Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 11:01 AM

5,465 posts, read 6,090,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What, you mean the rules that say you have to spread the reps around before repping someone again? How is that "communist"? If you'd take just 60 seconds to think about it, you'd realize why they have that rule. Most forums do.
Aw c'mon Ruthie, none of us are here for the reps anyway. The best way to handle reps is to allow us to add or deduct from each poster. Now that right there would make it interesting wouldn't it?

Actually I'd love to be able to critique the mods and their even handedness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 11:11 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,637,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
The perpetrator was TWELVE, far and away old enough to understand what she was doing and the damage that she was going to cause. She's not a "little girl." There was a time in this country when there was something called the Age of Accountability, and it was 12 years old. From that point on you weren't allowed to claim that you "didn't understand" the consequences of your actions. My mom mentions it from time to time. They seriously need to bring that back today.

I don't blame the victim's mom for trying to choke her. BOTH mothers should have been giving that little psycho a beat-down.
If the perpetrator is in fact mentally disturbed as opposed to just stupid, maybe the victim's mother should've done a better job of screening her daughter's friends before allowing her to sleep over at her house. Yelling obscenities and choking/punching people after the fact doesn't change what happened to her daughter.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:28 PM

2,572 posts, read 1,650,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I was reading through and saw so many words that were code words for minorities and a real lack of any desire to understand how this could happen without the 12 year old being a psychopath.

Then I clicked the link...oh yeah, we are talking about African Americans. SMH
I can't speak for others, but I didn't open the link because of the graphic photo warning. My opinion that the perpetrator is either evil or dangerously mentally unbalanced was NOT based on anything except the facts outlined in the article excerpt the OP posted. It does not matter what race the girls were, it was a wicked, malicious assault.

Old 08-11-2017, 01:00 PM

783 posts, read 578,219 times
The person(s) who did this deserve to be in prison. You've proven that you don't understand the basics of living in a society, or don't care. Either way, I don't want you around my children or anyone else you can hurt.

Go directly to prison. DO NOT PASS GO.

Old 08-11-2017, 01:16 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,417,859 times
I feel so sorry for the families and the girl who got burned.What is this world coming to?I remember when I was a kid we just had to worry about like somebody putting whip or shaving cream in our face when were asleep but now my kids will have to worry about something like this.kids these days.

Old 08-11-2017, 01:24 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,810,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
This Miami Herald article says an adult was home at the time, but it's likely the adult was asleep. It was 3 a.m.

12-year-old accused of pouring boiling water on girl at sleepover faces felony charge | Miami Herald
Thanks for the posting the link. With easy access to the internet that shows everything from beheading by terrorists, violence, pranks, etc., some kids are desensitized to acts of violence. Parents, do you know what your kids watch and learn on the internet?

From the Article:

Quote:
An 8-year-old girl died this July, months after her cousin dared her to drink boiling hot water from a straw, myPalmBeachPost reported. The girl, named Ki’ari Pope, burned her mouth and throat and received a tracheotomy that caused her respiratory problems.

Pope and her cousin had just watched a “hot water challenge” YouTube video, according to Time, where someone was seen drinking boiling water from a straw.

Wesley Smith, a ten-year-old boy from North Carolina, suffered second- and third-degree burns while also trying to replicate a “hot water challenge” video he saw on Youtube, according to WNCN.com.

“When we got to the hospital and I actually seen it, I thought the poor boy had been through a war,” said Jimmy Daugherty, the boy’s step-father.

“Watch what your kids are doing on the internet,” he added.

Old 08-11-2017, 02:01 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,967,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
If the perpetrator is in fact mentally disturbed as opposed to just stupid, maybe the victim's mother should've done a better job of screening her daughter's friends before allowing her to sleep over at her house. Yelling obscenities and choking/punching people after the fact doesn't change what happened to her daughter.
Some people learn how to hide it. They can be very good liars, to the point where their own mother would believe everything they said. I've become convinced that we'd all be better off if they were removed from society and not allowed to interact with the rest of us.

I dealt with someone like that for more time than I would have liked to; he was a compulsive liar who convinced 2 women to get into relationships and move in with him, while he was having affairs behind their backs. One of them was an OW and now she is his gf. But he didn't count on running across someone who managed to get wise to every lie he told, and was only too pleased to throw all the spanners into his works that she could. Well... at least one of those 2 women was smart when she found out the truth...

People like that always manage to trip themselves up, though. Just give it time.

Old 08-11-2017, 02:04 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,967,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Thanks for the posting the link. With easy access to the internet that shows everything from beheading by terrorists, violence, pranks, etc., some kids are desensitized to acts of violence. Parents, do you know what your kids watch and learn on the internet?

From the Article:
Seriously???? Watch some old TV Westerns or Saturday morning cartoons if you want to see some violence. And those go back 50+ years. Kids seeing violence is nothing new, only now they don't have TWO parents on hand to help them get the fact that what they see on TV or in movies and how things go in their own world are, or should be, two entirely separate things.

Old 08-11-2017, 02:18 PM

15,547 posts, read 10,539,245 times
" 11 year old disfigured during sleepover "

I've developed a pretty thick skin, but photos of that poor kid made me reach for the Kleenex. The attacker needs to be locked up and kept away from society, she's a very dangerous individual.

Old 08-11-2017, 02:19 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,137,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I don't think a 12 year old can really understand the consequences of her actions (a lot of 25 year olds can't, either, and a few 50-somethings as well). That's the whole point of having juveniles treated differently in the courts from adults.

WHAT???? Of course a twelve year old understands the consequenses of pouring boiling water on someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events