Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 12:17 PM

794 posts, read 1,325,367 times

Advertisements

I bought a ticket for last Saturday's drawing and DH and I had a fun 10 minute conversation about how much money do we actually need to "retire" forever and essentially just travel (in style).

We decided on a number and then said we would spread the rest amongst our family, friends, and charities.

For those that say its stupid because of the odds, I get it. (And, my husband does think I'm a little silly). But, for $2, its nice to dream for a couple days that I might be the lucky one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2017, 01:24 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,731,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
The lottery is a tax for people who don't understand statistics.
I think most do. They believe you won't win if you don't play. $2 isn't going to hurt anyone. You have just as much chance with 1 ticket vs 100.

Old 08-21-2017, 01:57 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,237,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveswater_outdoors View Post
I hate to sound arrogant but I imagine I would do more fun things with the money than 99% of people here. I'd prob stop working if I won 3-5 million let alone 300. These people who win the lottery then say, "Oh I will probably keep working" seem insane to me. Quit your ****ty job and go relax.
Yeah I can think of plenty of other better things to do other than work!

Old 08-21-2017, 02:07 PM

Yep, when you call it "work" stop doing it when you hit the jackpot

Old 08-21-2017, 02:19 PM

579 posts, read 367,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
I think most do. They believe you won't win if you don't play. $2 isn't going to hurt anyone. You have just as much chance with 1 ticket vs 100.
No, with 100 tickets, the chance of winning is almost exactly 100 times as much, or 1 in 2.9 million. However that would cost $200, not an insignificant amount of money.

There's nothing wrong with spending a measly $2 on the lottery. It becomes a problem when you buy too many tickets for one drawing or too many tickets over a period of time. Say you buy 10 tickets a week. It may not sound like much, but that's $1,040 a year. Poor people should not throw away that much money, but sadly they do, trying to chase this dream.

Old 08-21-2017, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonso Gil View Post
No, with 100 tickets, the chance of winning is almost exactly 100 times as much, or 1 in 2.9 million. However that would cost $200, not an insignificant amount of money.

There's nothing wrong with spending a measly $2 on the lottery. It becomes a problem when you buy too many tickets for one drawing or too many tickets over a period of time. Say you buy 10 tickets a week. It may not sound like much, but that's $1,040 a year. Poor people should not throw away that much money, but sadly they do, trying to chase this dream.
1 in 292 million is essentially the same odds as 10 in 292 million. But better than 0 in 292 million. I'll take that risk for $2

Old 08-21-2017, 02:31 PM

579 posts, read 367,608 times
1 in 292 million is essentially the same as 10 in 292 million and is also essentially the same as 100 in 292 million? That is ridiculous.

Old 08-21-2017, 02:47 PM

2,916 posts, read 2,998,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Met a Powerball winner at a baseball game a few years back. Kid was in his early 30's and sitting behind home plate ($350+ seats). Woman next to him made the comment that they were given the seats for the game but how can a young guy afford to buy these seats? He conferred with his buddy and then showed a picture of himself holding a 6ft long powerball check. Kid won about 30 million.

Story went his wife had a late movie rental. He went to the store to pay the $1 late fee and instead of $4 change he asked for a couple powerball tickets....the 2nd ticket won!

He was in the 5th row (leather seats, VIP).....I was in the 6th row (which were still awesome seats) but my tickets for that game were free! Super nice guy, seemed to be holding on to the money nicely. Bought a car, a truck and a new house. He was not a season ticket holder but rather a guy that just buys those seats when he wants to go to the game (smart). I couldn't waste that kind of money on 80 home games, nor could I sit through 80 home games!

As the tag line goes.......you never know!

It's cool to hear about a younger winner. It seems like most of the winners are either near or past retirement age with several children AND grandchildren. As a (relatively) young person at age 31, I've always been curious how someone like that would handle winning. The idea of just taking vacations nonstop and relaxing makes sense for someone that's 65, but at 25 there's only so much of that you're going to do before you ask yourself "what's next?"

Old 08-21-2017, 02:56 PM

939 posts, read 787,737 times
I try to avoid gambling at all costs, including the stock market.

We had a weekly dollar check pool at work, kind of a poker-type game.

I'd win 52 bucks a year by not playing.

Scuttlebutt was that there were buildings or sections at Lockheed a couple of decades ago wherein someone would raffle off their weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly paycheck, if of course the amount of the check was at least covered, that is.

If I decided to play, and actually won big and was working, I'd stay there.

For one, I always thought of it as a paid workout, hence, always found the most physical of chores to do because of it, plus, I liked my job and the people there.

There was a geezer at work who was making six figures before the Cali lotto.

He said he would continue working and we all laughed, until he stated that one good (as it were) disease or medical condition can financially ruin you.

To that I will add, especially if the hospital catches wind that you're a regular Joe or Jane who just came into some "New Money", as some may be willing to do anything to be able to spend more or all of it.

Winning in a state that allows winners to stay anonymous is a mixed blessing, as there's no way to keep the game in check as to an actual paid-out winner and/or if they're affiliated with the lotto game in any way.

Old 08-21-2017, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonso Gil View Post
1 in 292 million is essentially the same as 10 in 292 million and is also essentially the same as 100 in 292 million? That is ridiculous.
I buy 1 and you buy 10. Your chances of winning are still as likely as seeing a midget ride a Unicorn during an eclipse. Sure, statistically you have a better chance at it than me but doesn't mean much when we're talking about 292 million number combinations. Yeah I'll take a ringer at $2 though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events