Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2017, 02:42 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,979,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
Has noone heard of a human chain? The guy wasn't THAT far out. Someone dropped the ball in teaching these kids how to dial 911 if they are not going to help someone themselves. I see a lot of people making excuses for these kids. That is another reason terrible things like this happen. People are willing to excuse behaviors that are bad. Those teens are old enough to think outside of their own needs and wants; only toddlers and very small children do that because they have to learn it. There is no excuse for a teen to do that. Being high isn't an excuse either. They weren't too stoned to know the guy was drowning and to pull out a cell phone to record it.
If you want to take your chances with fresh water in FL, you're more than welcome. IMO no one should have jumped in to save him, given the serious risk of alligators, but calling 911 absolutely should have been something they did. Standing there filming and laughing at the guy absolutely should NOT have been something they did.

Old 07-22-2017, 02:47 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,952,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
What would they be punished for? Being a jerk isn't against the law. You are under no obligation to try and help some one if it puts your own life at risk.
How is calling 911 and getting help, putting their lives at risk?

Fine don't go in after him, but to sit there and laugh as this man is drowning, is beyond evil. It's disgusting and I am sickened by the behavior of these idiots.

If I saw a man drowning, I would do everything I could to try and save him...it's called being a decent human being and doing the right thing.

Old 07-22-2017, 02:52 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,577,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post

If I saw a man drowning, I would do everything I could to try and save him...it's called being a decent human being and doing the right thing.
What would you have done besides call 911? There was no way to save the man.

Yes, 911 should have been called, but even then, drowning takes only minutes or less, and he was already struggling.

But truly, what else would you have done besides calling 911?

Old 07-22-2017, 02:53 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,348,616 times
Those kids were stoned out of their minds and probably didn't even know if what they were watching was real or not. I will wait until they are questioned more before I make any judgements.

But this has always happened in our society because there are some very mean people out there, worse than these kids. And there are some very good kids out there. History books are full of man's inhumanity to man.

Even the police in our society have killed innocent people. Blacks were hung for nothing during slave days, Europeans came over here and slaughtered the Indians and then the Mexicans and kicked them out, took over their land. Our society is getting meaner as we elected a president how has no morals, who incites violence, etc.

I don't expect things to get any better or any worse.

Old 07-22-2017, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
What would you have done besides call 911? There was no way to save the man.

Yes, 911 should have been called, but even then, drowning takes only minutes or less, and he was already struggling.

But truly, what else would you have done besides calling 911?
After calling 911, I would:

*look for anything to throw to him to try and get him back to shore

*find people to help make a human chain to try and reach him (like those people did at a beach when people got swept into a riptide)

*see if there was a boat or something to get to him

*last resort....swim out to him

It kills me that people are not willing to help him. If you say drownings only take seconds, then help..do something...God people disgust me.

Old 07-22-2017, 03:00 PM

3,068 posts, read 1,680,168 times
'Must be something in the Floridians diet.

Old 07-22-2017, 03:03 PM

Quote:
After calling 911, I would:

*look for anything to throw to him to try and get him back to shore

*find people to help make a human chain to try and reach him (like those people did at an ocean beach when people got swept into a riptide)

*see if there was a boat or something to get to him

*last resort....swim out to him

It kills me that people are not willing to help him. If you say drownings only take seconds, then help..do something...God people disgust me.

"look for anything to throw to him to try and get him back to shore"

He was way out in the middle of the lake - not within throwing distance. Also, there was nothing to throw to him - and nothing would have been long enough. Tree branches - someone said - absurd, no tree branch even if existed would reach him.

*find people to help make a human chain to try and reach him (like those people did at an ocean beach when people got swept into a riptide)"

There were only 5 boys. You need tons of people for a human chain - he was way out in the middle of the lake. A human chain does not work in deep water. There were no other people around. This is not similar at all to the recent rescue in the ocean riptides.

"see if there was a boat or something to get to him"

there was no boat

"last resort....swim out to him"

Are you not familiar with Florida? There are alligators all over, and especially in bodies of water. You could have been attacked & killed within minutes by an alligator.

Please see my full post at #89 up above. Also, many people do not know how to swim well nor have the physical strength to do a swimming rescue.

Last edited by matisse12; 07-22-2017 at 03:45 PM..

Old 07-22-2017, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
"look for anything to throw to him to try and get him back to shore"

He was way out in the middle of the lake - not within throwing distance.

*find people to help make a human chain to try and reach him (like those people did at a beach when people got swept into a riptide)"

There were only 5 boys. You need tons of people for a human chain - he was way out in the middle of the lake. A human chain does not work in very deep water. There were no other people around. This is not similar at all to the recent rescue in the ocean riptides.

"see if there was a boat or something to get to him"

there was no boat

"last resort....swim out to him"

Are you not familiar with Florida? There are alligators all over, and especially in bodies of water. You could have been attacked & killed within minutes by an alligator.

Please see my full post a couple of posts up above.
So instead of searching and trying, you just sit there and watch a man die. I hope you can sleep well at night. Make all the excuses you want...alligators, nothing to throw at him, he is too far...ugh disgusting.

I personally could not just stand by and watch someone die. I would do everything I could to help. If all my efforts failed then so be it, but I will not just stand and do nothing.

Old 07-22-2017, 03:10 PM

Quote:
So instead of searching and trying, you just sit there and watch a man die. I hope you can sleep well at night. Make all the excuses you want...alligators, nothing to throw at him, he is too far...ugh disgusting.

I personally could not just stand by and watch someone die. I would do everything I could to help. If all my efforts failed then so be it, but I will not just stand and do nothing.
None of your efforts would have been feasible or effective. You need to think realistically. You're emphasizing things that were not feasible nor effective.

Yes, you're correct to try to think of ways to save him. But in this case, it wasn't possible and I outlined why up above.

Yes, you're a good person to try to think of methods. But you're reacting emotionally and not realistically.

A man was eaten alive by an alligator just recently while swimming in such a pond in Florida, and a little boy was grabbed & killed recently by an alligator on the 'beach' of a large pond in Florida. You must not be familiar with Florida and the propensity of alligators at all.

lf you have the physical strength to swim out to the middle of the lake and try to pull him up & out from drowning, holding him above the water or possibly dragging him back all the way to shore if necessary, power to you.

Last edited by matisse12; 07-22-2017 at 03:20 PM..

Old 07-22-2017, 03:14 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,061,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
You may have missed this, but I posted it a couple posts above yours.

Yes, they apparently have committed a crime and the police chief intends to charge them with it. Failure to report a human death.

Chief to recommend charges against Florida teens who recorded drowning - CNN.com

It is an after the fact failure to report death (MISDEMEANOR) not a duty to aid or rescue which is what the poster you quoted was responding to (the "Tort" post)......btw....I already mentioned there might be a civil or "tort" case pursued but no criminal charges about failure to aid or assist.....that hasn't changed and won't.......but at least hopefully they all get convicted of the charge mentioned, at least that's something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events