Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 02:04 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,474,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I was not justifying their commercial or their light attitude towards the events of 9/11, I was explaining that their attitude is far from unusual.

I, too, have been moved by accounts of WWII even though I was born nearly 30 years after it ended, but you must be living in eternal anguish if taking a poke at the horrible events of that war offends you since send-ups and satire of the Nazis have been popular since the 1960s.
I guess Sept. 11th will be off limits until Family Guy and Robot Chicken satirizes it. Oh wait....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2016, 05:24 AM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

<snip>Its just reality that terrible events effect those in proximity to them on a deeper and more complex level.
Gah. I hate seeing my own typos when it's too late to fix them.

Affect, not effect.

Old 09-11-2016, 06:48 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I know what you are saying. I am, as you know, a survivor from One WTC. I lost 85 coworkers plus other people I saw every day. The security guard. The Cantor Fitz cafeteria workers. The recycling man. I cannot fathom how those who actually lost a family member must feel.

I belonged to a writers group in the city at the time, and one of the members was a psychologist who had been tapped to facilitate family members of the dead. She sat in a room with people who were drinking coffee and eating Entenmann's cakes discussing what, if any, parts of the dead they had gotten back. One had a hand. One had a heart. Pieces pulled from the pile and identified.

Remember the all-day lines of family members queued up to get their cheeks swabbed for DNA to make matches? Remember the tent morgue set up under the FDR? Remember the barges of debris going downriver to Fresh Kills on Staten Island? I know someone who sorted at Fresh Kills looking for bones who had to quit after 3 weeks because he kept seeing the dead walking on the conveyors. These are conversations and scenes that I don't believe most people outside the NY metro area saw or heard.

Anyway, that same psychologist pointed out that the radius of the impact on people rippled outward from its most intense from lower Manhattan outward. While it horrified everyone in the country, still, 3 weeks later the condition of the pile and the cleanup operations weren't the lead news item every night as it was in NY. And they didn't have to smell it. I still find it bewildering that when they show the video of the collapses, it's so quiet. It just sort of rumbles. That's not how it was. It was deafening. It rattled your bones.

It's not a contest. Its just reality that terrible events effect those in proximity to them on a deeper and more complex level.

Just reading this makes me cry. While I was living in Florida on 9/11, I am a former New Yorker, born in Manhattan. I held it together until the first tower came down. I was glued to the TV for days. It was the most horrible thing I had ever seen. We called everyone we knew who worked in Manhattan that day. While we didn't personally lose anyone, I always wonder what happened to the survivors and the families of those who didn't make it. I guess we'll see a lot of specials tonight on the 15th anniversary.

Old 09-11-2016, 07:30 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,122,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Are we going to have a Pearl Harbor sale at a boat dealership? I can't believe what poor taste this is.

I'm from Hawaii and we STILL cry on Dec. 7. Those of us STILL have family memories of that day. My now deceased Aunt could remember seeing the Japanese planes flying overhead as she was hanging clothes on the clothesline, she was just a child; she lost her sight not long after so, that memory was seared in her brain. She told it to us (all of her nieces and nephews) so often that we could see the planes buzzing overhead in the bright blue sky.

This commercial just shows how déclassé some people are whilst in pursuit of the almighty dollar.

Last edited by melaniej65; 09-11-2016 at 07:47 AM.. Reason: Disjointed thought and misspelling.

Old 09-11-2016, 07:36 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
I'm from Hawaii and we STILL cry on Dec. 7. Those of us STILL have family memories of that day. My now deceased Aunt could remember seeing the Japanese planes flying overhead as she was hanging clothes on the clothesline; she lost her sight not long after so, that memory was seared in her brain. She told it to us (all of her nieces and nephews) so often tat we could see the planes buzzing overhead in the bright blue sky.

This commercial just shows how déclassé some people are whilst in pursuit of the almighty dollar.
Yes that's like how 9/11 is for some people here. There are still a lot of tears.

I have no close connection to Pearl Harbor but as an American of course I still think about it and those lost. It's sad. But living in Hawaii and having close connections, I'm sure it still hurts for those of you so much more than I could ever know. I have never been to Hawaii but when I do go one of my must visit places is Pearl Harbor.

Old 09-11-2016, 09:53 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,662,333 times
Poor taste, but not surprising. Seems like everything is an ironic joke these days.

And, of course, it's America, so let's turn it into an opportunity to make money.

Stop the world -- I want to get off.

Old 09-11-2016, 11:27 AM

11,295 posts, read 18,882,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
I honestly wouldn't believe anything other than that this a joke/hoax.

That said, I don't mind a time that comes where we can make light of our own history.
Well, it depends on time and the situation. We are obviously long at the point where events and even weddings go on during Pearl Harbor Day or the day JFK was assasinated, but we still don't do retail commercials based on them and probably never will (or it would be like 100+ years past said events).

A lot of people (granted more in the Northeast than elsewhere) still consider a wedding/confirmation/bar mitzvah, etc. on 9-11 to be in poor taste, but I think we're getting close to the point where it won't really be anymore (like probably the next time it comes on a weekend in a few years it will be fine unless it happens to be on the 20th anniversary).....as a side note a comic strip called "Luann" has two firefighter characters who are getting married and because the husband-to-be was inspired by 9/11 to become a firefighter where he met his future wife they were going to take advantage of it being on a Sunday this year and symbolically have them "get married" today but a lot of fans gave him flack for it and they changed it.

Old 09-11-2016, 04:05 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,727,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Horrible sense of humor. When it comes to making a profit, nothing is sacred or taboo?

And before the liberals come in an attack me for not approving of that @#$% commercial, know that I lost my younger brother when those towers came down.

The commercial sucks, as does the attitude behind the making of it.

What about T-shirt vendors or others that sell merchandise with the slogan "Never Forget" or anything related to 9/11??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events