Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 07:59 AM

12,883 posts, read 14,065,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Yes, at the elementary school level. Especially at the elementary school level and growing worse. These kids are subjected to months of test prep at the expense of actual education. They are constantly told their scores will make or break their schools. They aren't allowed to go outside and play anymore lest someone busybody calls the cops for neglect. They don't get physical exercise, they don't get independence. So, yes, they are very stressed and need something (I honestly don't care what) to de-stress, relax and learn healthy coping mechanisms.
Or we could, you know, stop doing that to elementary school kids. Especially the 'all the academic pressure is put on 7 year olds' part. Like I said a while ago here, if kids are so stressed that admin now feels they need yoga to relax, perhaps that's fixing the wrong problem...

Old 04-01-2016, 08:07 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,407,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Or we could, you know, stop doing that to elementary school kids. Especially the 'all the academic pressure is put on 7 year olds' part. Like I said a while ago here, if kids are so stressed that admin now feels they need yoga to relax, perhaps that's fixing the wrong problem...
That would be WONDERFUL but it would take a seismic shift in thought and action across the country. If you could make it happen, you have my vote and blessings!

Old 04-01-2016, 08:32 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,985,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
we do have our nutty people
Seems P.E. ought to be put back in place. People seem to want to keep kids quiet rather than loud and energetic. Kids need to burn off their energy not contain it through mediation, that is for adults.

Some adults are so ill informed when it comes to the well being of kids just being kids, let alone knowing how kids get rid of anger.

I believe adults are why kids are learning to be angry, be stressed and not know how to work things out through their own actions and decisions.

I vote to bring back hardcore P.E.

Old 04-01-2016, 09:08 PM

18,005 posts, read 15,700,802 times
Arguments defending this program became moot when it came out the vice principal was peddling her magic rocks and preaching her mysticism at work. That was the deciding factor that showed that concern was, indeed, justified. If they had started a martial arts program, and required that Shinto prayer lead off the class, it would be the same thing. Yoga can be practiced in a totally secular way, just like the Asian martial arts can be. But, the vice principal ruined that concept in this case. Participation in this should not be required either. The kids should have a say if they don't want to do it. Making it a mandatory thing wouldn't be right.

In and of itself, I don't see the harm in offering Yoga to the students, IF, there's no peddling of the mystic aspect, and the kids are given free choice to do the exercises or not. I agree with posters who advocate for a regular PE regimine being offered. If they don't want to do Yoga, an option to go play kick ball or whatever is a good "stress reliever" as well. Kids need to burn off the yah yahs. Let off some steam. I agree that running, jumping and swinging from the monkey bars is probably better than Yoga for a grade school age kid. Their concentration on classroom time would be much improved with some good, old fashioned movement. The static nature of Yoga doesn't tap that fidgety energy that young kids have, and need to burn off.

Old 04-02-2016, 06:44 AM

1,504 posts, read 856,171 times
Funny how in a liberal democracy where secularism is institutionalized in the schools....the secularists attempt to bring in new age religion....

Old 04-02-2016, 06:55 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,965,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.A.Bachlow View Post
Funny how in a liberal democracy where secularism is institutionalized in the schools....the secularists attempt to bring in new age religion....
What religion is yoga?

Old 04-02-2016, 07:08 AM

1,504 posts, read 856,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
What religion is yoga?
If Yoga is embrace fully and taken to it's limit it is a religion. Mild or entry level yoga is like sending your kid to Sunday school and learning to sing "Jesus Loves Me"....take it to its further limit and you are sitting in a cave in Tibet - in a death pose entering into the ultimate nothingness.

Old 04-02-2016, 08:33 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,965,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.A.Bachlow View Post
If Yoga is embrace fully and taken to it's limit it is a religion. Mild or entry level yoga is like sending your kid to Sunday school and learning to sing "Jesus Loves Me"....take it to its further limit and you are sitting in a cave in Tibet - in a death pose entering into the ultimate nothingness.
So what religion is that?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cave_monasteries

Old 04-02-2016, 12:26 PM

17,183 posts, read 23,026,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
What part of the Treaty of Tripoli is binding on individual citizens of the USA? I'm pretty sure no one I know signed it.
Individual citizens do not sign treaties, the US government does. This treaty was signed by President John Adams. Of course, it was only in force for 8 years and the clause was dropped when it was renegotiated after that time. Still, it would appear that our founding fathers believed that we were not a Christian nation.
The inclusion of these words in the treaty had no negative political ramifications for the treaty whatsoever. On the contrary, the treaty was approved by President John Adams and his Secretary of State Timothy Pickering, and was then ratified by the Senate without objection. The wide reprinting of the words in the press of 1797, suggests that the idea that the government was not a Christian one was widely and easily accepted at the time.

Old 04-02-2016, 12:35 PM

30,766 posts, read 18,486,622 times
While I think its overkill, I ultimately say good for those parents. If leftists can complain about and try to have anything semi-religious banned, then I say yoga isn't off limits either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events