Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2017, 10:19 AM

29,540 posts, read 22,833,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Several articles have been posted already.

Care to post an article saying it was murder? Or do you just want to continue dragging a dead man's name through the mud without any evidence? There is nothing to suggest this was premeditated murder.
Sorry that's not going to work with me. May work with some posters but you're not pulling wool over my eyes with that one.

Yes articles have been posted but no quotes posted that show investigators are 100% certain without a shadow of a doubt it was a mercy killing/suicide.

There is nothing to indicate this was without any doubts a mercy killing. Investigators offered it as one possible explanation to the families. Evidence so far is inconclusive due to condition of bodies. I clearly stated our interpretation of it being a jealous murder suicide is just that, just as it is for those saying it's a mercy killing. No one can say we are wrong for certain.

So, still waiting for a quote from any source that says 100% mercy killing and suicide without any doubts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2017, 10:28 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,083,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Sorry that's not going to work with me. May work with some posters but you're not pulling wool over my eyes with that one.

Yes articles have been posted but no quotes posted that show investigators are 100% certain without a shadow of a doubt it was a mercy killing/suicide.

There is nothing to indicate this was without any doubts a mercy killing. Investigators offered it as one possible explanation to the families. Evidence so far is inconclusive due to condition of bodies. I clearly stated our interpretation of it being a jealous murder suicide is just that, just as it is for those saying it's a mercy killing. No one can say we are wrong for certain.

So, still waiting for a quote from any source that says 100% mercy killing and suicide without any doubts.

As I said, links have been posted on this thread already. If you don't want to read what investigators are actually saying, thats your choice.

I just don't understand the need to spread false rumors about this being a murder. What do you get out of this by claiming the investigators are lying to the family? Its disturbing the things that people think up about complete strangers.

Old 10-23-2017, 11:34 AM

29,540 posts, read 22,833,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
As I said, links have been posted on this thread already. If you don't want to read what investigators are actually saying, thats your choice.

I just don't understand the need to spread false rumors about this being a murder. What do you get out of this by claiming the investigators are lying to the family? Its disturbing the things that people think up about complete strangers.
I did read what the investigators said and none of them said it was 100% without a doubt case closed a mercy killing/suicide. And your continued refusal to post any links that state as such proves there are no such statements. So please stop diverting by asking me to look for something that isn't there.

How is it also any more false the theory that he killed her out of malicious intent, when we don't have 100% proof that it was a mercy killing either? That's just as much a rumor and speculation. Unlike yourself, I posted a quote showing officers don't know conclusively what happened especially due to condition of bodies.

Still waiting for quote from investigators that this is 100% case closed a murder suicide.

Old 10-23-2017, 11:45 AM

102,310 posts, read 108,488,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I did read what the investigators said and none of them said it was 100% without a doubt case closed a mercy killing/suicide. And your continued refusal to post any links that state as such proves there are no such statements. So please stop diverting by asking me to look for something that isn't there.

How is it also any more false the theory that he killed her out of malicious intent, when we don't have 100% proof that it was a mercy killing either? That's just as much a rumor and speculation. Unlike yourself, I posted a quote showing officers don't know conclusively what happened especially due to condition of bodies.

Still waiting for quote from investigators that this is 100% case closed a murder suicide.
I'm on the fence with this, as my posts demonstrate. So, here's a question: if his intent from the start had been to kill her, why would he have waited until they were off-trail and in a state of distress? Of course, we don't know, as one of the articles says, whether they died within 24 hrs. of going out there, or if they survived for a few days. It could be that she fell off the trail in the afternoon, before he got up the nerve to shoot her, and the scene devolved from there. But still, if he were going to kill her, he could have done it within an hour of them hitting the trail. All we know is that her phone sent out a "ping" at 4 p.m. Have the authorities not examined her phone? Aside from finding out whom she tried to call, there could be other clues on there.

Old 10-23-2017, 12:15 PM

6,488 posts, read 9,868,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I'm on the fence with this, as my posts demonstrate. So, here's a question: if his intent from the start had been to kill her, why would he have waited until they were off-trail and in a state of distress? Of course, we don't know, as one of the articles says, whether they died within 24 hrs. of going out there, or if they survived for a few days. It could be that she fell off the trail in the afternoon, before he got up the nerve to shoot her, and the scene devolved from there. But still, if he were going to kill her, he could have done it within an hour of them hitting the trail. All we know is that her phone sent out a "ping" at 4 p.m. Have the authorities not examined her phone? Aside from finding out whom she tried to call, there could be other clues on there.
Maybe she fell trying to get away from him?

