Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 09:17 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Why do you assume that gray automatically means they're doing it to look old? Silver is not gray...silver is just another color.

Some people dye their hair green - are they trying to look like lizards?
I agree. Silver is just another fashion trend; and, if done well, I think it's beautiful. Remember when the 'frosted' look was in?? That often gave hair a 'silver' hue especially if you used a shampoo like Shimmer Lights' to enhance the silver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Yes! I loved the 80's, everyone was well dressed and doing crazy things with their hair...not much different than today. I love the purples, greens, and blue colors the kids are putting in their hair...I think it's wild and looks great. People across all time have wanted to do something unique. As long as they are not hurting anything let it be. It's an expression.
I love it too! Especially if done well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyon Rose View Post
I have dyed my hair pretty much every color of the rainbow, but developed a PPd allergy a few years ago. It's a compound found in almost all commercial dye, which pretty much put an end to my hair color experimentation. I do like the pastel colors that have been popular lately, though. That lavender blonde and very, very pale pink are nice on some people. The pale purples do look silver/grey sometimes, but the headline is probably stretching it.

It is weird how many people have such strong reactions and judgements toward bright hair and piercings. Thankfully, I work in a creative field from home, so no one cares what we look like, but I have a bobbed brown wig for professional settings if my hair is wild. The important thing is to be adaptable. A person shouldn't have to hide who they are, but employers do have a right to request a certain image within reason (ie: grooming, dress code etc.).
I love those pastel colors! Lavender blonde and then I saw a regular blond but with kind of . .subtle rose/pink hightlights. So pretty.

I have two things preventing me from trying it ~ I'm 54 and work in a very conservative industry. And my hair dresser is a big fan of the 'natural' look. But I would love those pale pink highlights in my streaked hair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2016, 09:36 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,557,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I agree. Silver is just another fashion trend; and, if done well, I think it's beautiful. Remember when the 'frosted' look was in?? That often gave hair a 'silver' hue especially if you used a shampoo like Shimmer Lights' to enhance the silver.

I love it too! Especially if done well.

I love those pastel colors! Lavender blonde and then I saw a regular blond but with kind of . .subtle rose/pink hightlights. So pretty.

I have two things preventing me from trying it ~ I'm 54 and work in a very conservative industry. And my hair dresser is a big fan of the 'natural' look. But I would love those pale pink highlights in my streaked hair.

Pale pink would look just fine in blonde hair. I do understand about your hob though....it's sad when someone feels stifled. Hope you find a way

Old 02-07-2016, 10:44 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,158,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
This is an interesting social phenomenon wherein younger people dye their hair to look older. Astounding.

Millennials dying hair gray as part of new fashion trend | New York's PIX11 / WPIX-TV
The comb over is a new popular look by hipsters.

Old 02-07-2016, 05:38 PM

1,038 posts, read 902,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
This is an interesting social phenomenon wherein younger people dye their hair to look older. Astounding.

Millennials dying hair gray as part of new fashion trend | New York's PIX11 / WPIX-TV

Its not that surprising

the population in Western societies is Ageing

alongside this comes a whole new generation of Older Designers and Fashion Icons

Previous generations tended to suffer from things like World Wars and Depressions; now we have free trade with China so have far more access to bling and cheap fashion

As the population ages, the Fashion Ideal will also age

we will see Octogenarians on the runways soon!

Old 02-07-2016, 06:34 PM

22,845 posts, read 6,437,988 times
Grey hair, I'm on my way! At 69 I'm getting grey around the temples and some in the back, but
I'm still mostly natural honey blond...I'll probably be dying it back to blond later though...not sure
I'll like grey on me....

Old 02-08-2016, 06:54 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
That's what I don't understand at my job. At night, I am working with three other people---two over the age of forty and one over the age of sixty. They have been working since they graduated from HS and subsequently college. They have been working in this profession for over twenty years, which requires the use of computers. I am talking about men and women. For the life of me, I don't understand why they can't use basic Microsoft Office programs. We don't use those types of programs very often but we are on the computer every day, mostly using other software. Unfortunately, this seems sort of commonplace in my profession and I don't get it.

I have to help them with basic things, like searching through e-mails (or even finding the icon to get to their email in the first place ) or filling in an Excel file that is already loaded and ready to go. They were blown away that I was finding pictures of things to look at (sometimes you're not quite sure what you're looking at so you look for images to support your theory, so to speak) and they were blown away that I was doing that. I was literally just typing something like, "ATYPICAL LYMPHOCYTE" into Google and looking at images. I wish I was exaggerating, but they were like, "Man, I wish I knew computers like you."

Practically everyone who works the evening and night shift (in my field) over the age of forty is like this and I would be more understanding if they were new to the working world---but they are not. I don't know why but day shift seems to be much better with the computers.
Wow, this sounds like a work place from another planet to me.

I'm in my fifties and have worked in environments requiring decent computer skills for decades. I've known a few people - of every age - who weren't particularly tech savvy - but I've never worked in any office where people my age didn't know much about computers or had to be "helped" by the younger people with their basic daily work requirements.

I did realize, with horror, a few years ago, that a young woman in my department had absolutely no idea how to check her emails. This was shocking to me, but did explain a lot about why she didn't seem to "get" so much of what was going on. She was in her early 30s. I am still confused about how she got a degree and a professional job being so tech impaired but oh well.

One thing that younger people may need to be reminded of though, or may not even realize, is that many people in their fifties completely missed the whole "personal computer" thing when they were in school or as children. If you grow up with computers, they are as familiar as a toaster to you. Personally, there simply weren't any computer classes at all for me when I was in high school or college. All that came into play after I was already in the workforce, and I learned my computer skills on the job - while actually doing a job that was NOT computer based. So I learned on the fly, and so did most people my age and older.

Heck, I didn't even have a computer at home till the mid 1990s. I had already been a working adult for fifteen years by then.

Old 02-08-2016, 07:27 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
Those people who have a hard time at work - its because the job did not provide them a class (you can have a class in a day or two) which will teach people how to do Excel, or email or whatever.. the job needs to teach them so they can do their job.

Old 02-08-2016, 07:33 AM

854 posts, read 586,081 times
My bf doesn't have to do that. The stress of his last job caused him to start going grey in the back in his 20's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events