Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 03:53 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,276,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howiester View Post
The real question is where did the lawyers representing Thomas Jefferson Law School get their law degrees.
Good question.

The lead attorney, Michael C. Sullivan, went to Berkeley.

https://www.bestlawyers.com/lawyers/...ullivan/50766/

And in a really bizarre coincidence, it turns out that I went to law school with one of his partners! Not just the same school, we were the same year. Not really friends but I knew him.

And their other attorney, and General Counsel of the Law School, went to Washington & Lee.

Karin K. Sherr | Thomas Jefferson School of Law

This is the complete directory, I didn't bother to click through on everyone but if someone wants to take a look and see if they employ any of their own graduates, that would be quite interesting.

Faculty Profiles | Thomas Jefferson School of Law
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 04:13 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,669,014 times
She turned down an offer from a law firm for $60k/yr even if that wasn't her dream job it would have gotten her experience to build a resume and try another firm down the road. This is how the real world works you don't get a $200k/yr job right out of law school. You don't make partner on day one. She is a leper now no law firm is gonna hire her.

Old 03-10-2016, 05:02 PM

2,261 posts, read 1,143,914 times
Its been ten years. 5 since she filed the suit. If she didnt successfully build her career by now, maybe she just sucks as a lawyer? I get that she has a case, but I suspect she wanted the opportunities given to her and didnt earn her way into anything. Im a C student from a low rent college, I had to sell my ass off during interviews to get the jobs I have. I just started this in 2011, and now Im doing 50k. Its only been 5 years. If in 5 more years Im not doing at least 70, then Im not trying hard enough.

Methinks shes a money grubbing lazyass rather than someone looking to sue based on principles. MAybe she realized how hard she would have to work reading boring documents before she decided she aint a lawyer, and now shes suing.

Old 03-10-2016, 08:21 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,611,052 times
Perhaps someone already pointed this out, but wasn't this on an episode of "The Good Wife" a few weeks ago?

Old 03-14-2016, 07:41 AM

774 posts, read 748,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
Methinks shes a money grubbing lazyass rather than someone looking to sue based on principles. MAybe she realized how hard she would have to work reading boring documents before she decided she aint a lawyer, and now shes suing.

She could have practiced on her own if she had any ambition. She just wants the student loans to go away. I say fine. Waive them. Along with her degree and license.

Old 03-14-2016, 08:34 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,395,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariez149 View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/07/bu...pgtype=article

More at link.

Personally I find it ridiculous. Just because you graduate doesn't guarantee you a job.

What stopped her from starting a private practice?

Old 03-14-2016, 08:42 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,395,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
She elected to get her degree from a bottom of the barrel law school and is suing because she only received one job offer which she turned down? Most employers would want their attorneys to be bright enough to do a little research on their own before making such a huge commitment.

Acceptance rate: 82.6%. Bottom 10%

Median LSAT. 144. Bottom 10%

Median Undergraduate GPA. 2.74. Bottom 10%

Employment rate of graduates. 59.7%. Bottom 10%

Bar pass rate. 49%. Bottom 10%

If you pass the bar exam, you are EQUAL in the eyes of the courts. I do not agree that better schools have better students although the better law firms recruit only from specific colleges.

Old 03-14-2016, 09:00 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,276,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspistol View Post
She could have practiced on her own if she had any ambition. She just wants the student loans to go away. I say fine. Waive them. Along with her degree and license.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
What stopped her from starting a private practice?
Non-attorneys I'm assuming? It's not that easy to just start up a practice and it takes money to do it.

I am not saying that I think she should win her case, at least in terms of the fact that she turned down a job offer, although I do think there should be ramifications if the school did in fact falsify their employment stats.

But aside from it needing a particular type of entrepreneurial personality to have your own practice, it's not like you can just snap your fingers and do it, and particularly not generate any actual revenue when you have no experience, no contacts, no money to try to advertise for clients, no money to pay for an office or office equipment or malpractice insurance.

Old 06-17-2016, 01:46 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,584,725 times
Here's another similar case: Harvard Grad Sues Over Failed Bar Exam | The Daily Caller

Old 06-17-2016, 01:56 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,666,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlestix View Post
Yeah it's Harvard and New York's fault she failed twice! How on earth does she think she'll make it as a lawyer? They have to be quick on their feet. No court is going to give her 6 months to prepare a brief that takes 1 day to file. She's not going to get 3 hours to ask 5 questions at a trial. Who wants a lawyer who can't think and react without having a panic attack. She's dreaming! She needs professional help. She won't make it as a lawyer.

I know people who go to law school and have no interest in becoming a lawyer, but us the JD in their job. Sounds like many of these I failed the bar and it's someone else's fault should do....maybe collect shopping carts at Walmart and grocery stores?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events