Maybe she tried to keep him talking and find a way out of it, and that's why they went through the food and water they had and just sat there.

I believe if it was a mercy killing then they would have said goodbyes recorded on their phone. Until something shows up that is their goodbye one way or the other I have to believe it was murder suicide.

Old 10-23-2017, 01:03 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,614,495 times
The bottom line is we will most likely never know what happened, let alone say it with 100% certainty.

Old 10-23-2017, 01:23 PM

15,520 posts, read 9,222,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
The bottom line is we will most likely never know what happened, let alone say it with 100% certainty.
If you use logic, you can know what happened. Maybe not with 100% certainty, but with 99.99% certainty.

Old 10-23-2017, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
Maybe she fell trying to get away from him?

Maybe she tried to keep him talking and find a way out of it, and that's why they went through the food and water they had and just sat there.

I believe if it was a mercy killing then they would have said goodbyes recorded on their phone. Until something shows up that is their goodbye one way or the other I have to believe it was murder suicide.
OK, could be. But another question is, if he felt that strongly about the breakup, why didn't he do something earlier? It's been two years since they broke up.

I'm also wondering if anyone's questioned the rest of the group they'd organized to go hiking. Did those people cancel because of the heat, and other legit reasons? Or were they encouraged to quit by her ex, making phone calls or texts? What kind of research is being done on this case, besides examination of the bodies and the scene of the incident?

Old 10-23-2017, 04:40 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,150,362 times
All the cops have gone on the record to say so far, is that it was a murder/suicide, by him.

The families, both of them, have stated the cops told them it was a mercy killing.

KTLA | Los Angeles News and Video for Southern California has the LA Times report + over 700 comments, many from those in the Vietnamese-American community that knew them. I also found family members social media pages & apparently, someone posing as the young mans father has started a donation page that they are warning is a scam.

Somewhere I did see mentioned that she also had a head injury. Which is being incorporated by the families into the explanation as “she fell & was injured & they couldn’t go on”.

The local news is trying to talk to her sister on social media about “ Are you able to talk to us today?” but she hasn’t responded (don’t blame her).

Old 10-23-2017, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
All the cops have gone on the record to say so far, is that it was a murder/suicide, by him.

The families, both of them, have stated the cops told them it was a mercy killing.

KTLA | Los Angeles News and Video for Southern California has the LA Times report + over 700 comments, many from those in the Vietnamese-American community that knew them. I also found family members social media pages & apparently, someone posing as the young mans father has started a donation page that they are warning is a scam.

Somewhere I did see mentioned that she also had a head injury. Which is being incorporated by the families into the explanation as “she fell & was injured & they couldn’t go on”.

The local news is trying to talk to her sister on social media about “ Are you able to talk to us today?” but she hasn’t responded (don’t blame her).
I read the linked article. Read the comments. Read an article linked in the comments.

It turns out he was out there in the park 2 weeks earlier, scouting out the trails. That means he knew exactly what he was doing and where he was going the day of the incident. He knew the trails, which means they didn't get lost. She could have fallen off the trail, but it seems, if he checked out the trail in advance, that he was the cautious type; if the whole thing were on the up-and-up, one might expect he'd caution her about staying squarely on the trail.

She had a severe enough head wound that she had a t-shirt tied around her head.

Dogs were used in the search for them, and they picked up a scent in the north end of the trail, but then lost the scent. A helicopter was used, but they didn't find them. I wonder: did the helicopter go where the dogs had found the scent? Was there a coordinated effort between the different teams, to follow up on findings of each other's teams? Or was the copter just randomly flying around?

Nothing has been mentioned about examining her cellphone. Maybe they did, and found nothing, but at least they'd know whom she tried to call that afternoon. Hard to imagine the police didn't look at or retrieve her cell phone.

I'm thinking she may have had her fall, then tried to phone for help at 4 p.m. that day. So how long did he wait, before declaring the situation hopeless, and offing them both? The searching went on for days; they must have heard the helicopter, if they were still alive at that point? Heard dogs, or people, maybe? IF he didn't panic prematurely, killing them before they could be found. (If we assume it really was a mercy killing.) Searchers were already out there by late morning the day after they left. They could have survived through the night into mid-day the next day at least, if he didn't off them prematurely. I guess, when severely dehydrated, one can get delusional? Delirious, and make poor decisions?

If he was so cautious as to check out the trail in advance, why wouldn't he have been cautious enough to bring enough water and food for a full day of hiking?

Things still don't quite add up.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 10-23-2017 at 05:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events