Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2016, 11:10 AM

5,346 posts, read 6,189,941 times

Advertisements

I hope all the Walmart haters boycott Amazon too. I mean at least Walmart provides jobs in the towns/cities it is in. Amazon provides essentially no jobs, but still drives out retailers as they can't compete with the GM prices Amazon can offer due to not having to host a brick & mortar site and pay for the building, utilities, and personnel that come along with said location.

Old 01-26-2016, 11:16 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,578,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr11 View Post
I haven't been in a WalMart in two years. And this was not because I knew or disagreed with their policies/ tactics. I decided that my sanity wasn't worth the extra few bucks I was saving. "Always" irritating--- stocking shelves on a Sunday at noon during max business, 4 lanes open, general bottom of the barrel quality staff (or lack of training- take your pick). I once asked an employee in the produce dept if they carried basil (because I didn't see any). You would have thought I had asked for durian fruit or something.... no clue what basil was. More employees concerned about when their next break was than being expedient in checking people out. I am frugal about a lot of things, but it's worth it to me to not have to go there anymore.
Ditto. We just don't go in the place if we can avoid it. It's the lowest common denominator, and you're spending a lot of time around people who may or may not be sober, sane, or even interested in the space they occupy.

Same reasons I don't stay at cheap motels...mid-tier is fine by me.

Old 01-26-2016, 11:27 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,970,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
I hope all the Walmart haters boycott Amazon too. I mean at least Walmart provides jobs in the towns/cities it is in. Amazon provides essentially no jobs, but still drives out retailers as they can't compete with the GM prices Amazon can offer due to not having to host a brick & mortar site and pay for the building, utilities, and personnel that come along with said location.
When you live in a small town and 100 miles from the nearest big city, Amazon provides a tremendous service.

The reality is that both Amazon and Walmart provide a range of goods that smaller and/or local retailers simply do not, and cannot, offer and at prices which are affordable.

I have said it before, I do not owe any retailer a living. They get my business by offering products I need and want at affordable prices with convenience. I am not going to drive 200 miles round trip to make life easier for some brick and mortar retailer.

Old 01-26-2016, 11:45 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,599,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
Walmart has about 4,100 stores in the United States. It is closing over 100. Is that chickens coming home to roost.

Unfortunately for small store owners Walmart is able to offer better prices. But that is fortunate for residents of these small towns who can benefit from saving money.

Most consumers do not hate Walmart. If they did it would not be so successful. The average person who hates WalMart is someone who doesn't need to save money.

In small towns they run local business out of business the families are left out with no way to support their family anymore. Most of us need to save money. Would rather pay a bit more for healthy foods, you would be a fool to buy meat & fruit from them. Walmart was ONCE a different company when Walton was alive, now it's the Donald Trump of stores. Not to mention that customer service is a joke!
We will pay a little more to get to better customer service & better foods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYgwKZ_-Y9U

Last edited by reed067; 01-26-2016 at 11:59 AM..

Old 01-26-2016, 11:45 AM

17,721 posts, read 15,473,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
you sound like a former associate calling out your store by number (most folks wouldn't know that descriptor I suspect). You may think that your store was super packed at all times, but from a profitability stand point it probably didn't make as much as the new one is expected to.

I'm also sure the express stores were just a 7-11 style convenience store that sold a subset of what the neighborhood market sells. Too much competition from all the gas stations around everywhere.

The money big W throws around is mind boggling. spinning up a store is big bucks but the potential revenue can be $50-100 million a year (yes just one store)
You sound like someone who makes a lot of wrong assumptions. You assume I worked at a WalMart, and you assume that every "Express" store lost money.. And you assume that they were like a 7-11.

You're wrong on 2 of 3, at least.

Nope, never worked at or for WalMart. How do I know it's store 1250? The big sign sitting in front of the doors that says "Walmart Neighborhood Market #1250 is closing on 1/28". Plus, sending an FU to Walmart, they make you choose the store from the form on their website.

Profitability.. Well, perhaps. But, i'm not driving 20 miles to the new one. So.. That's like saying "We're closing a store in NY because the new store in Kansas will be more profitable". Math to me says that making $1 is better than making $0. Profit is profit.

Commonly, on my way home, stopping at our neighborhood market/express.. I would pick up chicken, pork chops or a steak for dinner from the meat section. Get a nice marinade for it. Some fresh apples, celery and carrots from the produce section.. Gallon or two of sweet tea from the refrigerated section. Pick up a prescription if I needed a refill. Box of Hot and Spicy Cheeze-Its.. Wet and Dry dog food if needed. Did they have the stock and selection of a Supercenter? No. But, comparing it to a 7-11 is completely and totally wrong. Comparing it to a Dollar General would be more accurate, but Walmart's selection was far better.

Old 01-26-2016, 12:07 PM

5,346 posts, read 6,189,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
When you live in a small town and 100 miles from the nearest big city, Amazon provides a tremendous service.

The reality is that both Amazon and Walmart provide a range of goods that smaller and/or local retailers simply do not, and cannot, offer and at prices which are affordable.

I have said it before, I do not owe any retailer a living. They get my business by offering products I need and want at affordable prices with convenience. I am not going to drive 200 miles round trip to make life easier for some brick and mortar retailer.
oh I completely agree with you. I just hope people saying Walmart is terrible because it crushes mom & pop's, etc. are being logically consistent and boycotting Amazon as well as I know many people that "shop" in person and then go to Amazon to buy the exact same product. No different than going to Walmart instead of Jim's corner grocer because they have cheaper prices. Amazon is driving many small retailers out of business as well.

Old 01-26-2016, 12:13 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,970,558 times
If Walmart are successful it is because they offer products and prices which are better than Mom or Pop stores can offer. And if they are driven out of business it is because better prices and a better range of goods are more attractive to most shoppers than the survival of small local stores.

Old 01-26-2016, 12:51 PM

8,339 posts, read 6,829,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post

Don't believe it?
Look it up yourself.
But be warned, you might not like what you see.

Then again, will be disgust you enough to stop going to WM to save a few cents or a couple of dollars
If so, then our country is doomed in the long run, because WM is counting on you to not care.
`
No, YOU prove it as YOU made the claim....

I know this will be buried in the back, but there's a rule that has been going around on the net, it's called "Cite your source" if you won't can't or REFUSE and say "Do you own search" you lose the argument...

Old 01-26-2016, 01:06 PM

4,288 posts, read 2,070,000 times
Quote:
oh I completely agree with you. I just hope people saying Walmart is terrible because it crushes mom & pop's, etc. are being logically consistent and boycotting Amazon as well as I know many people that "shop" in person and then go to Amazon to buy the exact same product. No different than going to Walmart instead of Jim's corner grocer because they have cheaper prices. Amazon is driving many small retailers out of business as well.
Or for that matter ordering out of the Sears Catalog years ago.

Old 01-26-2016, 01:07 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,459,818 times
Quote:
Why would anyone boycott Amazon? They rock and provide access for small business owners to reach customers online. It is a different business model than Walmart, and they also have a smaller ecological footprint IMO for the merchandise they sell.

Many small business owners can sell their goods through Amazon.com. Amazon also provides good and services that would be Otherwise Unavailable. They're not putting anyone out of business, they created something new and valuable and deserve all the business they get.

Walmart on the other hand... But this will make no difference to the Waltons. They're already--pardon the phrase--richer than God. Just the environment where they paved over trees and whatnot with miles of concrete and asphalt to build their stores and the unemployed workers will suffer. Hope they can find jobs elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events