Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2017, 05:22 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,340,899 times

Advertisements

Wow, one of my cousins posted that she used to work with this woman years ago! That means this is the closest I've come to "winning" the lotto!

But seriously, good luck to her. I'm sure the hospital she worked at--and every single hospital in the New England area--will be hitting her up for donations. I hope she does donate the bulk of it. Personally, I would have waited WAY longer before saying a word, quietly quit my job for health reasons around the holidays, and claimed the funds in early/mid 2018 (or whatever makes sense for tax purposes). Poor thing is going to get doxxed online if she stays in that town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 06:00 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,019,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
I'll admit I missed the gum chewing until I saw the repeat with her walking onto the stage. Yep, that was quite the wad!
She looks like a former/current smoker. I bet she needed it for her nerves.

Old 08-24-2017, 06:08 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,486,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
Wow, one of my cousins posted that she used to work with this woman years ago! That means this is the closest I've come to "winning" the lotto!

But seriously, good luck to her. I'm sure the hospital she worked at--and every single hospital in the New England area--will be hitting her up for donations. I hope she does donate the bulk of it. Personally, I would have waited WAY longer before saying a word, quietly quit my job for health reasons around the holidays, and claimed the funds in early/mid 2018 (or whatever makes sense for tax purposes). Poor thing is going to get doxxed online if she stays in that town.
Doxxed?

Old 08-24-2017, 06:12 PM

19,610 posts, read 12,212,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
Maybe there's a small chance she's paranoid about going to a legal firm for a trust. With that amount of money, they would probably assassinate her and take the winning ticket for themselves!
You don't give the ticket to the lawyer. Trust only goes so far.

Old 08-24-2017, 06:33 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,073,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whakru View Post
I honestly feel sorry for her. If you are ever in a position of winning a lottery you need to hold back on that instinct to cash the ticket in right away. Put it in a safe place (deposit box for instance), contact a lawyer and a financial planner, get a plan together, breathe deep and relax for a few days and then claim your money.

There are so many pitfalls to having that kind of money and so many stories of people who won and then were miserable because they didn't plan ahead. She is going to be looking over her shoulder for a long time now and will probably have to hide out for a while.

And, I know it is the dream to quit your job and all, but seriously....you couldn't wait a couple of weeks? That's just rude and unkind to the people you work with that have to deal with your departure.

Feels like a lot of rash decisions that don't bode well for her future.

Good advice. She might skate through happily ever after, but not putting a good plan in place, and getting as far away from hometown USA before u say a peep, is just asking for a life of hell. I suspect a lot of the folks taking down these large sums have NO idea what has just happened to themselves. They have no clue how much money $400,000,000 is, and no idea that their lives from here on out are going to be spent managing their affairs with a team of lawyers, accountants, and financial professionals who collectively are going to be paid a lot more than this person ever made during their working life.

If only there was a way to get through to them before they make such huge mistakes such as popping up on TV within hours waving their good fortune in front of ever scamster in the universe.

Old 08-24-2017, 06:58 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,446,284 times
She does have a plan in place! Its not like she gets the money THAT day!

It will take weeks for that amount to be released and another 20 days for any of those funds to be completed in her account! Look up the depository rules for large deposits.

I'm ecstatic for her. Thank goodness she didn't just hide. She came forward to remove the hysteria that surely would have surmounted if she waited weeks! Plus I cannot think of a better person to handle a winning then the ticket holder. the financial "advisors" are out to make the winnings part of THEIR income. Forget that!

Btw I am in the mist of changing my name to Charity so when she hands it out...I am already included!

Old 08-24-2017, 07:00 PM

17,285 posts, read 22,013,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I still believe these huge million jackpots are insane. Spread millions around to like 10 winners at least, small million dollar winners.
34 people won 1 million each..........5 of 6 numbers.

Old 08-24-2017, 07:09 PM

17,285 posts, read 22,013,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post

It will take weeks for that amount to be released and another 20 days for any of those funds to be completed in her account! Look up the depository rules for large deposits.

I'm ecstatic for her. Thank goodness she didn't just hide. She came forward to remove the hysteria that surely would have surmounted if she waited weeks! Plus I cannot think of a better person to handle a winning then the ticket holder. the financial "advisors" are out to make the winnings part of THEIR income. Forget that!
A. No money yet but now everyone knows her name/age/story and what she looks like? Great strategy to try to get away!
B. Money will be directly wired into her account, she isn't walking in with a 6 ft cardboard check to deposit!
C. Most people struggle to balance their checkbook, just think of the tax implications alone (federal, state). H&R Block won't be able to do her taxes for $99 either.

Old 08-24-2017, 07:49 PM

29,509 posts, read 22,630,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
Maybe there's a small chance she's paranoid about going to a legal firm for a trust. With that amount of money, they would probably assassinate her and take the winning ticket for themselves!
That's an unfounded fear if there ever was one (if she was that paranoid).

Lottery winners have been killed for winning 'only' 400,000 dollars. Imagine the big fat bullseye she just painted on her back.

I'm not wishing her bad, I hope she can do good with this win. But the fact that she felt a need to immediately rush the day AFTER the drawing to announce it via press conference, clearly she was clouded by emotions and not common sense.

I have never heard of any legal firm that killed a client and stole their money after a huge jackpot win. However, as the link above shows, I've read of multiple lottery winners that were killed by random strangers and people close to them, including home invasion robberies.

Old 08-24-2017, 08:41 PM

655 posts, read 1,128,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post

Btw I am in the mist of changing my name to Charity so when she hands it out...I am already included!
What plan does she have in place? She literally claimed the prize in less than 12 hours from the time it was announced. Hardly enough time to plan.

I am happy for her too but I think that she jumped the gun. I am sorry but a person who works in health care (or any normal job for that matter) is not prepared to know how to handle that kind of money. I know that I wouldn't. There are tax implications, protections that need to be put in place, decisions to be made that have long lasting consequences....all of this should be considered before "cashing the ticket" regardless of how many days it will take for the money to clear.

No one is saying she should hide....just get your ducks in a row first.

But, what's done is done. I hope the best for her and her family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events