Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 08:40 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,008,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelfer View Post
I concur. This kid (and anyone who helped her) is clearly dangerous and is either just bad, or so screwed up that she should be institutionalized. It takes a while to boil water, and it's a specific process of steps. Spare me the "she's just a baby" line.
Does it? I think it is about 5 minutes for the 4 cup Pyrex in the microwave....which may illustrate another point.

There is a caution about boiling water in the microwave in that it might not be visibly bubbling until it is bumped. Further, without the use of a thermometer or the visible chaos stage, how do we know how close it is to 212 F?

They tell us in the news story that the water was boiling but there is a great range of temperature from 120 (scalding tissue damage http://www.asse-plumbing.org/WaterHe...aldHazards.pdf ) to boiling. That is, one can still cause a lot of damage without it being "boiling" but for the purpose of the news, it is just probably easier (and for more ratings) to say.

Does that temperature range excuse? No, not excuse, but perhaps better explain what goes through people's minds in these situations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 08:46 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,141,152 times
Insane. Even the sleepover that was supposed to involve innocent crank calls, pizza, spin the bottle and maybe a hand in warm water has been corrupted. Kids can't even be kids anymore. This society is de-evolving. Nothing but more savage behavior, and those video recording it getting hits on FB.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:14 AM

3,125 posts, read 3,025,461 times
No excuses. This girl is 12 years old. Not only does she know right from wrong, but she knows precisely how dangerous boiling water is. She also didn't throw it in a fit of rage or anything...she intentionally went into the kitchen and boiled water with the intention of doing this. As anyone who has ever been super hungry and has had to stand around to wait for a pot of water to boil knows, it does take a few minutes. There's a reason why there's a saying about it. She had time to think about what she was doing, and she did it anyway. And she threw it on her FACE, of all things. No excuses. She should face very severe consequences that she will remember for the rest of her life. The victim will certainly remember this for the rest of her life.

Old 08-11-2017, 02:26 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,596,621 times
High-sugar diets and videogames.

Old 08-11-2017, 06:42 AM

808 posts, read 711,948 times
Psychopathy starts at a young age. Try her as an adult, and then give her a lengthy prison sentence if not the death penalty. Jeez. She knows EXACTLY what she did, and she KNOWS that it's wrong and can severely injure someone like this; she's 12, an adolescent for Pete's sake.

Our world really is going down the crapper.

Old 08-11-2017, 07:11 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,386,025 times
I really don't get it....are kids/people doing stuff like this because they are living in a video game world where they just don't understand the real consequences of their actions? That the things they do actually can HURT and KILL others?

Or are they doing these things maliciously and with full knowledge but are completely without conscience?

Immediate and severe punishment is needed - obviously by parents since the legal system takes months, if not years. But parents are more than likely defending their kids as sick or victims themselves thereby excusing and actually encouraging future acts.

Old 08-11-2017, 07:36 AM

3,055 posts, read 2,929,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
I completely disagree. Everyone knows boiling water hurts, kids are either taught at young ages or they make accidental contact with it and learn to avoid it. No normal child would do this to someone else. This girl is either evil or dangerously mentally disturbed. All the excuses of parent's fault/caused by violence on TV/didn't know what they were doing have to stop. People - including children - can be expected to function in society without causing deliberate injury to others. If they can't, they need to be removed.

I agree with your point. She may have not thought it would be *that* bad, but there was intent and it was probably malicious. Either that or if you're too stupid to not know that boiling water is really dangerous, then you need to be put out of society for that. Who knows what else you might not understand about the world that may cause you to hurt other people?

If the authorities go light on this, that will be sad news for other children to whom things of this kind of nature will happen. Children can be evil, people need to stop thinking they're all innocent. What *will* happen if she gets off light is that other children will see this and understand that, "Hey, I can do bad stuff now and it won't get me into too much trouble because I'm just a child!" There will be sad, sad days ahead for the parents of these poor victims and many more children will suffer horrible tragedies.

Sadly, I'm not expecting them to go hard on her--there's too great a lack of both common sense and a need for discipline in today's society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I don't think a 12 year old can really understand the consequences of her actions (a lot of 25 year olds can't, either, and a few 50-somethings as well). That's the whole point of having juveniles treated differently in the courts from adults.

The perp sees horrible things done on TV all the time, but actors are back unblemished in the next show. That break from reality makes it even harder to understand consequences.
That's the largest bovine scatological specimen I've seen in a long time. If you really believe that, I've got some nice property a few hundred miles east of Long Island for sale and I think you'd be the perfect new owner--all I need from you is a money order of a certain amount (which I tell you is a great deal) and I'll send you the keys! Sound good?

Last edited by Basiliximab; 08-11-2017 at 08:47 AM..

Old 08-11-2017, 08:36 AM

6,473 posts, read 6,683,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
And now the 12 year old who poured the water tries to kill herself, is on a suicide watch in a hospital & the moms are screaming threats at each other.
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.3400131

God save the children.
Apple didn't fall far from the tree. A hateful, nasty bunch. Sad and pathetic.

Old 08-11-2017, 08:44 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,837,240 times
Horrible. Twelve years old, and already a thug.

Old 08-11-2017, 09:02 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,892,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Come on. Sharpie mustache in the dorm? They asked for it.
No they didn't ask for it. You cant give consent while sleeping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events