Waltons, what about Jeff Bezos?

What a poor man....speaking of richer than God. 56 billion should put him in the top 5 in the US....what a putz.

Jeff Bezos Net Worth - TheRichest

Old 01-26-2016, 02:29 PM

16,375 posts, read 10,548,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I've seen some quite casual people at Walmart, but I've never yet seen any of the "people of Walmart" at a Walmart.
It just occurred to me that maybe I'm one of those "people at Walmart". No wonder the drunks and crazies don't bother me so much.

Old 01-26-2016, 02:31 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,978,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
So the people buying their TVs on Amazon wouldn't be buying their TVs at a local store? Would they not own TVs? What about books? Just not buy books? Lawnmowers? Toilet Paper? HDMI cables, video games, computer programs, etc. They do provide some unique services, but if you think people aren't buying stuff they used to buy in stores on Amazon you are nuts. I'm a millennial and most of my friends order everything except the food they need through Amazon or some online variant, like Zappos, etc. They are most definitely taking business from local retailers whether you choose to believe that or not.

Lol, hating on the Waltons, what about Jeff Bezos?

What a poor man....speaking of richer than God. 56 billion should put him in the top 5 in the US....what a putz.

Jeff Bezos Net Worth - TheRichest
Local and specialty retailers need to get with the program and change. Shopping habits are different now and working with Amazon - rather than trying to compete with Amazon - can introduce them to a vast new market. I have even bought speciality books on Amazon which were sourced from an Amazon partner rather than from the company itself.

Old 01-26-2016, 02:49 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,708,829 times
The only reason I hate walmart is how poorly the employees are trained and very rude service. Though its fortunate for the small businesses, its just business on the part of walmart. Like any retailer, they want to be the biggest and best (and only) choice. We shop there occasionally, for certain items but often find sales at other grocery stores beating their prices. Walmart has raised prices lately but most stores have. Quality wise, again for me the worst thing about walmart is their employees. It cannot be just because they are earning a low wage so therefor are not as willing to give good service because other minimum/low wage grocery chains (krogers, meijers, publix ect) that we have shopped at have a noticeable difference in employee attitudes.

Regarding the article, I do not think walmart is packing up and going away anytime soon. I know a couple of walmarts are closing nearby in my state and heard several of their small marketplaces are closing. I dont think it means theyre going away for good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events