Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2018, 06:42 PM

18,969 posts, read 11,636,687 times

Advertisements

Several posts have been deleted. Please don’t quote posts from 2 years ago in order to push an autism agenda. Please stay on topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2018, 10:16 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,890,670 times
These parents were too stupid to recognize symptoms that betokened potentially serious disease process.

That they also were anti-immunizations isn't terribly relevant; they are plainly stupid, period.

I didn't vaccinate two of my four (now adults in their mid-30s) and greatly delayed and spaced out the immunizations I gave the last two (now young adults).

I'm hardly an alternative medicine believer, trust me. I am a scientist by nature, training and experience yet I still think immunization should be case by case and not universally applied, either for or against.

My master's is in medical genetics; I retired from research and worked 27 years closely with MDs and PhDs and knew personally several pediatricians and researchers who refused to immunize their own children but would never, ever admit that in "certain" company/at work/ nor to their patients.

Point being not all who decline immunizations are stupid/hippie types/Bach remedy believers and that these parents are imbeciles is the crux of the matter.

Old 05-23-2018, 10:24 AM

14,472 posts, read 14,430,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1957 View Post
These parents were too stupid to recognize symptoms that betokened potentially serious disease process.

That they also were anti-immunizations isn't terribly relevant; they are plainly stupid, period.

I didn't vaccinate two of my four (now adults in their mid-30s) and greatly delayed and spaced out the immunizations I gave the last two (now young adults).

I'm hardly an alternative medicine believer, trust me. I am a scientist by nature, training and experience yet I still think immunization should be case by case and not universally applied, either for or against.

My master's is in medical genetics; I retired from research and worked 27 years closely with MDs and PhDs and knew personally several pediatricians and researchers who refused to immunize their own children but would never, ever admit that in "certain" company/at work/ nor to their patients.

Point being not all who decline immunizations are stupid/hippie types/Bach remedy believers and that these parents are imbeciles is the crux of the matter.
I disagree with you. However, more importantly, your post is off topic. We aren't talking here about immunizing. Except for perhaps the meningitis vaccine. We are talking about the case involving this Canadian family and failure to get treatment for meningitis. I'm sure with your degree in medical genetics, you understand that.

Old 05-23-2018, 12:24 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,110,289 times
The bottom line is that they suspected meningitis. Their nurse "friend" said it could be meningitis, they Googled meningitis, they asked their holistic practitioner about treatments for meningitis, the child was too stiff to get into the car seat...they did not think it was all just a passing thing and no big deal. They CLEARLY suspected a serious illness and did not call for help until the child had stopped breathing.

It's not about what happened before the illness, it's about what happened once he fell ill. Or what didn't happen. For two weeks. Even if the "right" ambulance had gotten there in 10 minutes, well...oxygen loss... So sad.

Old 05-23-2018, 01:02 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,955,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
From the article:

Yes, it is your right to treat your child. But that involves actually treating that child. Pseudoscientific quackery is not treatment - it is denial of treatment.

Your child had rights. One of those was the right to treatment. Now he's dead because he didn't get treatment. He was denied his rights.

Agreed! The child had the right to treatment...oh, so very sad...just hard to believe some of the weirdo stories regarding some parents...

Old 09-22-2019, 08:48 AM

26,661 posts, read 13,825,697 times
Another update, The Stephans were found not guilty.

Quote:
The physical evidence supports Dr. Sauvageau’s conclusion that Ezekiel died because he was deprived of oxygen,” Clackson said in his written ruling. “That occurred because he stopped breathing and the resulting oxygen deprivation lasted long enough to lead to his death.”

Sauvageau testified Ezekiel had a form of respiratory ailment, laryngotracheobronchitis, or croup, which blocked his airway and stopped his breathing.

“I accept Dr. Sauvageau’s opinion. Ezekiel stopped breathing from laryngotracheobronchitis.
https://calgarysun.com/news/crime/al...r-second-trial

Quote:
In his ruling, the judge said that there was no physical evidence that the toddler died of meningitis and that the Crown had therefore failed to prove its case. Testimony indicated the boy was without oxygen for nearly nine minutes because the ambulance that took him to hospital wasn’t properly stocked with breathing equipment to fit a child.

“The physical evidence supports … (the) conclusion that Ezekiel died because he was deprived of oxygen. That occurred because he stopped breathing and the resulting oxygen deprivation lasted long enough to lead to his death,” Clackson wrote.

The judge added that the Crown did not prove that medical attention would have saved the boy’s life.
https://globalnews.ca/news/5922905/d...decision-2019/

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Update:

The Stephans appealed this matter all the way to the Supreme Court of Canada. It looks like their appeal to the Supreme Court of Canada was successful--in a way. The Supreme Court has quashed the convictions and ordered a new trial:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...eath-1.4663483

A date for the new trial has not been set, but apparently, the trial will again be in Lethbridge.
And some testimony from the trial. https://lethbridgeherald.com/news/le...r-pathologist/

Last edited by MissTerri; 09-22-2019 at 09:35 AM..

Old 09-22-2019, 06:24 PM

Quote:
"Many people are angry that we are not guilty, and many people are overjoyed that we're not guilty, and it all comes down to what is the truth."
https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/people-ar...sion-1.4603353

I think this quote in particular is apt in regards to this thread. I bet a lot of people who commented are angry that the Stephans were found not guilty but the truth matters and I believe that this was the right decision based upon the available evidence.

Old 09-22-2019, 11:48 PM

1,159 posts, read 626,807 times
I absolutely hate any parent against vaccines. My owndumb sister is against them... So silly and ignorant. The vaccines help stop so many illnesses.... And yet they go against PROOF and medical advice. Sad. Really people need a full mental and medical check before being allowed to have kids.

Old 09-22-2019, 11:51 PM

1,159 posts, read 626,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VexedAndSolitary View Post

That degree clearly didn't get you far. What you did/ didn't do for your own children is really wrong. My sister certainly isn't The hippie type either; yet she was against vaccines. Why why are you so against something that is proven to avoid illness and death???!!!

Old 09-23-2019, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilLisa83 View Post
That degree clearly didn't get you far. What you did/ didn't do for your own children is really wrong. My sister certainly isn't The hippie type either; yet she was against vaccines. Why why are you so against something that is proven to avoid illness and death???!!!
The judge ruled that the boy’s illness was due to viral meningitis based on the pathologist report and her expert testimony and even if the boy had gotten every vaccine on the schedule, it would not have prevented viral meningitis. The parents were found not guilty in case you missed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events