Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2016, 06:21 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,175,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Do you shop at Target?
Target always gets a free pass

Old 01-28-2016, 06:24 AM

17,580 posts, read 15,728,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
I really wish all the Walmart stores in the US would close. Terrible customer service, low quality made in China crap and they treat their employees awful.
See as much as I don't like Wal-Mart, I would never wish such a thing on any business that provides services and goods to such a large population. That's just hateful.
I don't care for the stores, so I avoid them when possible. Same thing I do with Save-A-Lot. I don't go there. But I would never wish for ALL LOCATIONS to close, considering the amount of people who depend on them.

Old 01-28-2016, 07:11 AM

8,173 posts, read 7,560,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
I really wish all the Walmart stores in the US would close. Terrible customer service, low quality made in China crap and they treat their employees awful.

Here's a crazy idea: Don't shop there.

Old 01-28-2016, 08:27 AM

90,296 posts, read 121,119,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
I'm an average person, and I need to save money. Buying c*r*a*p from Walmart doesn't save money.

Case in point: I did have to buy something there a few months ago, because I was on the way somplace, and needed something I'd forgotten. Was drinvin through a small town, so wallyworld was the only choice (y'know, since walmart had driven out any other potential store I could stop at). Bought some dish towels (yeah, not what most people would call an emergency, but needed for the purpose of my trip). When I got back home, I washed the ones I had used. Compared to the still unwashed ones... they had shrank about 25%, got all warped out of square, and the color in them ran so much that they faded from red to pink.

On the video, you can't invest a little time to watch the video for yourself, and want someone else to digest it for you? Second hand information is ok with you? Then, you7 should accept that those who have watched the video believe that walmart is not the great deal that you think it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
In these rural towns though, Walmart has destroyed them. The people they interviewed had to shutter their own long-held businesses only a couple f years ago when Walmart came into their town, now they are leaving. In many of these towns, the local pharmacy and supermarket were run out of business, and now people have to drive 40 miles to the nearest pharmacy.

These people probably thought as you did and welcomed Walmart when they came to town, but now it was clear it was to their detriment.
kat in aiken, we get it, you don't like Walmart. I've never had these problems you talk about with Walmart goods. I have a few Walmart items of clothing that have lasted for years. Of course, I don't buy everything there.Walmart and, get this, Hobby Lobby, are the ONLY stores in my local shopping area (tow small town-type suburbs) that sell fabric and other sewing supplies. Oh, the Great Redeemer, Target, has little sewing kits, and Costco (bow down when you see that!) has sewing machines, but for patterns, fabric, thread, and notions, it's those two or nothing. And Walmart is the ONLY store within about 40 miles of me that carries uniform scrubs. They're called "scrub basics" and they're very, well, basic, but they serve a purpose. A pediatric office isn't a fashion show, what with getting peed on, pooped on, puked on, etc. I did buy some nicer scrubs when I found myself near a scrub store, so I had a mixture, and I made a lot of mine, for which I frequently bought the fabric and patterns at Walmart.

I have to say I don't usually watch videos either. Some of us are just more active learners.

To both of you, I'd like to see some real research that WM destroyed these small towns. As I said previously, and have said many times here on CD, by the time Walmart arrived at the town next to mine, there was no downtown shopping left to speak of. I wonder if that's more likely the case than what people are saying. The malls took out a lot of downtowns in the 70s, and Sears, Wards and Penney's cut into these small town stores decades earlier. I have a hard time believing that a thriving grocery store *** pharmacy was "run out of business". Doesn't Walmart have a pharmacy? They can usually carry more than these tiny pharmacies anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
Target always gets a free pass
Target and Costco. If I ever need a PR firm, I'm going to hire theirs!

Old 01-28-2016, 08:48 AM

4,992 posts, read 5,335,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
kat in aiken, we get it, you don't like Walmart. I've never had these problems you talk about with Walmart goods. I have a few Walmart items of clothing that have lasted for years. Of course, I don't buy everything there.Walmart and, get this, Hobby Lobby, are the ONLY stores in my local shopping area (tow small town-type suburbs) that sell fabric and other sewing supplies. Oh, the Great Redeemer, Target, has little sewing kits, and Costco (bow down when you see that!) has sewing machines, but for patterns, fabric, thread, and notions, it's those two or nothing. And Walmart is the ONLY store within about 40 miles of me that carries uniform scrubs. They're called "scrub basics" and they're very, well, basic, but they serve a purpose. A pediatric office isn't a fashion show, what with getting peed on, pooped on, puked on, etc. I did buy some nicer scrubs when I found myself near a scrub store, so I had a mixture, and I made a lot of mine, for which I frequently bought the fabric and patterns at Walmart.

I have to say I don't usually watch videos either. Some of us are just more active learners.

To both of you, I'd like to see some real research that WM destroyed these small towns. As I said previously, and have said many times here on CD, by the time Walmart arrived at the town next to mine, there was no downtown shopping left to speak of. I wonder if that's more likely the case than what people are saying. The malls took out a lot of downtowns in the 70s, and Sears, Wards and Penney's cut into these small town stores decades earlier. I have a hard time believing that a thriving grocery store *** pharmacy was "run out of business". Doesn't Walmart have a pharmacy? They can usually carry more than these tiny pharmacies anyway.

