Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2017, 08:33 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,026,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post
It's never too late to try new things! If you win just keep me in mind. I wouldn't mind owning a BMW I8 along with a brownstone paid off in Brooklyn NY. That'll be a drop in the bucket for you. Remember, sharing is caring.
Make sure the brownstone has a garage so you can charge your BMW i8. Who wants to share those street and garage chargers with the Teslas and Nissan Leafs?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2017, 08:46 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,026,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I've got such a good feeling about tomorrow's winning numbers that were cryptically revealed to me on the front page of the LA Times, that I bought 2 tickets using the same combination, thus allowing me to claim double the jackpot...
Jackpots split. They don't give out an equal amount to everybody. They split the jackpot among multiple winners. It's the 2nd-, 3rd-, etc. prizes that people get an equal amount of.

Old 08-22-2017, 09:03 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,484,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Jackpots split. They don't give out an equal amount to everybody. They split the jackpot among multiple winners. It's the 2nd-, 3rd-, etc. prizes that people get an equal amount of.
Apparently you haven't followed Ghengis' body of work.

Old 08-22-2017, 09:05 AM

8,168 posts, read 8,519,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Exception is, I think, California where some of the smaller prizes are pari mutuel. Second prize is always $1,000,000 with a possibility of doubling on Power Play.
"Don't bother me with the details, just gimme a check"

Old 08-22-2017, 09:39 AM

2,916 posts, read 2,998,071 times
A smaller lotto win (say under $20-ish million) is fairly easy to manage and shouldn't change your life too much if you're responsible...meaning you aren't out buying Bugatti's, yachts and ocean-view real-estate in California.

Winning a really large lotto might be tricky though. $300, $400 million...even living relatively frugal means you can drive a couple of nice exotic cars with a nice home, new wardrobe, personal trainer and take plenty of great vacations. Family wouldn't be a problem for me because my dad's side is huge and I'm not close enough to any of them for it to be a problem. They'd never know I was rich unless I told them, and I'm not sure they'd care all that much. My mom's side is also a huge family but I only know a couple of people really well. The rest wouldn't know me unless my mom was standing right next to me.

I'd probably want to help my two best friends even though both are doing well financially in the STEM world (engineering). Both them would make good use of the cash though, so it would be money well spent. Honestly, it'd be pretty easy to disconnect. Create a trust/corporation to "accept" the money on my behalf, and then take a vacation lol.

Old 08-22-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You could fix a lot of "screwed up" with about 15million a year in INTEREST off that pile.

I know this much, I'd have a lot of very happy nieces, nephews, cousins and so forth where the allowable tax-free gift of 15-20k (annual limit approx.) would hugely increase their quality of life.
+1 on the screwed up. No more hungry kids in my part of the country, no more teachers begging for school supplies, etc., It's amazing how little money it would take to fix some of our issues.
I'd help a lot with the national debt, of course.
BTW, I think the tax free limit on cash gifts is $14,000 per person now and you can give away from you and spouse? You can give more but you have to pay the gift tax as a donor. It's an estate tax thing.

Old 08-22-2017, 11:06 AM

32,944 posts, read 3,925,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
They say quick picks have the better odds for winning and not as many split pots. People who pick their own tend to pick birthdays, ages, etc so you wind up with a lot of the same numbers. That's what they say, not sure how true it is
They? Who's they? I'm guessing they are those people who write those ridiculous articles about "how to win the lottery".

Quick picks don't have any better chance of winning; it just seem that way to some people.

Quick picks win more often because quick picks are sold more often. Each set of numbers, no matter if you picked them yourself or let the computer pick them for you, have the same chance of winning.

Last edited by geebabe; 08-22-2017 at 11:16 AM..

Old 08-22-2017, 11:37 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,374,083 times
Default think about the scholarships you could sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous51 View Post
This is the 8th largest jackpot is U.S. history, and it is the largest since July 2016 when the Mega Millions jackpot was $535 million!
I'd sponsor all kinds of education scholarships. And then I'd drag a few usual suspects into court for the rest of their natural lives and ask them wtf they though they were doing. That part would be easy as they're all lawyers or cops.

Old 08-22-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geebabe View Post
<>Quick picks don't have any better chance of winning; it just seem that way to some people.

Quick picks win more often because quick picks are sold more often.<>
I have read that 70% of the players use Quick pick ,and 70% of the winners come from Quick pick. Same - same. The limitation on using birthdays is your number field is not complete: days from 1-31, Months from 1-12, years cover more numbers but there are gaps from 17 to say, 50?

Old 08-22-2017, 01:47 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,484,502 times
The jackpot was just raised due to higher than expected sales.

For Wed Aug 23 the jackpot is $700 million, $444 million cash value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events