Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2017, 04:27 PM

29,567 posts, read 22,949,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I have come to the conclusion that there are two types of people in the world. Those that see things simply and logically, and those that see a complicated conspiracy theory in even the most simple thing. Such as two hikers getting lost in the desert, running out of water, and committing suicide when they realize there is no way they will survive.
I absolutely agree with you.

A few of us on this thread see things simply and logically. That a young man, unable to get over his ex, decides to take her on a hike to celebrate her birthday (instead of, you know, something most normal people would do, like go to Chili's or something) and decides to kill her then kills himself. The circumstantial evidence certainly indicates this and is hardly worthy of 'conspiracy' status. This wouldn't be the first time a spurned lover or someone unable to get over an ex decides to take both of them out.

I can't speak for the other crowd who continue to stubbornly cling to the 'mercy killing/suicide' angle in the absence of any hard proof that this was what actually happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 04:39 PM

102,444 posts, read 108,880,609 times
Here's a link showing the north view trail, looping off of Maze Loop trail. It's rated beginner/intermediate.

https://www.hikingproject.com/trail/...rth-view-trail

There's a description of all three, coming up:

http://parksfolio.com/2013/09/14/bes...national-park/

I suppose it's possible that at some point, they lost the trail, even if he'd been on it before. It gets difficult to discern in places. I can't imagine wandering off to the extent that they're climbing over boulders, though. This is why there's a warning to tell the park ranger that you're going out there. It's also cryptic that he chose the peak of the summer heat to go out there, when according to the literature, "everyone" knows you don't go hiking in the park after the end of May-ish.

And yeah, there's the whole question Suburban guy mentioned: why not celebrate a summer b-day by going to dinner, or spending a day at a water park, then going to dinner, or whatever. Where did they live? Heck, a drive to the coast would have been a GREAT b-day surprise, and very appropriate, instead of taking her into a known, life-theatening oven.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 10-25-2017 at 04:56 PM..

Old 10-25-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

A few of us on this thread see things simply and logically. That a young man, unable to get over his ex, decides to take her on a hike to celebrate her birthday (instead of, you know, something most normal people would do, like go to Chili's or something) and decides to kill her then kills himself. The circumstantial evidence certainly indicates this and is hardly worthy of 'conspiracy' status. This wouldn't be the first time a spurned lover or someone unable to get over an ex decides to take both of them out.

I can't speak for the other crowd who continue to stubbornly cling to the 'mercy killing/suicide' angle in the absence of any hard proof that this was what actually happened.
I think it's good that there is a mercy-killing angle, though, for the families' sakes.

Old 10-25-2017, 04:58 PM

15,672 posts, read 9,339,496 times
Quote:

That is not simple or logical. Simple, he would have just killed her in the car. Not walked around the desert for 10 freaking hours until they ran out of water. Who would want to spend the last 10 hours of their life walking around the desert in 105 degree heat?

Old 10-25-2017, 05:05 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,583,354 times
Quote:

The hike for her birthday was her idea, first, from the reports I've seen. She was going to go with someone else and when he couldn't make it, decided to go with this young man.

And, yes, there are those who see things simply and logically, and those who cling, desperately, to the excitement that conspiracy theories give their lives.

Old 10-25-2017, 05:05 PM

295 posts, read 357,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yes, but how could they have gotten lost? He'd surveyed the trail two weeks earlier. How could they have become incapacitated, if they were hiking in the "cooler" (relative term) temps of the morning, unless one of them had fallen, when trying to climb a rock formation to see the view, or something? They were found FAR from ANY of the trails. They'd been climbing over terrain that CLEARLY was not part of the trail system (huge, almost impassable boulders, except for skilled climbers).

Those facts don't make sense, in view of his knowledge of the trails, the hour that they began, and the fairly short length of the trails. By starting early in the morning, it could be assumed he intended to complete the hike by mid-day, before the worst of the heat. How did they go wrong?
Can you link the articles that give more details of his previous trip out there? The ones I read just said he was out there doing some scouting with a friend and that friend is now out of the country. No mention of certain trails or a particular area. Info on the park shows 17 different trails from easy to experience. And I don't think it was clear if that was his first time there or there were more before. People tend to assume just because you went there before you'll be familiar with the area. I hunt and there's a fav spot of mine that I've been to more than a dozen times. Yet I still get turn around every now and then, especially after a few months because the terrain can change so much.

It's also possible that he was over confident with himself that he diverted from the initial plan or that she may have wanted to do a more challenging hike than what he's done before. Of course this is all speculation because the details are so sketchy. It's very possible that we may never know exactly what happened but we do know they were both ill equip for this.

Old 10-25-2017, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtvaj125 View Post
Can you link the articles that give more details of his previous trip out there? The ones I read just said he was out there doing some scouting with a friend and that friend is now out of the country. No mention of certain trails or a particular area. Info on the park shows 17 different trails from easy to experience. And I don't think it was clear if that was his first time there or there were more before. People tend to assume just because you went there before you'll be familiar with the area. I hunt and there's a fav spot of mine that I've been to more than a dozen times. Yet I still get turn around every now and then, especially after a few months because the terrain can change so much.

It's also possible that he was over confident with himself that he diverted from the initial plan or that she may have wanted to do a more challenging hike than what he's done before. Of course this is all speculation because the details are so sketchy. It's very possible that we may never know exactly what happened but we do know they were both ill equip for this.
I'm thinking either or both of those could be a possibility, too. Still, beginning so early in the morning would indicate they wanted to be done before it got too hot, so it's unlikely one of them wanted to try something more challenging, or off-the-beaten track, if avoiding the max heat of the day had been the thinking. An uncle of his said he'd been out there doing reconnaissance. Not just taking a brief look, but scoping it out. Maybe he didn't look at all the 3 linked trails, though.

In any case, something obviously went terribly wrong, whether by accident, or deliberately.

Old 10-25-2017, 05:46 PM

2,793 posts, read 1,661,293 times
Quote:
why not celebrate a summer b-day by going to dinner, or spending a day at a water park, then going to dinner, or whatever. Where did they live? Heck, a drive to the coast would have been a GREAT b-day surprise, and very appropriate, instead of taking her into a known, life-theatening oven.
Because this is what they wanted to do. And they didn't expect to die while doing it. That's why.

Old 10-25-2017, 09:03 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,118,824 times
Quote:
An uncle of his said he'd been out there doing reconnaissance. Not just taking a brief look, but scoping it out.
Do you have a link? You've been posting a lot of misinformation in this thread. All I've read is that his dead said he went with a friend two weeks prior, but didn't do any hiking. Now he's doing military level scouting???

Old 10-25-2017, 09:08 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,118,824 times
Quote:
Why were they out there so long?
Seriously? They were out there for so long because they got lost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events