Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2017, 08:10 PM
Status: "This too shall pass. But possibly, like a kidney stone." (set 21 days ago)

36,100 posts, read 18,379,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
They lugged an utterly useless firearm into the Joshua Tree backcountry, when for the same weight they could have had a critical extra quart of water?

Cause of Death: Cluelessness
Actually, cause of death: murder/suicide

Maybe you should re-read the story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2017, 10:22 PM

29,561 posts, read 22,933,880 times
I agree with many of the comments from this article.

Whole thing sounds very fishy, but due to the physical condition of the bodies, it will be very hard to find out exactly what happened. The families like I said are clinging to the "murder/suicide to end suffering from dehydration" angle which is understandable.

And predictably the guy's best friend is portraying him as a great and gentle soul who would never hurt anyone and never showed any signs of problems with the lady before. Where have I heard before where people portray those who commit crimes as being good people and no warning signs before?

I suspect as the days go by we will know a little more about the guy, at least his inner motives based on social media postings or the like.

The whole thing just does not add up, the guy taking a gun with him, the guy was familiar with the area, they were an ex couple, etc. And I have never heard of a situation where people committed murder/suicide in such situations as being lost in the desert or mountains.

Hikers found in Joshua Tree: Man shot woman before killing himself, Sheriff’s Department says – Orange County Register

Old 10-22-2017, 12:56 AM

13,597 posts, read 7,567,472 times
It's possible while he was hugging her he popped her in the head from behind where she could not see, or maybe he wanted to become lost so they could end up like this.

Taking the gun hiking well I used to do lot of hiking and motorcycle riding in the desert we always had a handgun. You never knew who you might run into and in those days 1980's no cell phones you were on your own everything you did had to think about what if we had enough food and water to last twice as long as we were suppose to be away from home. We 17 years old when we would drive all night stay for 4 days drive back we always prepared well. Your 100's of miles from any law enforcement not like you can call 911 and they will be there in 5 minutes City folks just don't really know the south west Desert is so big once you leave the highways. All those years I only ran into but maybe few guys I wasn't sure about we just went the other way never used the pistol just for shooting cans my friend's father in law would let us borrow it was a 1911 .45.

Old 10-22-2017, 07:50 AM
Status: "This too shall pass. But possibly, like a kidney stone." (set 21 days ago)

I don't think - for a minute - that this was a mercy killing.

I think he took her there for the express purpose of killing her.

Old 10-22-2017, 10:03 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,112,673 times
Has her family/friends said anything about him being dangerous? I'm just trying to understand why so many people think he had planned this, when the police say otherwise.

Old 10-22-2017, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Has her family/friends said anything about him being dangerous? I'm just trying to understand why so many people think he had planned this, when the police say otherwise.
Police aren't saying otherwise. They're saying it was murder suicide, and they have no idea the motive.

They had recently broken up. Then he invites her there to celebrate her "birthday", in a time of year that it's dangerously hot and dry and wouldn't make a fun hike.

But it is remote. You can expect to not be bothered by other hikers.

Only his friends are suggesting it was a mercy killing, from what I can find.

Old 10-22-2017, 10:20 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,112,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Police aren't saying otherwise. They're saying it was murder suicide, and they have no idea the motive.

They had recently broken up. Then he invites her there to celebrate her "birthday", in a time of year that it's dangerously hot and dry and wouldn't make a fun hike.

From what I have read, both families are saying that investigators told them it was a mercy killing.

Murder-suicide in Joshua Tree may have been act of 'sympathy' after injury, family member says - LA Times

Old 10-22-2017, 11:35 AM

102,427 posts, read 108,796,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post

The whole idea of taking a hike during an unusual heat wave has been something people were puzzling about from the start. And why would she agree to it? A lot of people would say, "I'm not up for that in this heat. How about we go to a water park, instead? We can go to Joshua Tree in the fall, when it's cooler."

Old 10-22-2017, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The whole idea of taking a hike during an unusual heat wave has been something people were puzzling about from the start. And why would she agree to it? A lot of people would say, "I'm not up for that in this heat. How about we go to a water park, instead? We can go to Joshua Tree in the fall, when it's cooler."
Or, how about, "I just broke up with you. Maybe it's not a good idea that we keep seeing each other".

Old 10-22-2017, 03:34 PM

1,870 posts, read 2,402,607 times
Rachel's uncle, Son Nguyen, offers some insight in this article:
Death of hikers in Joshua Tree was 'sympathetic murder-suicide,' uncle says

Among other things, he said Rachel and Joseph had dated for a short time a couple of years ago and remained friends afterwards. That's interesting because I assumed it was a very recent break-up. This changes my perspective of the situation a bit.

He said Rachel and Joseph had been planning the trip for a month, as a group outing with friends, but it wound up being just the two of them.

Last edited by Fatty MacButter; 10-22-2017 at 04:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events