Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2016, 07:51 AM

44,252 posts, read 64,642,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
I don't know. Its easy to set back and say stuff like this and look real smart. If you look at all the charities and charitable giving that religious people do it would be hard to arrive at your conclusion.

I am not a particularly religious person, but outfits like the Salvation Army do a whole lot of good. I have seen the good they do first hand. I have watched them get water, food, clothes and shelter to large groups of people in this country during natural disasters days before the government does anything.

If someone has real experience assisting in a disaster area or have been impacted by a natural disaster then its hard to ignore all the good that religion does.

This doesn't even scratch the surface of how many soup kitchens, food banks, clothing banks etc run by churches across this country. People in need they feed on a daily basis.
Your comments make the assumption that no one else would have stepped up and created charitable organizations, etc, if it weren't for religious groups.

Which we know is totally not true.

Old 03-27-2016, 07:54 AM

3,541 posts, read 2,888,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
One simple question:

Would the "progressive" angst in this thread be as great if the title read: Muslim Parents Voice Objection to Yoga Lessons?
I wonder about this also, most likely the progs would be howling in outrage about a white Christian principal trying to force Hinduism down the throats of the poor repressed Muslims.

Bill

Old 03-27-2016, 07:57 AM

12,883 posts, read 14,085,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Your comments make the assumption that no one else would have stepped up and created charitable organizations, etc, if it weren't for religious groups.

No they don't. I didn't get that vibe at all from the post. Anyone can step up and create a charitable group regardless of the existence of religious ones.

The fact is religions, particularly IMO especially in our county Christian charities, are very giving and helpful. Even local churches are a haven for people in need and the priests and a good chunk of the congregation are very helpful. You can't let the fundamentalists and extremists of religions taint all the good they do. There are extremists in pretty much every group and category out there, it is inevitable - even political groups. Far left and right, with such extreme opinions they seem crazy to those in the middle, who make up the majority.

Old 03-27-2016, 08:03 AM

31,038 posts, read 19,620,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Schools around the nation are adding yoga programs, which have proven to help reduce students’ stress and anxiety levels. But one Georgia district found the reaction to its lessons anything but calm.
Bullard Elementary School in Kennesaw decided to make changes to its yoga classes after Christian parents complained about the Hindu origins of the exercises.
“No prayer in schools. Some don’t even say the pledge, yet they’re pushing ideology on our students,” mother Susan Jaramillo told 11Alive. “Some of those things are religious practices that we don’t want our children doing in our schools.”
The school hasn’t cancelled yoga; however, principal Patrice Moore sent a letter of apology to parents and vowed to tweak the program.

Yoga can also help children with anger issues, bullying or anxiety over school work, Crawford said.

Christian Parents Freak Out Over Yoga Lessons At Georgia Elementary School

More control from the religious community. I'm assuming that parents would rather have their kids hooked on over the counter drugs because it's worked so very well for their parents.
I am one for not having any religious teaching in schools but this isn't teaching kids about religion either.
The hypocritical nature of most anti Christians is always fascinating to see. If yoga had originated in Christianity, there's no way it would be allowed in public schools but because of its Hindu origins, most liberals and anti Christians support it.

I am Christian and active yoga practitioner....I don't think we should throw out great teachings from Christianity or Hindu or Buddhism just because they originated from religion but most liberals only want to throw out anything from Christianity.. Unfortunately for anti Christians and liberal atheists, Christianity has spawned the greatest civilization in the history of the world...no matter how much you try to diss it, it works fabulously.

Old 03-27-2016, 08:22 AM

1,909 posts, read 2,058,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post

Nope. I am just pointing out the current facts and state of charities. If you were to remove every dollar of charitable giving done by religion you would wipe out 75% of its funding. Would non-religious charitable donations fill that? I don't know, but it wouldn't happen immediately and there would be a lot more suffering in this world if they didn't.

The point of my post was not to claim that no one else would step up, although so far no one else has. It was to refute the tired and ignorant claim that "religion does more harm than good". Sure religion causes plenty of harm, today and in the past. It also does a lot of good and some religions have over the years focused on bringing the good and leaving the bad in the past. Some religions still have some work to do in this regard.

Old 03-27-2016, 08:30 AM

17,154 posts, read 13,053,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
The hypocritical nature of most anti Christians is always fascinating to see. If yoga had originated in Christianity, there's no way it would be allowed in public schools but because of its Hindu origins, most liberals and anti Christians support it.

