Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 07:22 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,114,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
This commercial is definitely not politically correct.

I'm sure the people who like to pretend that they oppose political correctness are the ones who are the most outraged at this example of political incorrectness. After all, It's only political correctness when they're not the ones taking offense. When they're offended, that it's magically not political correctness anymore.

It must be nice to live in a world where the definitions of offense revolves entirely around you...
Great post. Ditto for someone saying denigrating about the military, police, etc. PC is PC.

Mick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2016, 08:08 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
The people in the video were likely about 10 years old or less during the event in question. That does not give them a pass, but it may explain their emotional distance.

On the other hand, I heard a rebroadcast of some live reaction to the attack on the radio today and had to turn the station. I am not emotional or a jingoistic patriot, but it was hard to hear the voices of people describing and reacting to the planes hitting the towers as it happened.

It literally brought a tear to my eye. Something people who were not yet emotionally mature (or even born yet) can understand.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:15 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
oops marketing FAIL.

Anyone notice the dudes looked similar to the ethnicity of the hijackers?
I hadn't noticed, but now that you mention it...

Old 09-09-2016, 09:21 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,836,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Horrible sense of humor. When it comes to making a profit, nothing is sacred or taboo?

And before the liberals come in an attack me for not approving of that @#$% commercial, know that I lost my younger brother when those towers came down.

The commercial sucks, as does the attitude behind the making of it.

And you have diminished the events by adding your gratuitous "liberal" comment.

Old 09-09-2016, 09:25 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
This commercial is definitely not politically correct.

I'm sure the people who like to pretend that they oppose political correctness are the ones who are the most outraged at this example of political incorrectness. After all, It's only political correctness when they're not the ones taking offense. When they're offended, that it's magically not political correctness anymore.

It must be nice to live in a world where the definitions of offense revolves entirely around you...
How about "human correctness"? This is disgusting.

Gives new meaning to the word TEXASS.

FL must be relieved, this kind of stupidity is usually out of there.

Old 09-09-2016, 09:30 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
The people in the video were likely about 10 years old or less during the event in question. That does not give them a pass, but it may explain their emotional distance.

On the other hand, I heard a rebroadcast of some live reaction to the attack on the radio today and had to turn the station. I am not emotional or a jingoistic patriot, but it was hard to hear the voices of people describing and reacting to the planes hitting the towers as it happened.

It literally brought a tear to my eye. Something people who were not yet emotionally mature (or even born yet) can understand.
So what? I was born long after WW2, but I was moved to tears seeing two women who were concentration camp survivors reunited after 70 years, and am horrified at the footage of the camps anytime I see it.

I saw some very disturbing behavior(mostly younger people) when I went from CA where I live to NYC to the 9/11 Memorial.

Younger people smiling and taking selfies, sitting on the names memorial. Talked to one of the security guards who had to constantly ask people to get their rear ends off the names.

Maybe when this country gets whacked again, they will get it?

Old 09-09-2016, 10:24 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,621,263 times
"Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Comparing this to having sales on Memorial Day isn't the same. We created a holiday and take a day off to celebrate the lives of our Veterans who paid the ultimate sacrifice by serving our country and pay respect to them in remembrance through events like parades and memorials across the nation.
This TV ad is mocking the murder of innocent people and it's quite distasteful & in poor taste.
I wonder what other ads they have planned?
A Pearl Harbor sale?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucifer View Post
With Zero! Zero! ZERO down!
Price so low they live in infamy!
We are sinking the competition with our surprise sale!
Michael Bay is the Devil! (sorry, but it's true).
Your sarcasm is duly noted !

Old 09-09-2016, 10:38 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,215,035 times
Quote:
Sounds correct to me.

Old 09-09-2016, 10:39 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,083,430 times
Please take note that the television station(s) also played a part in this. Maybe the biggest part by airing it.

Folks should be fired.

Folks have been fired for much less insulting actions.

Old 09-09-2016, 11:02 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Today I sat and showed my kids (elementary age) photos from 9/11 and told them about what happened. I got really tearful and my kids asked me why, since I wasn't there. My son said "you seem sad, like it happened to you".

I was remembering the anguish of the family members looking for their loved ones...the fear that it happened to "us" (americans). I remember how I used to tense when I heard an air plane. Just how totally shaken our country was. I tried to impart that to my kids and I think they got it. I told them it changed our country, and everyone in it.

These people who made the video were ALIVE during it! No soul.
I have a different feeling when people feel like this, but I will not go into it much. That is, "So on that day, you felt sad, but where were you before when "this incident" happened?" Now, putting me aside, perhaps it is understandable when others do not feel the same about something the way others do.

Of course, not feeling the same is far, far different from making light or jest of a situation.

Every so often, commercials like this come up.

There was one decades ago in Aggieland where a bar was celebrating December 7th with kamikaze drink specials. It was a radio spot with diving aircraft and dropping bomb sounds in the background. The only reason why I probably remember it was because of the following outrage.

Bad taste? Yes. Effective advertising? Well, it does make one look. As far as getting the message out to the people, it has done its job.

Whether anyone goes and buys is questionable but remember, making one's dollar pay is often held higher than maintaining taste and honor......unfortunately.

In this case, making ends meet does not matter as that the store has closed (I don't know what happened to the bar). People should perhaps take lessons from this, from The Grease Man (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doug_Tracht ) and learn that saying things on the airwaves in bad taste can be a very bad idea.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 09-09-2016 at 11:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events