Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2017, 09:02 PM

72,981 posts, read 62,569,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey340 View Post
What hasn't been going on? There has always been stuff like this going on for ages.

Old 07-23-2017, 09:13 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,179,127 times
Couldn't find if this was already posted:

Teens may now face charges after recording, taunting drowning Florida man | WGN-TV

Teens may now face charges after recording, taunting drowning Florida man

Fingers crossed they do bring charges!

Old 07-23-2017, 09:17 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,621,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
For you and I it might be a misdemeanor, but there is a real chance that one or more of these guys already have a police record that would turn a misdemeanor into jail time.

For many street people, the value of the life of a stranger hovers somewhere around the value of their next fix.

For these people an ounce of morals may be a wee bit more than they can muster on any given day. They have a hard time thinking of an occasion where they were given such consideration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Sounds like you are making excuses for them.
If they had a heart at all they could have at least made an anonymous call in the next 5 days while the family was frantically searching for him.
Posting this online shows just how "cool" they thought this man's suffering was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Is that supposed to be some sort of acceptable excuse for what they did? If so, I don't buy into it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Totally agree....but they stood there mocking him....not trying to call 911 or looking for help...or pretty much anything.

I don't have an expectation that they would personally save them, heck maybe none of them could swim but to do NOTHING and mock him that's not excusable.

Also, please don't point out a lame-arse mini-lake in warm weather with no current as some sort of "death trap" like freezing conditions or strong currents etc to make it seem more daunting.

At this point we have a group of kids doing nothing and mocking the victim and you're here blowing smoke with posts about alligators and winter ice skating mishaps.
Sigh.

We all love to call reasons that we personally disagree with, or find disingenuous, 'excuses'.

The truth is, we don't get to choose the validity of other people's reasons for what they do or don't do.

We are a product of our genes and of our upbringing and our entire environment.

So are they.

Old 07-23-2017, 09:24 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,943,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
It's becoming sociopathic.
And that's not an accident. That's what a steady diet of mainstream media and video games does to people. The global elite want to normalize sociopathy, to make it acceptable.

Old 07-23-2017, 09:46 PM

17,148 posts, read 15,357,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Well I have a parent who is severely mentally ill and one who is likely a sociopath (although the list of diagnoses don't include that, they are able to hide their illegal and harmful behavior). So I guess I must be terrible...I just didn't realize it. Thanks for the heads up.
Who raised you?

Old 07-23-2017, 09:54 PM

3,068 posts, read 1,680,168 times
The answer is probably in this thread somewhere but I really don't want to read through 15 pages.

Someone sent the victim's sister the video, so I assume it was one of the taunters ~ correct? How did they know to send it to her? Did these guys know the victim???

Old 07-23-2017, 10:10 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,721,454 times
Default ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Most people with disabilities can take care of themselves...at least a good portion of the time. Just because someone has a disability doesn't mean someone would be caring for them. Disabled people can be hihly independent and successful.

And his girlfriend ran an errand and when she came home not long later, he was gone. After quite a while, they were able to report him as a missing person.

Its looking like this was very likely a suicide.
That makes more sense. If he was disable and cognitively impaired that could explain the poor judgement in to walking to that situation and also would merit the concern that who was responsible for his care. However based on what you are saying that does not seem to be the case. If it was a suicide attempt .... that again is on him. They should have called the police. I would not expect or even think it would be a wise idea for anyone to walk in to that type of situation and physically pull him out. For all they know he could have been a homicidal maniac and try to harm them in the process of them trying to help. Sorry if it sounds cold... but I would not be walking out on a ledge to pull anyone off it unless it my own family member/ ex someone I would be willing to die for. Anyone other them that is getting verbal encouragement to not do what they are doing, a call the police and not all that much more if it would put me in high risk for harm. If someone does something reckless... why should other people be put in harms way.

In my city a few months back this girl in her early 20s decided it would be a cool idea to scale some construction thing dangling in the air ( you know just for the thrill of it). Well this idiot absorbed hours and hours for EMS and recuse team services to need to be use just to get her down safely. The recuse was dangerous for the people that had to get her down... it effected city traffic, EMS and construction in that area for that day. Personal I hope she got fined, arrest and a short jail sentence just to prove a point.

Old 07-23-2017, 10:12 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,721,454 times
Default ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Moderator cut: deleted quoted post

law enforcement would not ignore a drowning man. They would call the paramedics who are trained and equipped for the job. Rule to remember: if you don't have the training, or if helping someone puts your life at risk, then you don't have to help. You call someone who can.
Agreed.... no point just increasing the body count or the amount of people that need to be rescued.

Old 07-23-2017, 10:23 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,130,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Sigh.

We all love to call reasons that we personally disagree with, or find disingenuous, 'excuses'.

The truth is, we don't get to choose the validity of other people's reasons for what they do or don't do.

We are a product of our genes and of our upbringing and our entire environment.

So are they.
Sigh. You are making excuses based on their upbringing and environment? I don't care how bad it was, they still understand the meaning and permanence of death. You think their reaction would have been the same if the victim had been someone they claimed as one of their own? There is no 'valid' reason for what they chose to do other than they are callus and without a conscience. No one gets a pass on basic human decency because their lives might have been difficult.

Old 07-23-2017, 11:26 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,876,066 times
Florida man and in this case Florida men strike again, Florida man is a legend on Reddit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events