Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2017, 01:28 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,886,549 times

Advertisements

so much can happen, when you go into the Wilderness- we actually used to go into designated Wilderness areas and one time lost our map (backtracked looking for it, no luck) 4 days into a 7 day loop, and had to rely on a souvenir handkerchief we had bought at the visitor center, but we did have a compass and some ability to use landmarks too...
(also the next day we ran into a gentlemen training his dog to do search and rescue and he gave us his map, but lesson learned- have a back up map!)....

I also do like to pack a water filter, so then you can pump through a fresh supply of water if need be, when your canteens run out (but that only works if you plan it out to have a body of water at some point on your hike/ camp)...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 09:54 AM

51,470 posts, read 24,844,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
so much can happen, when you go into the Wilderness- we actually used to go into designated Wilderness areas and one time lost our map (backtracked looking for it, no luck) 4 days into a 7 day loop, and had to rely on a souvenir handkerchief we had bought at the visitor center, but we did have a compass and some ability to use landmarks too...
(also the next day we ran into a gentlemen training his dog to do search and rescue and he gave us his map, but lesson learned- have a back up map!)....

I also do like to pack a water filter, so then you can pump through a fresh supply of water if need be, when your canteens run out (but that only works if you plan it out to have a body of water at some point on your hike/ camp)...

Yes. Several years back I read about an experienced hiker who had disappeared while hiking alone in the Grand Canyon. Turns out he had fallen off a ledge. And, to my surprise, I later realized he was the son of someone I knew quite well, but at the time the name didn't occur to me.

Although nothing like that, I used to hike alone sometimes...nothing very dramatic. But even then I ran into what could have turned into problems a few times, including venomous snakes.

Old 08-08-2017, 03:24 PM

1,870 posts, read 2,403,468 times
A detailed article on the search efforts, with updates:
Joshua Tree Newspaper | Joshua Tree Tortoise Telegraph

Old 08-08-2017, 03:51 PM

30,701 posts, read 80,207,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post

Other than one oasis, there is no water in Joshua Tree that I know of. A filter would not help them unless it can filter sand. It seems unlikely they walked out somewhere and did not get their car. It seems impossible they are still alive if they are in the park. No one can carry that much water and food. Sad. Feel bad for their families. I do not know whether it is better or worse if they never find their bodies. If they don't family members can go through life deceiving themselves that they are alive somewhere and never have to accept their deaths. Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Old 08-08-2017, 09:44 PM

102,444 posts, read 108,880,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty MacButter View Post
A detailed article on the search efforts, with updates:
Joshua Tree Newspaper | Joshua Tree Tortoise Telegraph
Wow. Thank you for this update/report. You can't say they didn't try to find the hikers, that's for sure! We should be grateful to the SAR volunteers. I'm very impressed with their dedication. We're lucky to have such volunteers.

I think that if one positive thing can be learned from this experience, it's that the Joshua Nat'l Park employees should re-design their signage to be clearer, and provide good maps. We don't know if that was the issue in this case, but it sounds from their description, that it could have been a factor.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:22 AM

903 posts, read 589,172 times
As I read through the updates, it was perplexing that the one search team was unaware of the efforts of the other teams. Seems like you would want to coordinate with all involved agencies. I supposed maybe they were staging from completely different areas or maybe I misunderstood that aspect.

Quote:
Joshua Tree Search and Rescue has since clarified that they were unaware of the ongoing involvement of the other teams.

Very sad situation.

Just last April, I became very nervous when our daughter and friend were not back at the car at the trail head in Sedona, AZ. There were two immediate possibilities for their location so my son and I took the separate paths and I found them first. They had taken a wrong trail way back and got behind us. Thankfully they figured out their mistake fairly quickly. So I went on to find my son and tell him. I found him and we went trotting back. He was well ahead of me when I became disorientated. Another bout of mild panic, but I found a wash that I was fairly positive met up with the main trail. Thankfully, I turned out to be correct. It doesn't take much to get lost out there.

cd :O)

Old 08-10-2017, 01:03 PM

5,444 posts, read 7,044,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisCD View Post
As I read through the updates, it was perplexing that the one search team was unaware of the efforts of the other teams. Seems like you would want to coordinate with all involved agencies. I supposed maybe they were staging from completely different areas or maybe I misunderstood that aspect.

Very sad situation.

Just last April, I became very nervous when our daughter and friend were not back at the car at the trail head in Sedona, AZ. There were two immediate possibilities for their location so my son and I took the separate paths and I found them first. They had taken a wrong trail way back and got behind us. Thankfully they figured out their mistake fairly quickly. So I went on to find my son and tell him. I found him and we went trotting back. He was well ahead of me when I became disorientated. Another bout of mild panic, but I found a wash that I was fairly positive met up with the main trail. Thankfully, I turned out to be correct. It doesn't take much to get lost out there.

cd :O)
It also doesn't take much to know how to get back on track. If you are going to hike in an area you are unfamiliar with, you should be prepared and I'm not talking about a plastic container of water. Compass and map are a must. The second thing is knowing how to read a map and use a compass. They aren't rocket science, yet it always amazes me how many stories are out there about people who get lost while hiking.

If you enjoy hiking, but don't want to deal with the whole map and compass, make sure you hike a short, well worn trail with a LOT of foot traffic and don't venture off the path.

Old 08-13-2017, 06:21 PM

31,335 posts, read 14,447,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
It also doesn't take much to know how to get back on track. If you are going to hike in an area you are unfamiliar with, you should be prepared and I'm not talking about a plastic container of water. Compass and map are a must. The second thing is knowing how to read a map and use a compass. They aren't rocket science, yet it always amazes me how many stories are out there about people who get lost while hiking.

If you enjoy hiking, but don't want to deal with the whole map and compass, make sure you hike a short, well worn trail with a LOT of foot traffic and don't venture off the path.
That is exactly right.
Map and compass are a must, when you are hiking in the southwest.
Don't have them......don't go out!

Old 08-13-2017, 06:34 PM

102,444 posts, read 108,880,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post

They must have assumed the trails were well-marked. But someone in one of the articles said they're poorly marked, or got re-marked at one point, so that it's confusing.

And just this weekend, according to another thread, another couple ventured out into the CA desert to see a point of interest, knowing that the temps were going to be over 100, and died, after calling 911 from a cell phone. I don't get this; don't people understand the effect of extreme heat on the body? Who would even feel comfortable taking a walk in 100-degree temps? Very sad. Bewildering. Definitely a "what were they thinking?!" moment.

I'm coming to the conclusion that desert parks like Joshua Tree should have "closed" signs on them during extreme heat events. I don't know if that would be possible where the other couple was, about 70 miles away (not in the park), but it seems that signage is needed to help protect people from themselves. Common sense can't be assumed. Maybe the evening weather reports could issue warnings about not taking walks or hikes when temps push the high 90's into the 100's, if they don't already.

Old 08-13-2017, 11:25 PM

15,604 posts, read 10,621,595 times
I don't know about California, but in the four corners region a lot of trails aren't well marked. Game trails intersecting hiking trails have thrown me off before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events