Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2017, 07:32 AM

807 posts, read 1,032,468 times

Advertisements

Extremely disturbing. Those kids have serious mental problems. Their names should be released so they suffer the consequences.

Old 07-23-2017, 07:36 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
I know what my kid would have done, even if he was high. It wouldn't be laughing. He'd say Holy ( profanity ) That dude is in real trouble! And try to help in some way. Even if a call to 911 was the only way.

If I was the parent of one of these kids, I'd feel deeply ashamed.

Old 07-23-2017, 08:11 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,621,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I know what my kid would have done, even if he was high. It wouldn't be laughing. He'd say Holy ( profanity ) That dude is in real trouble! And try to help in some way. Even if a call to 911 was the only way.

If I was the parent of one of these kids, I'd feel deeply ashamed.
I would guess that, culturally, those -men- are nothing like your kid.

Chances are they come from families who teach 'look out for yourself' as rules 1 through 5.

Old 07-23-2017, 09:01 AM

3,145 posts, read 2,656,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
It's the laughing that should concern us.

That's the disturbing part, not the lackadaisical effort to save a man's life. (or a non existent effort)

Also, someone posted that those kids would have to live with the rest of their lives by laughing at this man's death. Something tells me that those kids won't feel any remorse until the day they die.

Old 07-23-2017, 09:37 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,877,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
So instead of searching and trying, you just sit there and watch a man die. I hope you can sleep well at night. Make all the excuses you want...alligators, nothing to throw at him, he is too far...ugh disgusting.

I personally could not just stand by and watch someone die. I would do everything I could to help. If all my efforts failed then so be it, but I will not just stand and do nothing.
I think even if you cant do anything, the normal reaction for most people would be yours...to at least attempt to find something, anything to help the man. Not stand and film it.

My kids saw it on the news so I sat down with them to process it. We talked about what they would have done, etc. Their list was a lot like yours, sans swimming out to get him. They already know from water safety at camp that isn't safe. When we got to the end, and there was no way to rescue him, all they could do was wait for the police. Then we talked about how they would feel then.

I really do want to hear more from the boys...because I want to understand how they sunk so low. I know they aren't the only ones in history to laugh at a dying man...but its so hard for me to understand.

Old 07-23-2017, 10:59 AM

17,122 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I think even if you cant do anything, the normal reaction for most people would be yours...to at least attempt to find something, anything to help the man. Not stand and film it.

My kids saw it on the news so I sat down with them to process it. We talked about what they would have done, etc. Their list was a lot like yours, sans swimming out to get him. They already know from water safety at camp that isn't safe. When we got to the end, and there was no way to rescue him, all they could do was wait for the police. Then we talked about how they would feel then.

I really do want to hear more from the boys...because I want to understand how they sunk so low. I know they aren't the only ones in history to laugh at a dying man...but its so hard for me to understand.
Sorry parenting is to blame. Parents have EVERYTHING to do with children's upbringing. You can learn behaviors from poor outside sources, sure, but in the end, you are home everyday, and a parents job is to enforce solid morals despite the challenges that come from dealing with the lesser folks, be it at school or at events, work, etc. Parents need to stop being so self-absorbed and spend time with their kids. Teach them to work hard, play hard, and empathize with those less fortunate than self.

These "teens" didn't sound like kids. They've been lost in the soul long ago, and I hate to say it, their futures are very grim if at this stage they can point and laugh at death.

Nothing could really be done to save this man -- it's Florida. I've lived here for 15 years. I know it. He COULD NOT be saved. However, these folks' actions were absolutely putrid. They need to hurry up and perform their next robbery so that they can be incarcerated and put away from society as soon as possible.

Old 07-23-2017, 11:08 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,951,705 times
For those who keep saying that YOU DO NOT go in water in Florida, let me ask you this...

If your friend or family member were to end up in the situation this man did, you are telling me that under no circumstance would you do whatever you could to help them other than call 911? Because according to everyone that seems to be so knowledgable about Florida waters and the lack of things to throw to someone or not being able to find boats or not having enough people around....it sure would seem to me that you would just let whoever went in, stranger or familar, just drown.

That is utter BS! People jump in the ocean to save people all the time and there are just as many risks there as there would be in Florida. Sorry, but I stand by my decision to help any way I could. It's a human life.

Old 07-23-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Sorry parenting is to blame. Parents have EVERYTHING to do with children's upbringing. You can learn behaviors from poor outside sources, sure, but in the end, you are home everyday, and a parents job is to enforce solid morals despite the challenges that come from dealing with the lesser folks, be it at school or at events, work, etc. Parents need to stop being so self-absorbed and spend time with their kids. Teach them to work hard, play hard, and empathize with those less fortunate than self.

These "teens" didn't sound like kids. They've been lost in the soul long ago, and I hate to say it, their futures are very grim if at this stage they can point and laugh at death.

Nothing could really be done to save this man -- it's Florida. I've lived here for 15 years. I know it. He COULD NOT be saved. However, these folks' actions were absolutely putrid. They need to hurry up and perform their next robbery so that they can be incarcerated and put away from society as soon as possible.
Well I have a parent who is severely mentally ill and one who is likely a sociopath (although the list of diagnoses don't include that, they are able to hide their illegal and harmful behavior). So I guess I must be terrible...I just didn't realize it. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 07-23-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
For those who keep saying that YOU DO NOT go in water in Florida, let me ask you this...

If your friend or family member were to end up in the situation this man did, you are telling me that under no circumstance would you do whatever you could to help them other than call 911? Because according to everyone that seems to be so knowledgable about Florida waters and the lack of things to throw to someone or not being able to find boats or not having enough people around....it sure would seem to me that you would just let whoever went in, stranger or familar, just drown.

That is utter BS! People jump in the ocean to save people all the time and there are just as many risks there as there would be in Florida. Sorry, but I stand by my decision to help any way I could. It's a human life.
Besides alligators and other terrible water animals. When attempting to do a water rescue, you really have to assess your own abilities. Your size and the size of the drowning. Drowning people are in panic and grab and pull people down. Being trained to be a water rescuer is really important, as is strength. But even great swimmers have been pulled under when attempting a rescue. I am not sure teenage boys would be capable to do a water rescue.

But I don't disagree...the normal empathetic human reaction would be to try to do something.

Old 07-23-2017, 12:23 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,621,038 times
Quote:

Just thank the Lord that in these United States, you are free to foolishly risk your life in response to nearly any situation.

Just know that a person without advanced lifeguard training has an EXCELLENT chance of dying while attempting to save a panicking drowning person in deep water. There have been many cases where multiple rescuers have died trying to save someone drowning.

http://idahostatejournal.com/news/lo...cc4c002e0.html

http://articles.latimes.com/1990-02-...-skating-party

http://fox13now.com/2017/05/30/mothe...n-provo-river/

In addition, being brave and foolhardy does not keep away alligators or poison snakes, which again can attack and injure or kill you with NO notice, and are pretty much expected in ANY body of fresh water in Florida.

Last edited by rugrats2001; 07-23-2017 at 01:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events