Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2017, 05:46 PM
Status: "This too shall pass. But possibly, like a kidney stone." (set 24 days ago)

36,128 posts, read 18,424,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I read the linked article. Read the comments. Read an article linked in the comments.

It turns out he was out there in the park 2 weeks earlier, scouting out the trails. That means he knew exactly what he was doing and where he was going the day of the incident. He knew the trails, which means they didn't get lost. She could have fallen off the trail, but it seems, if he checked out the trail in advance, that he was the cautious type; if the whole thing were on the up-and-up, one might expect he'd caution her about staying squarely on the trail.

She had a severe enough head wound that she had a t-shirt tied around her head.

Dogs were used in the search for them, and they picked up a scent in the north end of the trail, but then lost the scent. A helicopter was used, but they didn't find them. I wonder: did the helicopter go where the dogs had found the scent? Was there a coordinated effort between the different teams, to follow up on findings of each other's teams? Or was the copter just randomly flying around?

Nothing has been mentioned about examining her cellphone. Maybe they did, and found nothing, but at least they'd know whom she tried to call that afternoon. Hard to imagine the police didn't look at or retrieve her cell phone.

I'm thinking she may have had her fall, then tried to phone for help at 4 p.m. that day. So how long did he wait, before declaring the situation hopeless, and offing them both? The searching went on for days; they must have heard the helicopter, if they were still alive at that point? Heard dogs, or people, maybe? IF he didn't panic prematurely, killing them before they could be found. (If we assume it really was a mercy killing.) Searchers were already out there by late morning the day after they left. They could have survived through the night into mid-day the next day at least, if he didn't off them prematurely. I guess, when severely dehydrated, one can get delusional? Delirious, and make poor decisions?

If he was so cautious as to check out the trail in advance, why wouldn't he have been cautious enough to bring enough water and food for a full day of hiking?

Things still don't quite add up.
I didn't know he'd scouted the trails a couple weeks earlier. So, he knew it was horrifically hot and he'd have to take LOTS of water, and probably should have abandoned that plan all together because it's too hot to enjoy.

He managed to get himself out of there just fine a couple weeks before. Hmm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2017, 06:02 PM

1,870 posts, read 2,403,468 times
Quote:
I read the linked article. Read the comments. Read an article linked in the comments.

--Respectfully snipped--
I clicked that link and it's a KTLA splash page. The right-side column has a link to an article about the hikers. I clicked that link but couldn't find the comments. Can you give me some guidance, Ruth. Thanks

Old 10-23-2017, 07:27 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,118,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I also found family members social media pages
Seriously, you went searching for family member's social media pages? Does no one have respect for a grieving family's privacy any more?

Old 10-23-2017, 07:50 PM

Quote:

It turns out he was out there in the park 2 weeks earlier, scouting out the trails. That means he knew exactly what he was doing and where he was going the day of the incident. He knew the trails, which means they didn't get lost. She could have fallen off the trail, but it seems, if he checked out the trail in advance, that he was the cautious type; if the whole thing were on the up-and-up, one might expect he'd caution her about staying squarely on the trail.
Have a link for all that information?

I read that his father said he is not an avid hiker, and while he was an the area 2 weeks prior, it wasn't known if he went hiking.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ree/558185001/

Even if he did hike, Joshua Tree is a large park with many hiking trails. It would be difficult to scout out the trails ans memorize every detail while hiking with a friend.

Old 10-23-2017, 08:55 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,125,890 times
Some people like to see conspiracy theories in everything.

If he wanted to commit a murder/suicide, there's not really any reason to go all the way out to a National Park to do it.

Old 10-23-2017, 09:09 PM
Status: "This too shall pass. But possibly, like a kidney stone." (set 24 days ago)

36,128 posts, read 18,424,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
Some people like to see conspiracy theories in everything.

If he wanted to commit a murder/suicide, there's not really any reason to go all the way out to a National Park to do it.
I can read human behavior into this friend's quote. This is a man who really wanted this woman, and tried to be in a relationship with her. And now, there was a murder suicide in a park that was extremely unpleasantly hot but was remote.

"Orbeso and Nguyen had dated but most recently were friends, Young said. Orbeso was familiar with Joshua Tree National Park and had taken Nguyen there to celebrate her birthday, he added.

“He saw her socially and wasn’t going to push the relationship,” Young said. “He just wanted to do thoughtful things for her. He was never aggressive. He was the most respectful man I know.”

Yeah. This was a man who wanted this woman.

I'm actually curious, Millerm, why do you think this guy decided to go out into this horrible desert and then get lost when he knew the paths with this woman he really wanted? And then he shot her and then he shot himself? I'm truly curious, why you think he did that. When two weeks previous he knew the way out.

Old 10-23-2017, 09:22 PM

Quote:
All we know is that her phone sent out a "ping" at 4 p.m. Have the authorities not examined her phone? Aside from finding out whom she tried to call, there could be other clues on there.
His phone was the one that pinged at 4pm. That was 9 hours after they started their hike, so by then the battery might have been running low. I know when I'm out hiking, my phone battery dies pretty quickly while searching for service if I don't turn it off or turn on airplane mode.

Old 10-23-2017, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I can read human behavior into this friend's quote. This is a man who really wanted this woman, and tried to be in a relationship with her. And now, there was a murder suicide in a park that was extremely unpleasantly hot but was remote.

"Orbeso and Nguyen had dated but most recently were friends, Young said. Orbeso was familiar with Joshua Tree National Park and had taken Nguyen there to celebrate her birthday, he added.

“He saw her socially and wasn’t going to push the relationship,” Young said. “He just wanted to do thoughtful things for her. He was never aggressive. He was the most respectful man I know.”

Yeah. This was a man who wanted this woman.

I'm actually curious, Millerm, why do you think this guy decided to go out into this horrible desert and then get lost when he knew the paths with this woman he really wanted? And then he shot her and then he shot himself? I'm truly curious, why you think he did that. When two weeks previous he knew the way out.
Even if he liked her, doesn't automatically make him a cold blooded killer.

Still interested in the link that claims he was an experienced hiker who was very familiar with each trail in Joshua Tree National Park. But even if he was, how does that prevent accidents from happening? Over a hundred people die in National Parks each year, and it's not always due to inexperience. People slip and fall, accidents happen.

They went to a National Park. Plenty of people underestimate the dangers of nature. They think they're just going to a popular tourist destination. I went to Glacier National Park last summer and couldn't believe some of the idiotic things I saw people doing. I remember being on the shuttle on morning with a couple who had planned a week long hike through the back country. The girl was wearing leggings and a tank top despite it being 40 degrees and raining out. People do dumb things, not because they're murderous psychos, but because some people are dumb.

The guys dad said he was not much of a hiker, and maybe she wasn't either. That seems to be the thing a lot of people are forgetting. She went on the hike too. She drove her car on this trip, so it's not like it was a hostage situation.

Old 10-23-2017, 11:47 PM

15,605 posts, read 10,621,595 times
They had to have known that people were looking for them. I find it odd that they didn't tie something to the tree or spell out SOS with rocks. And, no note to their parents? Even if I didn't have a pen, I would have pecked something out on a rock. We already know that she apparently fell. The only "kind" explanation I can think of is that he was rendered immobile too. It's a darn shame, they were so young.

Old 10-24-2017, 07:41 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,671,957 times
I don't know why any of you are even speculating anymore. If you used logic you'd know it's a 99.9% chance it was a mercy kill/suicide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
If you use logic, you can know what happened. Maybe not with 100% certainty, but with 99.99% certainty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events