Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2016, 05:39 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,342,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Oh, give it a rest. I have an opinion, and you have a different one. I don't need to post my qualifications and I frankly don't care about yours or anyone else's. Get over it.

I have made my point and given sufficient reasons why I feel that way, and given alternate options (that already exist) for those intensely stressed out and emotionally troubled elementary kids.

Perhaps you should learn what the phrase "I think" means, and any variation - "I don't think," "I believe," "in my opinion." Every part of my post that you quoted was me expressing an opinion. You are not going to change it or bully me into thinking I could be wrong just because there are some "professionals" out there (and btw, no teachers are NOT mental health professionals unless they have dual degrees) who think yoga in schools is necessary and works. I don't doubt that there are also some professionals out there, teachers and parents, too, who think that it is NOT.
You can think whatever you'd like.

Fact is, most kids do suffer from stress and anxiety. Know why? Because they are human beings.

Old 03-30-2016, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Uh-huh. You're probably not referring specifically to the Memphis City School teachers. And all the touchy-feely stuff is why we're so high up there on the food chain in our education level compared with the rest of the world.
What?!

Teaching children coping mechanisms has absolutely nothing to do with our abysmal educational ratings among our international peers. As a matter of fact, the countries who do better (much better) than us employ many of the "touchy-feely stuff" that you claim is the issue in our country.

Get thee to a library, post-haste.

Old 03-30-2016, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
This is the thrust of it: Yoga may have religious overtones in India and where it originated. However, all it is in the USA is a program that helps teach concentration, relaxation, and may improve mental health. This is why implementing Yoga in America schools would have a primary secular purpose and would be acceptable.
What is ironic is that the very first public school in America (and the many which followed) were followed by men and women of the cloth who felt it was their God given duty to educate young minds.

Old 03-30-2016, 05:51 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,835,921 times
I just looked at the forecast - rain all day today. I mentioned this to my kindergarten-teacher wife. She sighed and said, "Indoor recess today". I asked what this entails. She related that they'll watch a video which leads them through yoga moves (apparently, within the context of a story about Sparky the Penguin). This is intended to fill the void left by the lack of physical activity when there is no recess. It helps, she said, but nothing works as well as actual outdoor recess.

No one has complained yet. Apparently there are no insane parents here--- well, scratch that... my wife's been a teacher for years, and the parental insanity never ends. But at least, here, so far, no one has insanely tried to characterize this simple set of exercises as 'anti-Christian'. Of course, we're in Minnesota. We do have fundamentalist nutjobs here, as well as ignorant people, but both are in considerably shorter supply than elsewhere, and unlike some places, fundamentalist ignorance is neither mainstream nor respected here.

Old 03-30-2016, 06:18 AM

12,883 posts, read 14,017,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Oh so because something wouldn't help you personally, no one should have access to it?!

Your insistence on projecting your feelings on the masses is disturbing to say the least.

PS - Condescension begets condescension.
No, not my point at all, and also not what I said. Way to completely disregard everything else I said and focus on me as a child. Nice cherry picking there.

What's disturbing is all these judgmental people on city data who consistently have a major issue with others' opinions and feel the need to tell them they are wrong and keep going at them repeatedly.

From the start, the first thing I said when I saw this was - and I posted it as my initial reaction - "elementary kids need yoga?!" I'm not sorry this is how I feel.

Here's a last summation on how I feel about it, just for measure. It is my opinion that most elementary kids are not so stressed from everyday life that they need schools to intervene (not that they don't have stress at all, which you conveniently are now acting like I'm claiming, just that most don't need intervention at school for it). There are already resources for those kids who need that help. I think the yoga is a complete, laughable waste of valuable time in school.

I think it would be a cool option for older kids, middle school and older, to choose from. My high school offered dance and weight room instead of gym and I took them up on those, and it was fun. It would be a nice alternate for the older kids but I don't see it necessary for the younger ones.

Last edited by JerseyGirl415; 03-30-2016 at 06:34 AM..

Old 03-30-2016, 06:35 AM

You don't want people questioning your statements? Don't post on internet forums.

Old 03-30-2016, 06:43 AM

12,883 posts, read 14,017,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
You don't want people questioning your statements? Don't post on internet forums.
Oh Lord. Do you ever stop?

Old 03-30-2016, 06:48 AM

1,504 posts, read 853,329 times
Yoga has it's birth in a religion. It is not just an exercise. It becomes a state of mind. Christians have their own state of mind. The state has no business installing a religion in any form no matter how watered down or culturally normalized. Serious practitioners of Yoga treat it as a religion....so lets keep church and state separate. Parents have the right also to discourage new age mystic beliefs thrust upon their children. Children are property and product of the bodies of their parents. They are not the property of the state.....if parents do not claim their children as their material property....then the state will.

Old 03-30-2016, 06:59 AM

1,504 posts, read 853,329 times
Yoga or let them run wild in the swamp or build a treehouse...your choice. To much screen time.

Old 03-30-2016, 07:12 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,419,722 times
We did Yoga in my catholic high school during gym. This is just a handful of people whining and a resulting handful of people whining on the internet about the whining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events