Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2017, 10:45 AM

102,440 posts, read 108,851,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Couple comments:
1) No doubt the autopsy will shed light on the subject.
2) Dehydration can cause the same disorientation as drugs
3) News reports are typically hastily written and contain errors which often make things sound weirder than they were.

Glad they found them for their families to have closure.
Thank you. This is helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2017, 06:16 AM

29,023 posts, read 30,466,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachie123 View Post
my son and i went to joshua tree recently and drove the park blvd loop, starting where joshua tree visitor center is off hwy 62 and then exiting at 29 palms on hwy 62. it's a fun drive and we got out several times to walk around. we never strayed far from the trails and the road though. there are a bunch of small parking lots along the way and many trails. it is hard to understand how they would get lost out there. as someone else mentioned, there are trails and roads and campgrounds and people. we went in march and it was hot then. i can't imagine going at the end of july. it's so hot there then.

i wouldn't immediately go to the drug theory. but who knows. maybe murder suicide or double suicide. sad any way you look at it though.
yeah, no matter what, they wouldn't have passed together, be it mushrooms, drugs, heat, whatever? Doesn't make sense ?

Old 10-18-2017, 06:17 AM

29,023 posts, read 30,466,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Thank you. This is helpful.
But they found them embracing? What are the chances, no matter what the cause, they died together?

Old 10-18-2017, 08:19 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,288,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
But they found them embracing? What are the chances, no matter what the cause, they died together?

Why do you keep saying that? They went together, why is it so hard for you to believe they didn't separate and died together? They probably decided to stay together so they would be rescued together.

Also to the person who asked about nighttime, it does get cold at night.

Old 10-18-2017, 08:20 AM

295 posts, read 357,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
They could've embraced right before they died. They were out there for a week with probably no water left and exhausted from the heat and dehydration. One probably gave up and couldn't go on and the other refused to leave him/her behind. With no hope left of being rescued they held each other and died in each other's arms.

Not really that hard to believe.

Old 10-18-2017, 09:41 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,747,268 times
Anyone ever see the documentary 'Missing 411'?

I was shocked at how many people go missing from within national parks around the country, and how eerie some of the circumstances have been.

I would say run of the mill accidents and people getting lost account for some of them, but others, there is something else going on.

Old 10-18-2017, 12:47 PM

7,006 posts, read 4,024,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
It's the desert people. It's August. Take lots of water and let somebody know where you are planning to hike. As they say, out of the gene pool. *sigh*
I see it all the time in the Adirondacks, too. I think people who need rescuing need to start paying for the cost of their stupidity by reimbursing the costs of their rescue.

Old 10-18-2017, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dltordj View Post
Also to the person who asked about nighttime, it does get cold at night.
Thanks. That was me. I was thinking that could be an explanation for why they were embracing; to keep each other warm in the depths of night. But that contradicts the fact that they took their clothes off. They'd have put them back on to help stay warm.

So we're back to nothing making any sense. Except the drug theory.

Old 10-18-2017, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
I think people who need rescuing need to start paying for the cost of their stupidity by reimbursing the costs of their rescue.
Yeah, especially the dead ones.

Old 10-18-2017, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtvaj125 View Post
They could've embraced right before they died. They were out there for a week with probably no water left and exhausted from the heat and dehydration. One probably gave up and couldn't go on and the other refused to leave him/her behind. With no hope left of being rescued they held each other and died in each other's arms.

Not really that hard to believe.
I doubt it. No hope of being rescued? They weren't far from a trail, and as someone else said, the spot where they were found is visible from several ordinary vantage points around the park and from the highway. The place was swarming with search parties. It leads me to believe they must have sought refuge in a cave or mine shaft for awhile, making them impossible to find. If they'd been out wandering around in the proximity of that trail, as they were, they'd have been found in that first week. Maybe there were drugs involved, so they weren't thinking straight? Didn't search parties use a helicopter? You'd think they'd have heard that.

We'll never know what really happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events