Target and Costco. If I ever need a PR firm, I'm going to hire theirs!
Target and Costco don't need a PR firm. It's basic. People like customer service and value. You can't find help in many WalMarts. You ask a question and someone will shrug or walk off. They don't care. I can find someone to talk to in Costco and Walmart. They will go help me look or find someone who knows. WalMart is usually last in line for trends. Target and Costco will have items that are still ahead of the curve compared to WalMart. I may not be able to afford some big name brand designer, but I can buy clothes and other items at Costco and Target that make me look like I look like I have some idea about fashion. WalMart clothes are of often shapeless. I won't be naked if I buy clothes there, but it doesn't have the same look. Not trying to be snobby because not everything at Walmart is bad. You don't recognize the difference until you start shopping elsewhere.

One other thing I can say about Target and Costco and I know this isn't 100% true. I have never seen people get into fights or shoplift and I don't see people who appear to be under the influence of drugs. I've seen that multiple times at WalMart.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:01 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,604,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
. Not trying to be snobby because not everything at Walmart is bad. You don't recognize the difference until you start shopping elsewhere.

One other thing I can say about Target and Costco and I know this isn't 100% true. I have never seen people get into fights or shoplift and I don't see people who appear to be under the influence of drugs. I've seen that multiple times at WalMart.

Sadly your right here. People in Target & stores like Costco seem more well behaved then the typical shopper at Walmart. Ever see that site people of Walmart? Scary when you look at it.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:29 AM

7,584 posts, read 5,357,520 times
Quote:
Target and Costco don't need a PR firm.

Seriously, Target spends millions on PR and quite frankly doesn't treat its employees any better than Wal-Mart, so yeah Target always does get a pass.

Now I will grant to that Target may have a better line of women's wear but Wal-Mart, and Target are nip and tuck when it comes to men's. As for Costco, I love Costco but when it comes to clothing, seriously?

One last thing, Wal-Mart's online product line puts Target to shame.

Now back on topic...

Wal-Mart after going into some of these small towns and forcing local business out has created "food deserts" across Alabama, Arkansas and Kansas. According to reports these Wal-Mart closings will leave Fairfield, Alabama; Coal Hill, Arkansas; and Wichita, Kansas, without a supermarket this on top of another 31 neighborhoods where the closest grocery store is 10 or more miles away.

Wal-Mart's shutdown creates new food deserts in Alabama, Arkansas, Kansas | News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | WBMA

Old 01-28-2016, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Target and Costco don't need a PR firm. It's basic. People like customer service and value. You can't find help in many WalMarts. You ask a question and someone will shrug or walk off. They don't care. I can find someone to talk to in Costco and Walmart. They will go help me look or find someone who knows. WalMart is usually last in line for trends. Target and Costco will have items that are still ahead of the curve compared to WalMart. I may not be able to afford some big name brand designer, but I can buy clothes and other items at Costco and Target that make me look like I look like I have some idea about fashion. WalMart clothes are of often shapeless. I won't be naked if I buy clothes there, but it doesn't have the same look. Not trying to be snobby because not everything at Walmart is bad. You don't recognize the difference until you start shopping elsewhere.

Oh, come on! Target does have PR people. Take a look at this:
https://corporate.target.com/careers...communications
Target Gets Local With On-the-Field Team of PR Pros | News - AdAge

Costco, OTOH, surprisingly, does not have a PR firm, at least as of about 2 1/2 years ago.
10 Fascinating Facts About Costco - Neatorama

They do, however, have a whole different business model, which also fits in the below:
Why Wal-Mart Will Never Pay Like Costco - Bloomberg View
"Costco really is a store where affluent, high-socioeconomic status households occasionally buy huge quantities of goods on the cheap: That's Costco's business strategy (which is why its stores are pretty much found in affluent near-in suburbs). Wal-Mart, however, is mostly a store where low-income people do their everyday shopping."

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Sadly your right here. People in Target & stores like Costco seem more well behaved then the typical shopper at Walmart. Ever see that site people of Walmart? Scary when you look at it.
Both you and the above poster are quite judgmental about other people, I see. Do you not think "those people" have to shop as well? I have never seen a fight in any retail store. Plenty of hits for shoplifting at both stores on Google.

Here's another Costco vs Walmart comparison:
Forbes Welcome
"It’s (Costco's) members pay anywhere from $55 to $110 for the pleasure of shopping there. That fee is a barrier to entry for a very large portion of the population.
Costco sells items in bulk. That 50-roll pack of toilet paper may cost less per unit than the 24-pack sold at another store, but the shopper still needs to pay the higher total price at the outset and for many, budgets do not allow for that luxury."

An interesting article about shoplifting:
The Shoplifter: Target vs. Wal-Mart pt.1: The nature of Target
"Even morning radio shows have openly made fun of shoplifters who attempt to steal from Target rather than Wal-Mart."

Old 01-28-2016, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Seriously, Target spends millions on PR and quite frankly doesn't treat its employees any better than Wal-Mart, so yeah Target always does get a pass.

Now I will grant to that Target may have a better line of women's wear but Wal-Mart, and Target are nip and tuck when it comes to men's. As for Costco, I love Costco but when it comes to clothing, seriously?

Now back on topic...

Wal-Mart after going into some of these small towns and forcing local business out has created "food deserts" across Alabama, Arkansas and Kansas. According to reports these Wal-Mart closings will leave Fairfield, Alabama; Coal Hill, Arkansas; and Wichita, Kansas, without a supermarket this on top of another 31 neighborhoods where the closest grocery store is 10 or more miles away.

Wal-Mart's shutdown creates new food deserts in Alabama, Arkansas, Kansas | News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | WBMA
My educated guess is some other grocers will move into these markets.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:49 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,981,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post

Now back on topic...

Wichita, KS is the 49th largest city in the United States. Really, I hardly think they will miss the closed stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events