I am Christian and active yoga practitioner....I don't think we should throw out great teachings from Christianity or Hindu or Buddhism just because they originated from religion but most liberals only want to throw out anything from Christianity.. Unfortunately for anti Christians and liberal atheists, Christianity has spawned the greatest civilization in the history of the world...no matter how much you try to diss it, it works fabulously.
I'm not sure what you're saying. Are you saying America is the best civilization in the history of the world? If you are, that is a rather ethnocentric comment and one which could be argued against quite successfully. Besides, America isn't a Christian nation; just read the Constitution. Just because a majority of the people CLAIM they belong to a certain religion (how does one measure a person's true religiosity anyway?) doesn't make a nation that religion.

Christianity is one of the newest religions ever invented, so it wasn't around during the building of ancient civilizations. Spiritualism, animism, Hinduism, Buddhism, Paganism, and many other religions are far older. The world's first people were not Christians, so if you want to get technical, Christianity didn't spawn any civilizations at all. Even America was settled by Native Americans long before we were here, and they weren't Christian either.

Old 03-27-2016, 08:45 AM

31,038 posts, read 19,620,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I'm not sure what you're saying. Are you saying America is the best civilization in the history of the world? If you are, that is a rather ethnocentric comment and one which could be argued against quite successfully. Besides, America isn't a Christian nation; just read the Constitution. Just because a majority of the people CLAIM they belong to a certain religion (how does one measure a person's true religiosity anyway?) doesn't make a nation that religion.

Christianity is one of the newest religions ever invented, so it wasn't around during the building of ancient civilizations. Spiritualism, animism, Hinduism, Buddhism, Paganism, and many other religions are far older. The world's first people were not Christians, so if you want to get technical, Christianity didn't spawn any civilizations at all. Even America was settled by Native Americans long before we were here, and they weren't Christian either.
Western Civilization which includes adoption of Christianity by the overwhelming majority and which spawned capitalism, advanced democracy to its dominant position, developed advanced social systems, our Constitution, virtually all technology in the last 1000 years, and the idea that government is subservient to man, not he other way around. If you deny the link between Western Civilization and Christianity, then go see a Psychiatrist.

I realize you are choosing to be obstinate and pretend ignorance and likely will continue doing so. I choose logic and reason and the ideals of Western Civilization and reject political correctness for the lie it is.

Old 03-27-2016, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Nope. I am just pointing out the current facts and state of charities. If you were to remove every dollar of charitable giving done by religion you would wipe out 75% of its funding. Would non-religious charitable donations fill that? I don't know, but it wouldn't happen immediately and there would be a lot more suffering in this world if they didn't.

The point of my post was not to claim that no one else would step up, although so far no one else has. It was to refute the tired and ignorant claim that "religion does more harm than good". Sure religion causes plenty of harm, today and in the past. It also does a lot of good and some religions have over the years focused on bringing the good and leaving the bad in the past. Some religions still have some work to do in this regard.
It'd also be different if charitable giving from religious groups came with no strings attached.

Having lived in and traveled to many third world countries, we know that this is completely not the case.

I'm not sure any bit of good cancels out all the horrific bads that religion has caused. And how many 'goods' were just canceling out the bad they caused in the first place?

Old 03-27-2016, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Western Civilization which includes adoption of Christianity by the overwhelming majority and which spawned capitalism, advanced democracy to its dominant position, developed advanced social systems, our Constitution, virtually all technology in the last 1000 years, and the idea that government is subservient to man, not he other way around. If you deny the link between Western Civilization and Christianity, then go see a Psychiatrist.

I realize you are choosing to be obstinate and pretend ignorance and likely will continue doing so. I choose logic and reason and the ideals of Western Civilization and reject political correctness for the lie it is.
It can be argued that civilization advanced DESPITE religion, since there are many historic examples of religions (including Christianity) trying to hold back education, progress, free thought, literacy, and equality amongst all men (and especially women).

The spread of western civilization across the world was especially brutal - much of this brutality was justified by religious views.

Old 03-27-2016, 10:01 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,977,556 times
Quote:
Except it wasn't a rumor. The vice principal owns the shop and was in fact peddling the bs healing crystals. They have agreed to remove all that and proceed with the yoga classes. So you can lay your pitchforks down and sigh a bit of relief that these parents aren't as dumb as the news story makes them out to be.
Can you document or reference this please? I could not find anything online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events