Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 12:10 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,303,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Which is exactly what United would have done, and based on past evidence, you would have probably gone to the hospital in the process, possibly your child as well. United has proven time and again, they will stop at nothing to protect their profits, and don't care what happens to their customers. They don't even care about violating federal safety regulations, if it is in their financial interest, as this case proves.
Good. I would love for united, or any airline to physically remove me, and especially my toddler, from my seat when I've paid for a ticket, already have boarded and have done nothing wrong. That's a multimillion dollar payday when the cell cameras come out and record everything. This mom will maybe get a refund for her child's ticket or a free ticket or voucher at best by being a pushover.

It's always better to be physically removed from the plane these days when you are a law abiding, paid for, seated passenger. It's up to the airlines to figure this out before boarding.

Once I am seated, there are only two options. You fly me to my destination that I purchased the ticket for, or you call the police and drag me off the plane David Dao style, while I and others videotape the whole incident.

If this mom would have had this attitude, it would have been the standby guy and United's problem instead of hers.

I would gladly be a law abiding, polite traveler and customer if they would inform me of my seat being taken and/or over booked BEFORE boarding only, not after. This should be simple and very easy for the airlines to do.

Last edited by 6.7traveler; 07-08-2017 at 12:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2017, 03:05 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
When will the airlines learn to treat passengers better? They do a good job of running the business but there seems to be a little mishap happening too often these days.

United bumps child from seat, into mom
How safe are kids on laps? If they have a problem, turbulants or something rough, are they safe just sitting on the lap, not even belted?

Give her back her money for both tickets at the least. And an apology. Another example of why I plan no trips anywhere that I have to trapse through the unfriendly skies.

Old 07-08-2017, 08:52 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,882,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
How safe are kids on laps? If they have a problem, turbulants or something rough, are they safe just sitting on the lap, not even belted?

Give her back her money for both tickets at the least. And an apology. Another example of why I plan no trips anywhere that I have to trapse through the unfriendly skies.
Besides safety, I am pretty sure this broke federal rules about the age of a lap child. I haven't seen where the passenger even called a flight attendant. She might have been too scared though.

Old 07-08-2017, 08:59 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Holy crap!
No way.
No way in heck.
If she PAID FOR THE SEAT, how did this happen?

Would they have told her to hold her 15 year old son in her lap?!

It's the SAME FREAKIN' THING!

That is totally insane.

Is this really what happened or are we missing something?

Old 07-08-2017, 11:57 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
Good. I would love for united, or any airline to physically remove me, and especially my toddler, from my seat when I've paid for a ticket, already have boarded and have done nothing wrong. That's a multimillion dollar payday when the cell cameras come out and record everything. This mom will maybe get a refund for her child's ticket or a free ticket or voucher at best by being a pushover.

It's always better to be physically removed from the plane these days when you are a law abiding, paid for, seated passenger. It's up to the airlines to figure this out before boarding.

Once I am seated, there are only two options. You fly me to my destination that I purchased the ticket for, or you call the police and drag me off the plane David Dao style, while I and others videotape the whole incident.

If this mom would have had this attitude, it would have been the standby guy and United's problem instead of hers.

I would gladly be a law abiding, polite traveler and customer if they would inform me of my seat being taken and/or over booked BEFORE boarding only, not after. This should be simple and very easy for the airlines to do.
Really? You'd choose to put your toddler into harm's way, risking physical and emotional harm just so yuo can get a big payday? No amount of money would be worth purposefully risking injury to my child and I can only hope you aren't actually a parent.

Old 07-08-2017, 03:32 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That mom should have gone out to the ticketing agent, and told them they made a mistake. The problem might have been easily resolved, if she'd tried. Apparently passengers now are terrified of speaking up, because of past scandals with the airline? But while boarding was proceeding, she easily could have gone out to the gate, to point out the error.
Hah! Delta double sold my wife's seat on a flight from LA to Amsterdam and gave her seat to some teenager. We paid to upgrade and we know we bought ours first. The ticketing agents didn't do anything for her.

After flying from Las Vegas to LA to Amsterdam to Dublin to Amsterdam to Salt Lake City to Las Vegas I have come to the conclusion that people who work for airlines are jerks. Every. Single. One.

Old 07-09-2017, 11:42 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post
I'm sorry, I would not have removed my child from the seat I PAID FOR, the stand-by passenger would have been the one to have to deal with this problem. I would let it escalate into the airlines calling security, while I got passengers to call 911 for me. This was a United Airlines problem, NOT mine, so I would let them OWN it. Let them deal with an angry mother (me) and an angry stand-by passenger at the same time, never mind the rest of the passengers who are aware of past practices.
I still can't believe airlines do stuff like this. No, really, I guess I can't believe they are allowed to get away with it.

Old 07-09-2017, 01:05 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,919,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Hah! Delta double sold my wife's seat on a flight from LA to Amsterdam and gave her seat to some teenager. We paid to upgrade and we know we bought ours first. The ticketing agents didn't do anything for her.

After flying from Las Vegas to LA to Amsterdam to Dublin to Amsterdam to Salt Lake City to Las Vegas I have come to the conclusion that people who work for airlines are jerks. Every. Single. One.
Twice, we were bumped from first class to coach by Delta. To add insult to injury, they then started upgrading their frequent flyers into seats we had paid for. Our complaints fell on deaf ears. As a result, we will no longer fly with Delta no matter what the situation. They have lost our business for ever and we are quite happy to tell anyone who wants to listen not to fly with them. Hopefully, that has already cost them a few passengers.

Old 07-09-2017, 01:45 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,882,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Twice, we were bumped from first class to coach by Delta. To add insult to injury, they then started upgrading their frequent flyers into seats we had paid for. Our complaints fell on deaf ears. As a result, we will no longer fly with Delta no matter what the situation. They have lost our business for ever and we are quite happy to tell anyone who wants to listen not to fly with them. Hopefully, that has already cost them a few passengers.
Its just that so many air lines really suck in customer service and are doing these things over and over that if you want to fly, you just have to cross your fingers and hope so smooth travels.

Old 07-09-2017, 03:28 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post

It's extremely dangerous to fly with kids on laps. The airlines should be encouraging people to buy seats for them not taking away their seats when they do. What the Hell is wrong with United? When are they going to stop treating people like dirt?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events