Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 11:23 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,494,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyXY View Post
No, it's not just the guys doing it - I've heard of some Millennial ladies doing it too, including one in my extended family (you could probably search the Internet for some other examples).
Wow. This was honestly the first I ever heard of it, but I'm older.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2016, 11:25 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Who is "older" and doesn't know how to use a computer? I'm in my fifties and have been using a computer for email, word processing and statistical analysis since college. Or maybe you're talking about the men in their 50's and up who didn't think they needed to learn how to touch type (not being women who might end up in the "secretarial pool"?).
Yeah, I was thinking the same. I was well into my sixties at my last job still trying to teach 20 and 30 year old guys how to use the simplest programs when inputting their sales reports into our computers. Half the time I had to just wind up doing it for them when they couldn't get the hang of it no matter how many times I showed them how to do it.

I've been using computers ever since they plopped one on my desk in the 70's and before Windows when you could only open one screen at a time.

Okay, just so I won't be accused of going OT, I don't see the problem with silver hair on young people. Or even grey. Celebrities do it all the time. Sia wears a white wig. This whole thing just sounds like another trend that will burn out when people get tired of it. Not a big deal.

Old 02-06-2016, 11:25 PM

4,541 posts, read 1,159,404 times
This is ridiculous.

Old 02-07-2016, 04:58 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,555,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I'm retiring next month and thinking about doing my hair in sapphire or teal, mostly to drive my purple-haired daughter nuts.

She called me from a coffee shop in the city where she lives and said, "Mommy, everybody here has colored hair and a pierced septum just like me."

I told her that's what happens when you're a conformist. You look like everybody else. Be different!
Yes! I loved the 80's, everyone was well dressed and doing crazy things with their hair...not much different than today. I love the purples, greens, and blue colors the kids are putting in their hair...I think it's wild and looks great. People across all time have wanted to do something unique. As long as they are not hurting anything let it be. It's an expression.

Old 02-07-2016, 05:48 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,355,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Who is "older" and doesn't know how to use a computer? I'm in my fifties and have been using a computer for email, word processing and statistical analysis since college. Or maybe you're talking about the men in their 50's and up who didn't think they needed to learn how to touch type (not being women who might end up in the "secretarial pool"?).
That's what I don't understand at my job. At night, I am working with three other people---two over the age of forty and one over the age of sixty. They have been working since they graduated from HS and subsequently college. They have been working in this profession for over twenty years, which requires the use of computers. I am talking about men and women. For the life of me, I don't understand why they can't use basic Microsoft Office programs. We don't use those types of programs very often but we are on the computer every day, mostly using other software. Unfortunately, this seems sort of commonplace in my profession and I don't get it.

I have to help them with basic things, like searching through e-mails (or even finding the icon to get to their email in the first place ) or filling in an Excel file that is already loaded and ready to go. They were blown away that I was finding pictures of things to look at (sometimes you're not quite sure what you're looking at so you look for images to support your theory, so to speak) and they were blown away that I was doing that. I was literally just typing something like, "ATYPICAL LYMPHOCYTE" into Google and looking at images. I wish I was exaggerating, but they were like, "Man, I wish I knew computers like you."

Practically everyone who works the evening and night shift (in my field) over the age of forty is like this and I would be more understanding if they were new to the working world---but they are not. I don't know why but day shift seems to be much better with the computers.

Old 02-07-2016, 05:51 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,845,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
The folly of youth. And here I color MY hair to look younger.
I asked the gal that cut my hair if they color hair. She must have been all of 20 or so, with the whitest hair, I have ever seen; she said everyone wants white now. (Thinking to myself; wait 50 years, and it's yours! ) Some movie stars, like Marilyn Monroe, seems like Carol Lombard (before my time) were very blonde; (did they call it platinum blonde?) Styles go around and come back again. At least, I am "with it," now. Ha!!

Old 02-07-2016, 06:24 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,762,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I'm retiring next month and thinking about doing my hair in sapphire or teal, mostly to drive my purple-haired daughter nuts.

She called me from a coffee shop in the city where she lives and said, "Mommy, everybody here has colored hair and a pierced septum just like me."

I told her that's what happens when you're a conformist. You look like everybody else. Be different!
Reminds me of my younger brother and his friends during high school when they all dressed in black rock band shirts, wore the same kinds of shoes and ripped jeans and had the same basic hairstyle to look different.

As far as gray hair, I have prematurely gray hair and I'll have to say I think it did help when I was running construction job sites in my mid twenties that it had become visible by then. Now I'm 45 and well past salt and pepper, though not quite to Roger Sterling, but almost.

Old 02-07-2016, 07:14 AM

79 posts, read 53,896 times
I have dyed my hair pretty much every color of the rainbow, but developed a PPd allergy a few years ago. It's a compound found in almost all commercial dye, which pretty much put an end to my hair color experimentation. I do like the pastel colors that have been popular lately, though. That lavender blonde and very, very pale pink are nice on some people. The pale purples do look silver/grey sometimes, but the headline is probably stretching it.

It is weird how many people have such strong reactions and judgements toward bright hair and piercings. Thankfully, I work in a creative field from home, so no one cares what we look like, but I have a bobbed brown wig for professional settings if my hair is wild. The important thing is to be adaptable. A person shouldn't have to hide who they are, but employers do have a right to request a certain image within reason (ie: grooming, dress code etc.).

Old 02-07-2016, 08:12 AM

1,863 posts, read 1,652,865 times
Adolescent behavior and mindset seems to be creeping further forward chronologically. 30 year-olds behave as 16 year-olds once did. A whole segment of the population are frozen in peripubescence. Where are society's adults going?

Old 02-07-2016, 08:32 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Just another example of more money than brains and the inability to be yourself, pathetic.
The idea that people should just "be themselves" is a myth. What exactly is "being yourself"? "Being yourself" is not a static, singular phenomenon. Each of us displays more than one self. People are never "themselves" all the time, including you most likely, CSD. We display different personas around different people depending on the situation. When we're at work, we usually have to work with people we dislike, thus we act more agreeable than we would be at home and even when we run out of steam, we keep going because that's what the job demands of us. We want to stay employed, so we do it. When we first start dating someone, we want to make a good impression, so we avoid passing gas, act interested in all our date's conversations, dress to the nines, and compliment them frequently.

When we're at home, we may act more introverted when we're out with out friends, dress more casually, forego wearing makeup, and leave the house cluttered. When we go out for a night on the town, we're gregarious, dress up, go places we wouldn't otherwise because that's where our friends want to go. I'm not surprised young people want to look older. The comments here prove that lots of people automatically have negative stereotypes of young people. Each of us are individuals; age alone doesn't determine character.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events