Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2017, 10:00 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,486,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Lottery corrected their earlier press release. Watertown had a 1mm winner, the jackpot winner was Chicopee (90 miles west).
I was wrong too. The season tickets are sold in Braintree.

My state didn't even have a single 1 mil winner. CA had three, and I assume multiples in other states too but I was too depressed to scan the whole list. I didn't even win a dollar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 01:31 PM

17,285 posts, read 22,006,628 times
winner came forward: https://www.boston.com/news/local-ne...-adds-intrigue

A Massachusetts hospital worker has claimed the $758.7 million Powerball jackpot, and says she always thought winning the lottery was ‘‘a pipe dream.’’

Fifty-three-year-old Mavis L. Wanczyk, of Chicopee, says she was leaving work at night with a Chicopee firefighter, and they were discussing Powerball.

That’s when she realized she won. She says he followed her home to make sure she got there safely.

Wanczyk says the first thing she wants to do is sit back and relax. She says she has called work to let them know she won’t be back.

While not a lot of planning going on there, I hope she will ok in the long run!

Being her age, she would have been wise to collect the ticket with her children in a trust. Right off the bat she is paing 48%+ in taxes. No reason to pay another 45% with a death tax in just a few years.

Old 08-24-2017, 01:33 PM

1,763 posts, read 2,046,231 times
hot damn. This time only one person took the jackpot.

Better hide quick.

Change identity, get plastic surgery, and move somewhere where the sun don't shine.

Thousands of people will be hounding her.
Charities, attorneys, personal security guards, "financial planners", fund managers, snake oil salesmen, exotic car dealers

If she takes the $480 million lump sum, and gives herself a $100k yearly allowance, that money would last 48 centuries !!!

Her kids' kids' kids' ^10 don't have to work.

a $1m yearly allowance would still last almost 5 centuries.

Old 08-24-2017, 01:36 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,028,946 times
And boys..............she's single! Not a bad looker, either.

Old 08-24-2017, 01:49 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,526,497 times
My wife and I play the scratch off where you can win $7,500 a week from time to time. That's more then enough for us.

Old 08-24-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post

If she takes the $480 million lump sum, and gives herself a $100k yearly allowance, that money would last 48 centuries !!!.
Taxes are 48.4% (39.6 federal, 3.8 obamacare, 5% state). So the 480 is reduced immediately to 247.5 million.

Old 08-24-2017, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
Hopefully she can buy Bella Mia her badly needed glasses!

Old 08-24-2017, 02:17 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,018,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
winner came forward: https://www.boston.com/news/local-ne...-adds-intrigue

A Massachusetts hospital worker has claimed the $758.7 million Powerball jackpot, and says she always thought winning the lottery was ‘‘a pipe dream.’’

Fifty-three-year-old Mavis L. Wanczyk, of Chicopee, says she was leaving work at night with a Chicopee firefighter, and they were discussing Powerball.

That’s when she realized she won. She says he followed her home to make sure she got there safely.

Wanczyk says the first thing she wants to do is sit back and relax. She says she has called work to let them know she won’t be back.

While not a lot of planning going on there, I hope she will ok in the long run!

Being her age, she would have been wise to collect the ticket with her children in a trust. Right off the bat she is paing 48%+ in taxes. No reason to pay another 45% with a death tax in just a few years.
A few years? She's only 53.
I think she was working a union job. She's been there 32 years, so she's got a decent pension, too. Her husband was killed by a hit and run a couple years ago.

Old 08-24-2017, 02:22 PM

Mavis Wancyzk said buying a Powerball ticket “was just a chance I had to take.”

The 53-year-old (now former) hospital worker purchased three tickets at Pride Station & Store in Chicopee. Two were computer-generated quick picks. On the other, Wancyzk chose the numbers — and that decision made the $758.7 million difference.

At a Thursday afternoon press conference, Wancyzk explained why she chose the winning numbers, 6, 7, 16, 23, and 26, with the Powerball number 4:

My numbers were kind of basically random, like maybe with our birthdays, maybe one from here, one from there. I just — whatever could work. And you know, there’s a thing between me and my mom and my stepfather and I have a friend, we all go out to dinner on Friday night and we all play Keno and our number is four. So I just happened to choose, and it worked to my advantage.

Old 08-24-2017, 02:22 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,082,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
Except she chews gum like a cow chews its cud. I kept waiting for her to let it spit out while she was talking, but she seemed fairly adept at keeping it in! Somebody should have told her to spit it out before the news conference.

She definitely needs someone to help keep her out of the limelight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events