Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 10:02 AM

3,564 posts, read 1,933,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Not to drive this conversation off topic, but nuclear families are more moral. Children raised in a home with both biological parents, where all the children residing in the home are full brothers and sisters, are less likely to commit crimes and less likely to have a teenage pregnancy.
And ice cream causes drowning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2017, 10:11 AM

35,822 posts, read 18,155,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
I'm not naming causality, but rather, correlation.

People who live in nuclear families behave more morally.

But yes, I am also amused by off-base assumptions of cause and effect. Trailer parks cause tornadoes. ;D

Last edited by ClaraC; 08-12-2017 at 10:21 AM..

Old 08-12-2017, 11:03 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,974,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RP2C View Post
I said: "Is there..." , not: "There is...". Are you projecting your own assumptions?
What does that question have to do with the incident at hand? There are a lot of bad kids. And bad parents. Household structure is not a top of mind question for diagnosing the bad behavior. In act my first thought about this incident was an article I read about kids who are diagnosed as psychopaths and how that happens. As it seems fitting in this case.

Some kids are just not properly wired. Even in a "stable" home.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...hopath/524502/

Old 08-12-2017, 12:36 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,681,659 times
What is wrong with people today? What kind of parents exist? My god! How can you raise a monster and not do something about it? This evil spawn didn't become evil overnight. She was raised to become this. If she's torturing, abusing, and disfiguring someone at 12 years old, she has nothing but a life of crime ahead of her. Hope those disgusting parents are proud of themselves. Absolutely horrific!

Old 08-12-2017, 12:37 PM

15,560 posts, read 10,565,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I don't think a 12 year old can really understand the consequences of her actions (a lot of 25 year olds can't, either, and a few 50-somethings as well). That's the whole point of having juveniles treated differently in the courts from adults.

The perp sees horrible things done on TV all the time, but actors are back unblemished in the next show. That break from reality makes it even harder to understand consequences.
I believe a twelve year knows not to jump in a hot bathtub. They watch their parents cook, they know the stove is hot. Even if they eat out, they know not to pick up a hot french-fry. The child didn't pick up the pan of hot water bare handed did she? No, of course not. The girl knew, she's a psychopath.

Old 08-12-2017, 02:27 PM

6,403 posts, read 4,135,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
So number one, you assumed the kid didn't have a nuclear family. #2 you assumed that nuclear familes are more moral.
73% of all black kids are born out of wedlock and paid for by Medicaid. I'm sure it's a fair assumption.

Old 08-12-2017, 03:32 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,796,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
The 12yo who did it is charged with felony assault. I'd like to know where she learned this strategy of resorting to violence when getting back at someone for a stupid argument. Parenting fail.

Or maybe she's just too ignorant to understand the damage boiling water can do. Remember those two idiots who said in court after killing someone that they never realized you could kill a guy just by hitting him with a baseball bat?

Old 08-12-2017, 03:46 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,884,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
What is wrong with people today? What kind of parents exist? My god! How can you raise a monster and not do something about it? This evil spawn didn't become evil overnight. She was raised to become this. If she's torturing, abusing, and disfiguring someone at 12 years old, she has nothing but a life of crime ahead of her. Hope those disgusting parents are proud of themselves. Absolutely horrific!
Well, just from personal experience, I know sometimes it is just genetics, people are born bad. They lack empathy, remorse, have quick temper that turns to actions, etc. Like this from birth, could be the one kid out of three is a perfectly fine family.

Old 08-12-2017, 04:00 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,306,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Or maybe she's just too ignorant to understand the damage boiling water can do. Remember those two idiots who said in court after killing someone that they never realized you could kill a guy just by hitting him with a baseball bat?
Inexperience. Most people who get splashed with a bit of boiling water get a moment of pain and no blister. Just a red mark and they've forgotten about it by the next day. She, at 12, is perhaps less likely to know that boiling water in that quantity can cause the damage that was done to her friend. I know that I didn't find that out until I was an adult, though I'd never have poured hot water on anyone as a child. My mother said I was always aware of consequences, unusually so for my age.

Old 08-12-2017, 04:22 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,974,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
73% of all black kids are born out of wedlock and paid for by Medicaid. I'm sure it's a fair assumption.
73% of kids are supported by Medicaid? Show me the data.

FYI: 50% of kids now are born out of wedlock. So I hope you ask all the time.

It is astonishing to me how much casual prefudice shows up in the forums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events