Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2017, 01:42 PM

6,807 posts, read 4,505,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
[shrug] The next person she tries to run down or shoot, she may hit a bystander instead.So she's fine so long as nobody innocent gets hurt right?
Ummm. Gee. Nobody did get hurt other than the thief, so your argument doesn't hold water. She also didn't shoot anybody. Nice stretch, but pointless.

There's always the possibility that an innocent might get hurt when we try stopping the bad guys. But we do not form our laws and behavior around that slight possibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2017, 05:08 PM

22 posts, read 18,075 times
She is innocent

Old 07-02-2017, 06:56 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,496,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Ummm. Gee. Nobody did get hurt other than the thief, so your argument doesn't hold water. She also didn't shoot anybody. Nice stretch, but pointless.

There's always the possibility that an innocent might get hurt when we try stopping the bad guys. But we do not form our laws and behavior around that slight possibility.
The shooting part is only loosely related because "we" (as the C-D community) have had that argument before. It was part of another thread and story that spilled into shooting (IIRC, the Walmart thief who got killed by store employees). The shooting part should've been left out, so that's my bad.

However, the highlighted portion is NOT absolute. Police have been known to break off pursuit if it meant bystanders don't get harmed. In the movies and TV, it may be more entertaining to continue the 80 mph high speed chase, or shoot it out in a crowded city square, but their duties include every bit protecting the innocent as with apprehending those who break the law.
It sounds like you'd advocate going after perps at all costs. Would you want yourself, a loved one (spouse, child), to be seriously harmed or killed just so they could catch a bank robber or murderer? Hey, a worthy sacrifice right? Or, they could save more lives by letting the guy go. Yes, someone who's being pursued due to homicide is a dangerous person, and the person who steals is also breaking the law, but if innocent people get hurt while pursuing them, then you're no better than those original perps. And it's not like they're letting them get away scot free... they will most definitely continue to pursue those bad guys.

Last edited by ackmondual; 07-02-2017 at 08:05 PM..

Old 07-02-2017, 07:39 PM

35,839 posts, read 18,173,063 times
So I looked for social media for this woman who chased down and ran over the man who opened her unlocked car and went through her purse, and she is . . . difficult. I know many want to make her out to be a hero, but has a difficult past and not many supporters. Like, virtually none in her life.

I think many of us knew that, but I just wanted to mention it. This isn't like a great neighbor who proved to be the hero. This is a woman struggling with issues who now has crossed the barrier into criminal behavior and attempted murder.

Old 07-02-2017, 08:25 PM

6,807 posts, read 4,505,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
So I looked for social media for this woman who chased down and ran over the man who opened her unlocked car and went through her purse, and she is . . . difficult. I know many want to make her out to be a hero, but has a difficult past and not many supporters. Like, virtually none in her life.

I think many of us knew that, but I just wanted to mention it. This isn't like a great neighbor who proved to be the hero. This is a woman struggling with issues who now has crossed the barrier into criminal behavior and attempted murder.

Her judges and her self-appointed jury members are thirsty for her blood. She hasn't got a snowballs chance in hell.

Old 07-02-2017, 08:30 PM

35,354 posts, read 17,265,000 times
Quote:
Her judges and her self-appointed jury members are thirsty for her blood. She hasn't got a snowballs chance in hell.
Obviously you don't know how juries work. If the People prosecute they don't have a chance.

Old 07-02-2017, 08:39 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,344,991 times
It's a stretch to automatically assume that she was trying to kill him. I didn't get that impression from what I read and saw. She couldn't catch him on foot so she got in her car to catch up with him. I think she tried to hit him but not kill him. She probably tried to knock him down so the cops could come and grab him. There is evidence to support that. He only had minor injuries. If she was trying to kill him, he would have been more seriously injured. I think she will be released and asked to do community service. She was charged with a misdemeanor.

Old 07-02-2017, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Ummm. These weren't postings on her facebook after the incident. They were before. She's . . . difficult.

Old 07-02-2017, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
It's a stretch to automatically assume that she was trying to kill him. I didn't get that impression from what I read and saw. She couldn't catch him on foot so she got in her car to catch up with him. I think she tried to hit him but not kill him. She probably tried to knock him down so the cops could come and grab him. There is evidence to support that. He only had minor injuries. If she was trying to kill him, he would have been more seriously injured. I think she will be released and asked to do community service. She was charged with a misdemeanor.
There was a branch that fell out of a tree when she hit him. I was surprised that he wasn't dead, and my guess is, the bystanders who attended to his medical needs after they saw this horrific incident were also surprised he wasn't more severely injured.

By the grace of God he only had minor injuries - watching the video, it seemed likely he'd be dead or seriously injured.

Old 07-02-2017, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Hopefully you're right. She tried to kill a man who rifled though her purse and dropped it. She deserves jail time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events