Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2017, 05:56 PM

2,300 posts, read 1,702,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
20 and 21 years old. Dear Lord what a horrible tragedy.
I agree - no matter what the circumstances, there are two young lives lost and two devastated families.

So very sad and heartbreaking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2017, 06:44 PM

2,200 posts, read 1,402,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtvaj125 View Post
They could've embraced right before they died. They were out there for a week with probably no water left and exhausted from the heat and dehydration. One probably gave up and couldn't go on and the other refused to leave him/her behind. With no hope left of being rescued they held each other and died in each other's arms.

Not really that hard to believe.

They could not have been able to carry a week supply of water. They probably died within 2 or 3 days.

Old 10-19-2017, 08:46 AM

295 posts, read 357,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorel36 View Post
They could not have been able to carry a week supply of water. They probably died within 2 or 3 days.
You're probably right. A week was how long the searchers were out there for and very likely the hikers were long dead by the time they stopped the search. Even with 2 bottles each it they'll probably last 2, maybe 3 days at the most in that kind of heat.

Old 10-19-2017, 09:47 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,210,703 times
This is odd, this isn't a remote part of the park. I hiked there recently, and it does get hot and can be rugged, but it's hard to be any serious distance from a road in a relatively short period of time. Maybe one got injured?

Old 10-19-2017, 09:52 AM

5,444 posts, read 7,043,349 times
Could there have been foul play and maybe the bodies were dumped there? As others are saying, if this area was so close to roads and such, we were those searching for them not able to find them?

Old 10-19-2017, 10:02 AM

295 posts, read 357,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I doubt it. No hope of being rescued? They weren't far from a trail, and as someone else said, the spot where they were found is visible from several ordinary vantage points around the park and from the highway. The place was swarming with search parties. It leads me to believe they must have sought refuge in a cave or mine shaft for awhile, making them impossible to find. If they'd been out wandering around in the proximity of that trail, as they were, they'd have been found in that first week. Maybe there were drugs involved, so they weren't thinking straight? Didn't search parties use a helicopter? You'd think they'd have heard that.

We'll never know what really happened.
I don't think they mentioned the exact location of where the bodies were found, just that it was a few miles from the Maze Loop trail. This was probably omitted to prevent people from going out there and interfering with the forensics investigation. While the paved road they came in on is just southwest of the trail and a highway 4 miles to the north, the area is still quite vast if they ventured in a eastern direction after getting lost.

There was one article from Newsweek that said drugs were found in their belongings that were left back at the AirBnB place they rented. If that's true and the autopsy will show, then it would explain a lot. With the drugs, heat, and probably lack of water they'll be in grave danger by the end of the first day.

Old 10-19-2017, 10:08 AM

31,335 posts, read 14,444,411 times
Quote:
Thank you for this update! If they were embracing each other, it sounds like it was night, and they were trying to stay warm. But if it's over 100 during the day, it wouldn't get very cold at night, would it? And they found their clothes? So....they were found nude? So...they didn't need their clothes to stay warm?That's very weird, if true. Extremely weird. Sounds like there's more to the story. And why would they be so far off the trail? None of it makes any sense.

Ruth it actually does make sense if these people were doing drugs which sounds very likely. Drugs were found with their possessions at their hotel.

Obviously they were completely unprepared, not enough water or food, didn't know how to use a map, and a lack of respect for nature.

Old 10-19-2017, 10:23 AM

102,440 posts, read 108,851,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Ruth it actually does make sense if these people were doing drugs which sounds very likely. Drugs were found with their possessions at their hotel.

Obviously they were completely unprepared, not enough water or food, didn't know how to use a map, and a lack of respect for nature.
I agree. I've been leaning toward the drug use theory, myself, since someone mentioned it, a bit after that post of mine you quoted. REALLY dumb idea to take drugs in killer heat in rough terrain. Dumb idea to go hiking in that kind of heat, at all. Those poor parents!

Old 10-19-2017, 12:53 PM

7,006 posts, read 4,024,052 times
Quote:
Yeah, especially the dead ones.
Did the two kids who got stranded up on Algonquin last winter die? No, they didn't. But they were stupid to go up on a mountain that is one of the High Peaks on a day when snow was forecast, plus they were not prepared to possibly have to spend a night outside. FYI, Algonquin is the 2nd highest peak in NYS, elevation 5,115 feet.

Old 10-19-2017, 01:21 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,102,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
or some kind of tracing device....right?
I like to day hike. In recent years I've gotten out more after putting off serious hikes for many years. Before I headed out to even well established trails in popular parks, I purchased a $250 personal locator beacon. The thing last for six years. One can then purchase a new one, or just sent it in for a battery replacement which I think cost $100 for another six years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events