Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2017, 08:04 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,956,107 times

Advertisements

I have step kids that are near these kid's ages and they are also adventurous. It seems to be a (positive) trend for young people to get out into nature, challenge themselves, etc. So I can totally see how they would choose to do this, not quite understanding the dangers. Brains aren't fully formed, specifically the ability to think about how their actions can play out in the future.

So it didn't occur to me for a second that it was an intentional murder suicide, but rather a way out of something they thought there was no other way out of beyond more suffering.

I will be interested to see what the officials say about it. Has there been any new findings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2017, 08:14 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,168,957 times
Agree High Flying...I have a daughter and friends early 20s ... at that age they still can be if personality inclined to do overreaching stunts to get a rush, not really thinking it through always..also depends on personality... I was always a cautious and timid personality that would not then or ever think hiking in the desert as a fun idea. I have a niece a little younger but still in later teens and she's always been very docile - baking cupcakes and watching movies, going with friends to get nails painted is her idea of fun... her brother however would probably easily think wow! Adventure-- let's go climb around way out in the desert as a thrilling adventure...

Old 10-26-2017, 08:33 AM

29,567 posts, read 22,955,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
They were in their 20s, not 80. It's perfectly normal for a young adult to take a trip as a birthday celebration. I've gone hiking a number of times for my birthday, so has my SO. I've also taken my mom hiking on her birthday, one year we went kayaking. I like the outdoors. I would be very disappointed if my SO told me we would be celebrating my birthday at someplace like Chilis.
Apparently the girl wanted to go hiking with a guy she had a crush on, so I stand corrected on my original statement. However that guy was unavailable, but he was the one that then suggested taking Joseph instead (who dated her in the past). The source is the girl's relative, article linked on previous page.

Makes it even more ominous.

Old 10-26-2017, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Apparently the girl wanted to go hiking with a guy she had a crush on, so I stand corrected on my original statement. However that guy was unavailable, but he was the one that then suggested taking Joseph instead (who dated her in the past). The source is the girl's relative, article linked on previous page.

Makes it even more ominous.
So you feel like the fact she went with him instead of the guy she liked ominous because it could have triggered her hiking friend to go off on her out there? I'm not sure if I missed this but is it known that she told the guy she ended up going with "hey you know I really would've preferred to go with that other guy who I have a crush on, but instead I'll settle for you?" ( type of thing.. exaggerating a bit perhaps but wondering iow if she made it known to him that she had wanted to go w other guy but she would have to go with him instead? I assume she did or he knew, which seems a little odd to me the idea of someone telling the person they would've preferred to have gone with someone else..? But I guess it's true there are insensitive people who don't have the best social skills and would actually say that. I assumed if hat were the case she wouldn't point it out to him, and instead just invited him to go..

Old 10-26-2017, 11:18 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,956,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondayafternoons View Post
So you feel like the fact she went with him instead of the guy she liked ominous because it could have triggered her hiking friend to go off on her out there? I'm not sure if I missed this but is it known that she told the guy she ended up going with "hey you know I really would've preferred to go with that other guy who I have a crush on, but instead I'll settle for you?" ( type of thing.. exaggerating a bit perhaps but wondering iow if she made it known to him that she had wanted to go w other guy but she would have to go with him instead? I assume she did or he knew, which seems a little odd to me the idea of someone telling the person they would've preferred to have gone with someone else..? But I guess it's true there are insensitive people who don't have the best social skills and would actually say that. I assumed if hat were the case she wouldn't point it out to him, and instead just invited him to go..
Yeah I agree with this too.

I think this another thing people might not know about the early 20-somethings if they don't have them. They tend to not get as serious in relationships and keep things casual *and* they tend to stay friends if it doesn't work out. My eldest hangs out with his ex often in groups and they look like they are having fun in face book photos. They were together 3 years and did get serious. It just doesn't raise alarm bells that she and someone she dated would go on a trip together. I doubt she would go if she had concerns and her family is saying they don't think there was any foul play. It appeared he cared for her for some period of time while waiting to be rescued until they ran out of hope.

Unless the cops/autopsy finds something as a red flag, I think its pretty clear cut.

Old 10-26-2017, 12:08 PM

15,605 posts, read 10,621,595 times
You don't need a chisel to peck out a message on a rock, you just use another rock. Better yet, you spell out a message with rocks. I find it hard to believe they didn't leave a note of some kind.

Old 10-26-2017, 12:16 PM

6,501 posts, read 9,903,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
You don't need a chisel to peck out a message on a rock, you just use another rock. Better yet, you spell out a message with rocks. I find it hard to believe they didn't leave a note of some kind.
Yeah that's why I laughed when someone posted about a chisel, one of the few funny parts of this disturbing thread.

Old 10-26-2017, 01:37 PM

29,567 posts, read 22,955,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Or some sort of message.

Nothing.

And there's yet another thing that absolutely puzzles me regarding the very evidence that 'proves' it was a mercy killing (according to the mercy killing/suicide fanatics on here), the 'embrace.'

As I posted earlier, the girl's relatives are saying that she wanted to go on that hike with a guy she had a crush on. That guy didn't want to go, so instead he suggested taking the Joseph guy, the one that killed her. Supposedly they dated before.

So, if there was nothing between them, if he was just a 'friend,' isn't it odd he felt a need to pose her body in an embrace with him after he shot and killed her?

But I'm sure someone will chime in soon enough to conveniently explain away every single thing that points towards spurned ex, in this case the embrace was normal because due to dehydration and stress and whatnot. Nothing will ever convince them of any other scenario but their own.

Old 10-26-2017, 01:51 PM

102,444 posts, read 108,880,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I have step kids that are near these kid's ages and they are also adventurous. It seems to be a (positive) trend for young people to get out into nature, challenge themselves, etc. So I can totally see how they would choose to do this, not quite understanding the dangers. Brains aren't fully formed, specifically the ability to think about how their actions can play out in the future.

So it didn't occur to me for a second that it was an intentional murder suicide, but rather a way out of something they thought there was no other way out of beyond more suffering.

I will be interested to see what the officials say about it. Has there been any new findings?
Brains aren't fully formed at that age, so greater risk-taking happens, but their families were in on the planning, and the guy's dad saw him off as he left to go to the Air B & B, the day before the hike. Did it not occur to any of the adults around these students, that going there in the middle of a major heat wave (let alone during more normal temps, when it's recommended by hiking sites to avoid the park for the summer) was a bad idea? Maybe the two convinced themselves and everyone else that by going in the early morning, it would be ok?

Old 10-26-2017, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Or some sort of message.

Nothing.

And there's yet another thing that absolutely puzzles me regarding the very evidence that 'proves' it was a mercy killing (according to the mercy killing/suicide fanatics on here), the 'embrace.'

As I posted earlier, the girl's relatives are saying that she wanted to go on that hike with a guy she had a crush on. That guy didn't want to go, so instead he suggested taking the Joseph guy, the one that killed her. Supposedly they dated before.

So, if there was nothing between them, if he was just a 'friend,' isn't it odd he felt a need to pose her body in an embrace with him after he shot and killed her?

But I'm sure someone will chime in soon enough to conveniently explain away every single thing that points towards spurned ex, in this case the embrace was normal because due to dehydration and stress and whatnot. Nothing will ever convince them of any other scenario but their own.
For me, it seems like holding each other during that terrifying time realizing they were going to die seems like a natural thing and doesn't have to do with romantic feelings or lack of... if I was with a friend and we were trapped somewhere in a similar situation I would want to hold them or hold their hand...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events