Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2017, 09:21 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,237,059 times

Advertisements

i don't recall a few posters claiming that he went out there for weeks/months prior to do military style scouting of the trail. that is an exaggeration. it has been said that orbeso went out there once with a friend two weeks prior to the hike with nguyen. investigators found information from another airbnb while searching for evidence that joseph was there before just two weeks prior. but there is no information about what those two did, if they hiked or not, and that friend is out of country and who knows if authorities have been able to contact that friend yet. but, like it or not, it does raise some red flags.

someone here may have thrown that theory of "reconnaissance" in their speculating. but speculating is what we all are doing. nobody is claiming to know what happened.

people have been killing other people since the beginning of time...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2017, 09:44 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,055,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachie123 View Post
but there is no information about what those two did, if they hiked or not, and that friend is out of country and who knows if authorities have been able to contact that friend yet. but, like it or not, it does raise some red flags.
It's a red flag that he was at Joshua Tree 2 weeks prior? How so?

Old 11-03-2017, 10:14 PM

1,870 posts, read 2,394,840 times
Quote:
i don't recall a few posters claiming that he went out there for weeks/months prior to do military style scouting of the trail. that is an exaggeration. it has been said that orbeso went out there once with a friend two weeks prior to the hike with nguyen. investigators found information from another airbnb while searching for evidence that joseph was there before just two weeks prior. but there is no information about what those two did, if they hiked or not, and that friend is out of country and who knows if authorities have been able to contact that friend yet. but, like it or not, it does raise some red flags.

someone here may have thrown that theory of "reconnaissance" in their speculating. but speculating is what we all are doing. nobody is claiming to know what happened.

people have been killing other people since the beginning of time...

Search for hikers - Hi-Desert Star: News
Quote:
Orbeso and another friend had visited the Joshua Tree area a couple of weeks ago, and Messaros had been trying to contact that friend to learn if Orbeso had mentioned any trails he planned to hike with Nguyen. Messaros said he was finally able to talk to the friend, who is now in Japan, but it turned out the two men had just driven on Twentynine Palms Highway, looking at restaurants and shops.
Dan Messaros is the park ranger who was the co-incident commander for the search.

Old 11-03-2017, 10:14 PM

Quote:
It wasn't thrown out as a theory, posters have been claiming it as a fact. Yet no one can provide a single link that says he went out there to scout the trail ahead of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It turns out he was out there in the park 2 weeks earlier, scouting out the trails. That means he knew exactly what he was doing and where he was going the day of the incident.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I didn't know he'd scouted the trails a couple weeks earlier. So, he knew it was horrifically hot and he'd have to take LOTS of water, and probably should have abandoned that plan all together because it's too hot to enjoy.

He managed to get himself out of there just fine a couple weeks before. Hmm.
Quote:
He knew the way back to the parking lot, because he'd walked the route 2 weeks earlier.
Quote:
Yes, but how could they have gotten lost? He'd surveyed the trail two weeks earlier.
Quote:
An uncle of his said he'd been out there doing reconnaissance. Not just taking a brief look, but scoping it out.

Old 11-03-2017, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty MacButter View Post
Thanks for the link. Now I see why others didn't want to provide a source since it went against what they were claiming as fact.

Old 11-03-2017, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
It wasn't thrown out as a theory, posters have been claiming it as a fact. Yet no one can provide a single link that says he went out there to scout the trail ahead of time.
all of those quotes say he was out there once two weeks prior. YOU said several posters were claiming that he was going out there for weeks/months doing military style scouting. all of the quotes you put in there are from two people. two. and they all say he went out there once two weeks prior. not that he went out there "for weeks/months doing military style scouting." that is my point. you exaggerate. and those posters were speculating what they think might have happened. no one here is stating anything as FACT. you do know what speculating is? right? if someone states that they know what happened without a shadow of a doubt...well...i don't know what to say to that. but that doesn't take away from your exaggerating. i'm not the only one to call you out on your exaggerations. just own it and move on.

the only people who know 100% what happened are rachel and joseph. everyone else is guess, speculating. not stating what they think happened as fact. this is an internet forum. it is a hot current topic and people are curious about what might have happened out there. it is natural to wonder and guess. there are many many many people who agree that it does look suspicious. that doesn't mean that he is guilty of killing her in cold blood. but it just doesn't all add up to many people. you could be right sunday. but i'll say it again, you could be wrong. you are doing what you claim others of doing. you are stating what you think as fact.

but nobody knows. or at least i haven't seen any authorities come out and state that it was 100% a mercy killing situation.

Old 11-03-2017, 10:39 PM

1,870 posts, read 2,394,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Thanks for the link. Now I see why others didn't want to provide a source since it went against what they were claiming as fact.
You're welcome. I knew I had read somewhere that Orbeso and a friend had driven out to Twentynine Palms, but it was just to do "reconnaissance" on the local restaurants and shops.

Old 11-03-2017, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty MacButter View Post
Search for hikers - Hi-Desert Star: News
Dan Messaros is the park ranger who was the co-incident commander for the search.
ok, well that was one report from early on. another report i saw, and i can't find the link and honestly don't feel like spending all night trying to find it, that said investigators found (while searching for information for the missing couple) another airbnb that orbeso had stayed at two weeks prior, but that nguyen had not been with them at that time.

Old 11-03-2017, 10:55 PM

"Early in the investigation, investigators found a second Airbnb where Orbeso stayed with a friend two weeks before the couple went missing, but there is no indication that Nguyen stayed there, Miller said."

i can't get the link to go in there correctly for some reason. i tried over a dozen times. but this above quote is from the "Hi-Desert Star" from September 20, under title of report "Joshua tree man says he spotted missing hikers".

(the story also states that has been no credible reports of sightings.) (up until that point of course. that was Sept 20. i don't know what has been found since.)

Old 11-03-2017, 11:33 PM

Quote:
all of those quotes say he was out there once two weeks prior. YOU said several posters were claiming that he was going out there for weeks/months doing military style scouting. all of the quotes you put in there are from two people. two. and they all say he went out there once two weeks prior. not that he went out there "for weeks/months doing military style scouting." that is my point. you exaggerate. and those posters were speculating what they think might have happened. no one here is stating anything as FACT. you do know what speculating is? right? if someone states that they know what happened without a shadow of a doubt...well...i don't know what to say to that. but that doesn't take away from your exaggerating. i'm not the only one to call you out on your exaggerations. just own it and move on.
What am I exaggerating? Because I said weeks instead of two weeks, or because I didn't go through and quote every post in this thread who talked about him being out there prior to this last time? You posted that no one was "claiming to know what happened", so I quoted a few posters who were posting that he had been out their scouting the trails two weeks prior. Yes others posted as well, some saying he had been out there several times, but I didn't realize I needed to quote every post.

And yes, I do know what speculating means. Do you? Saying "It turns out he was in the park 2 weeks earlier, scouting the trails." is presenting the information as a fact. Now if it was said "It's possible he had gone hiking while in the area 2 weeks earlier" then yes, that would be speculating. But that's not what was said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events