Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 05:02 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,878,567 times

Advertisements

I missed the part where these teens did not even report it after he was clearly dead. That is beyond words. I would be really curious what was behind that. Guilt? Lack of conscious? Lack of respect for human life? Fear?

I just cant even imagine.

Old 07-21-2017, 05:09 PM

18,210 posts, read 25,846,208 times
Am watching ABC News with David Muir right now. This video is now the fifth story for today's broadcast.

Old 07-21-2017, 05:35 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,179,127 times
How proud the families of these men must be. Such outstanding citizens of society.

Old 07-21-2017, 08:20 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,444,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyram View Post
For everyone calling for charges.....there are no charges (at least criminal) for failing to call or having a duty to care for or intercede and help......perhaps there can be some type of civil penalty for not acting but I don't think so.

Only thing that can be hoped for in this case is karma and those scum who sat there and did nothing one day die while others sit and watch......they'd be great candidates to trade to ISIS for captives.
Duty to rescue- Tort law says otherwise. Whether Florida abides by this is another story entirely, yet it does exist. Negligence is also another source of this drama. Florida carries the Good Samaritan law which at the very least requires a person (s) to contact the emergency team for aide. They Chose NOT to do that.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:20 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,513,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
After seeing the picture of the victim, I would dare say that many people would have just ignored him and left him to die. He is absolutely covered with tattoos and some of them indicate gang affiliation or at least a wannabe.

So let's be honest, how many people would be willing to jump into a possible gator infested pond to save a tatted up gang member that walked in fully clothed despite being warned not to?
I bet some, if not all, of those kids laughing can't even swim. I don't know why they, or many other people, would jump into that pond and risk their own life to try and rescue that guy. That is by no means an easy rescue, you'd have to be a very good swimmer to attempt that rescue. The laughing was disturbing though, but not unexpected from many youths you see today, especially the street wise thug variety. What the hell was a disabled man doing that far out in a pond?

Hate to say it but this was natural selection at work.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:26 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,007,147 times
There is a law in Florida about reporting a death. Just heard that they may be charging them with that at least.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:29 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

35,613 posts, read 17,935,039 times
Yes, police chief is recommending charges. I'm glad someone sat and pored over the lawbooks and found SOMETHING to charge these people with. I'm usually against too many laws, but really, these kids should be charge with something. Disgusting.

Chief to recommend charges against Florida teens who recorded drowning - CNN.com

Old 07-21-2017, 10:06 PM

14,768 posts, read 8,099,433 times
Just hearing and reading about this...no way can I even open it and watch this video.
Only inhumane Monsters would do such a horrible thing.
I can't even imagine what it takes for a person to get that low....Pathetic.
The Cruelty and lack of empathy should be investigated....because this is not normal.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:48 PM

810 posts, read 667,098 times
cream of the crop

Old 07-22-2017, 01:08 AM

554 posts, read 608,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Duty to rescue- Tort law says otherwise. Whether Florida abides by this is another story entirely, yet it does exist. Negligence is also another source of this drama. Florida carries the Good Samaritan law which at the very least requires a person (s) to contact the emergency team for aide. They Chose NOT to do that.
You're completely, utterly wrong.

There has never been, under the common law of any state, a duty to rescue someone in danger. These kids will face no criminal or civil liability. This situation has been debated at least since the Kitty Genovese case, if not before.

The "good samaritan" laws that exist in most states protect people who DO render aid from being sued for negligence if their aid causes harm; these laws do NOT require people to "contact an emergency team".

Negligence law does not apply, because the teens owed no duty to the drowning man. No duty = no negligence.

As for the statutory duty to report a death (2011 Florida Statutes 406.12), it's doubtful that the reporting requirement encompasses any person who has no connection with the death.

These kids might have zero humanity, but they have zero liability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events