Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2017, 04:43 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,034,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Or, how about, "I just broke up with you. Maybe it's not a good idea that we keep seeing each other".
Plenty of people remain friends with their exes. I don't see why people have to assume the worst about this man, just because they were no longer in a relationship.

It's now being reported that she had a head injury, possibly from sliding down a cliff. Although I'm sure some on here will claim he must have tried to bash her skull in with a rock, and resorted to shooting her when that failed.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...aks/788685001/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2017, 06:33 PM

29,526 posts, read 22,688,988 times
Well since even the police don't have definitive evidence either way, how is it any worse to speculate that the guy killed her out of unrequited love and not 'mercy' killing?

You either say let's hold off on any judgment either way, or don't pick any sides at all.

Old 10-22-2017, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Well since even the police don't have definitive evidence either way, how is it any worse to speculate that the guy killed her out of unrequited love and not 'mercy' killing?

You either say let's hold off on any judgment either way, or don't pick any sides at all.
Sorry, I dont automatically assume the worst in everyone. There is no evidence to say that he was some sort of cold blooded killer who was still harbouring a grudge over a girl that he was briefly in a relationship with years ago.

And considering the investigators and family are all saying it was a mercy kill, I'm going to believe them over a bunch of strangers who know absolutely nothing about this guy. All any one is going off of is that the two hikers used to date. So what?! Plenty of people are close friends with an ex. There is nothing sinister about that.

Old 10-22-2017, 07:35 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 13 days ago)

35,641 posts, read 18,001,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Sorry, I dont automatically assume the worst in everyone. There is no evidence to say that he was some sort of cold blooded killer who was still harbouring a grudge over a girl that he was briefly in a relationship with years ago.

And considering the investigators and family are all saying it was a mercy kill, I'm going to believe them over a bunch of strangers who know absolutely nothing about this guy. All any one is going off of is that the two hikers used to date. So what?! Plenty of people are close friends with an ex. There is nothing sinister about that.
I completely get what you're saying, and I often assume the best in everyone, especially when people are alive to claim they are innocent. I tend to believe them. This guy . . . is not alive to claim his innocence, nor did he indicate in any way what happened. In any way.

On the other hand, I'm a true crime buff, and I follow and predict current news stories and I'm usually right (as most people are who follow crime stories).

So when I first read this story, my reaction was "he lured her out there and he killed her".

And that's exactly what happened. He lured her out there, and he killed her.

I'm not surprised.

Now it's up to investigators to quibble about the motive. And they're shrugging their shoulders.

I feel like I know the motive.

I was right about the outcome, from the start.

Old 10-22-2017, 07:37 PM

102,227 posts, read 108,023,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty MacButter View Post
Rachel's uncle, Son Nguyen, offers some insight in this article:
Death of hikers in Joshua Tree was 'sympathetic murder-suicide,' uncle says

Among other things, he said Rachel and Joseph had dated for a short time a couple of years ago and remained friends afterwards. That's interesting because I assumed it was a very recent break-up. This changes my perspective of the situation a bit.

He said Rachel and Joseph had been planning the trip for a month, as a group outing with friends, but it wound up being just the two of them.
Sounds like the smart ones dropped out. They're still alive.

Old 10-22-2017, 07:43 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 13 days ago)

35,641 posts, read 18,001,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Sounds like the smart ones dropped out. They're still alive.
Yes, even if their only criteria to decide not to go on the hike was based on the fact that it was horrifically hot and inhospitable. Not at all something anyone would want to participate in if they had free will.

Old 10-22-2017, 07:44 PM

102,227 posts, read 108,023,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post

Plus the fact that he took a gun. Which a couple of posters have said they do, too, in case they encounter animal predators. That's a good point, but those two were college students. I've never known or heard of a college student owning a gun, unless it's at his parents' house while he's at college. But ok, the uncle says they'd been planning a group hike for a month. And if the guy were angry about having been broken up with, wouldn't he have done something about it long ago, if he were so inclined? The breakup was 2 years ago, I guess? OTOH, who plans a group hike to remote desert location for the height of the summer heat, for a friend's birthday?

Whichever way you look at it, it was two needless deaths. That's what's so frustrating and sad. Two people in the prime of their lives, with everything ahead of them.

Old 10-22-2017, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
And that's exactly what happened. He lured her out there, and he killed her.
Except that isnt what happened.

Quote:
I feel like I know the motive.
Which is?

Old 10-22-2017, 09:35 PM

14,330 posts, read 11,729,079 times
So he lured her out because he wanted to kill her, and he did kill her... Why did he then kill himself?

Old 10-22-2017, 09:47 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,191,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
So he lured her out because he wanted to kill her, and he did kill her... Why did he then kill himself?
Murder-suicides are common enough and associated with domestic violence. She broke up with him, and he decided that he couldn't live without her, and that no one else could have her.

If it was a murder suicide pact decided together because they were lost and in dire circumstances, then why didn't they make a video with one of their smartphones to explain and say goodbye to their family and friends?

And without a goodbye video or note, it's much more likely that their deaths were due to more sinister motives on his part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events