Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 03:29 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Really? You'd choose to put your toddler into harm's way, risking physical and emotional harm just so yuo can get a big payday? No amount of money would be worth purposefully risking injury to my child and I can only hope you aren't actually a parent.
I agree. After what they did to that poor man, just think what they could do to that baby. I wouldn't put it past them to do anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 07:34 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
In this and the last United incident, it seems like the flight attendants made really bad calls. It makes me wonder about their training, their policies, and their lack of common sense. It makes me wonder if they aren't afraid of being reprimanded for using their brains, or something. It seems like the flight attendant should have notified the gate attendant about the issue so it could be resolved. Putting a 3 year old on a lap was the absolute last thing they should have done. I hope whoever ok'ed that was disciplined.

Old 07-09-2017, 08:31 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Disciplined? If there was a chance of any real consequences then these things would never occur. Some of the rudest, least polite airline employees I've run across were flight attendants.

Old 07-09-2017, 10:10 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
I can't believe ANYONE would fly this airline after the crap they have pulled lately! United could careless if you paid for your seat. They will boot you out if they feel like it. Forget it! Too many other airlines that you can fly and not worry if you will fly or get booted. Plus this is another Asian incident. Makes you wonder if they are racially profiling!

Anyway, I won't be flying with them and my husband flies at least once a month for work and he has said he will also boycott them! I think they are too expensive anyway, so why even give them the time of day!

Old 07-09-2017, 10:31 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post
I'm sorry, I would not have removed my child from the seat I PAID FOR, the stand-by passenger would have been the one to have to deal with this problem. I would let it escalate into the airlines calling security, while I got passengers to call 911 for me. This was a United Airlines problem, NOT mine, so I would let them OWN it. Let them deal with an angry mother (me) and an angry stand-by passenger at the same time, never mind the rest of the passengers who are aware of past practices.
I wonder what sort of publicity United would have gotten had CPS dispatched an investagor who could have added legal problems. Can anyone say child endangerment?

Old 07-09-2017, 10:37 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,884,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I can't believe ANYONE would fly this airline after the crap they have pulled lately! United could careless if you paid for your seat. They will boot you out if they feel like it. Forget it! Too many other airlines that you can fly and not worry if you will fly or get booted. Plus this is another Asian incident. Makes you wonder if they are racially profiling!

Anyway, I won't be flying with them and my husband flies at least once a month for work and he has said he will also boycott them! I think they are too expensive anyway, so why even give them the time of day!
Not to mention basic economy means you need to shop their website in addition to seeing everyone else on Kayak because otherwise United is the top several pages by price but it's not the real price unless you're willing to fly basic economy (which, personally, no thank you).

Old 07-09-2017, 11:03 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,216,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viceversa1 View Post
That mom and her child should have been upgraded to First Class.

She was too nice to give that man the seat. Not sure if she was FORCED to or she reluctantly gave up the seat.

Hopefully she got a REFUND for her child's seat? Or something?
I would have demanded a refund for both seats

Old 07-10-2017, 04:17 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,595,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
I don’t believe you can leave the plane after you’ve boarded, if you do you possibly will lose your seat as well. The flight attendant needed to resolve the issue, possibly contacting the gate agent. But as a passenger who has boarded the plane I think you’re required to stay there or miss your flight all together. The flight attendant should have removed the “standby” passenger.
You're probably right about not being allowed to leave the plane once you've boarded, it opens up a can of worms, from security, (you could go back to departures and pick up a weapon, extremely unlikely, but it has to be taken into account as a possibility), to the highly likely fact that stand-by guy will take his seat then be adamant that HE ain't leaving, all this aside from the monumental headache of fighting your way past other passengers in the aisle, not yet seated, or in the act of putting stuff in the overhead bins, just to have a probable losing fight with the ticketing agents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post
I'm sorry, I would not have removed my child from the seat I PAID FOR, the stand-by passenger would have been the one to have to deal with this problem. I would let it escalate into the airlines calling security, while I got passengers to call 911 for me. This was a United Airlines problem, NOT mine, so I would let them OWN it. Let them deal with an angry mother (me) and an angry stand-by passenger at the same time, never mind the rest of the passengers who are aware of past practices.
You and I both Mich, you and I both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
She should not have put the child on her lap. That would have gotten their attention. Stand-by guy was a major jerk.
I can see where you're coming from tamajane on the stand-by guy, but even though I'm on the Hawaiian lady's side, just for a second, put yourself in his shoes.
We have no idea of how long he'd been on stand-by, or if he'd been on stand-by on other flights earlier than the one in question that day, but if you've ever been on stand-by, you'll know the feeling of elation when your name is called by the agent.
So now, feeling happy and relieved, he makes his way to what as far as he is concerned is HIS allocated seat.
Suddenly, out of a clear blue sky, (no pun intended), the child's mother says, "I don't think so sir, this is my child's seat, which I paid for, and you can't have it."
If a FA persuades the mother to give up the child's seat, you'd be mightily relieved, and in no mood to say, "Don't disturb yourself, I'll go back to departures and go to the back of the stand-by line, have a nice flight."
So although it's a regrettable screwup by someone, I don't see the guy being a major jerk in gratefully taking what he'd been told, was "his" seat.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:04 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
I really think United hired a firm earlier this year to try and destroy their image as quickly as possible. It's amazing how fast one company can mess up decades of brand building in just a short time.

Last edited by Mr_Geek; 07-10-2017 at 09:31 AM..

Old 07-10-2017, 09:20 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,174,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
You're probably right about not being allowed to leave the plane once you've boarded, it opens up a can of worms, from security, (you could go back to departures and pick up a weapon, extremely unlikely, but it has to be taken into account as a possibility), to the highly likely fact that stand-by guy will take his seat then be adamant that HE ain't leaving, all this aside from the monumental headache of fighting your way past other passengers in the aisle, not yet seated, or in the act of putting stuff in the overhead bins, just to have a probable losing fight with the ticketing agents.

You and I both Mich, you and I both.

I can see where you're coming from tamajane on the stand-by guy, but even though I'm on the Hawaiian lady's side, just for a second, put yourself in his shoes.
We have no idea of how long he'd been on stand-by, or if he'd been on stand-by on other flights earlier than the one in question that day, but if you've ever been on stand-by, you'll know the feeling of elation when your name is called by the agent.
So now, feeling happy and relieved, he makes his way to what as far as he is concerned is HIS allocated seat.
Suddenly, out of a clear blue sky, (no pun intended), the child's mother says, "I don't think so sir, this is my child's seat, which I paid for, and you can't have it."
If a FA persuades the mother to give up the child's seat, you'd be mightily relieved, and in no mood to say, "Don't disturb yourself, I'll go back to departures and go to the back of the stand-by line, have a nice flight."
So although it's a regrettable screwup by someone, I don't see the guy being a major jerk in gratefully taking what he'd been told, was "his" seat.
The article said when he was told it was her child's seat that she paid for, he proceeded to sit between the child and the mother. That was when she grabbed her child and held him. Now what does that mean? Was there a center seat empty for him to sit in or was he being a jerk and going to sit half on the child's and half on her seat without a seat belt?
She should have left her child in the seat. She paid for it. He was a jerk. I do not care how long he waited to get a seat. I guess he should have been bumped off the flight for lack of a seat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events