Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2017, 10:49 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,521,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
She was at work. A co-worker checked her numbers, told her she had won and that she should immediately sign the back of the ticket.
And that was her first mistake:
https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/c...x0&sh=2397445d

So, what to do if you are unlucky enough to win the lottery?
This is the absolutely most important thing you can do right away: NOTHING. DO NOT DECLARE YOURSELF THE WINNER yet.
1. IMMEDIATELY retain an attorney.
2. Take the lump sum.
3. Decide right now, how much to give away. This really shouldn't be more than 20% or so.
4. You will be encouraged to hire an investment manager. Don't. Investment managers charge fees, usually a percentage of assets. Consider this: If they charge 1% they have to beat the market by 1% every year just to break even.
5. Use between 20.00% and 33.00% to purchase a combination of long term U.S. and G7 treasuries.
6. That leaves, say, 60%. Dump half of this into a boring S&P 500 index fund.
7. So you have a safety net. What now? Whatever you want. Go ahead and burn through millions in hookers and blow if you want. Go ahead and be an angel investor and fund some startups, but REFUSE to do it for anyone you know.

I have trimmed this some since the link goes to the original post. The first part of it relates some of the bad things that have happened to winners.

"Spent a lot on cheap whiskey, fast women, and slow horses. The rest I just wasted."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
That's also not how gift tax and the Unified Credit work.
I thought that is what YOU said last week? I guess I misunderstood. So please explain it to us?
"The unified credit enables you to give away $5 million (plus the annual inflation adjustments)
during your lifetime without having to pay gift tax.
By using the unified credit during your life, you'll reduce the amount
available to offset the estate tax upon your death."

Last edited by Crashj007; 08-24-2017 at 10:56 PM.. Reason: I tried to be brief, added cite

Old 08-24-2017, 10:57 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,019,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
And that was her first mistake:
https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/c...x0&sh=2397445d

So, what to do if you are unlucky enough to win the lottery?
This is the absolutely most important thing you can do right away: NOTHING. DO NOT DECLARE YOURSELF THE WINNER yet.
1. IMMEDIATELY retain an attorney.
2. Take the lump sum.
3. Decide right now, how much to give away. This really shouldn't be more than 20% or so.
4. You will be encouraged to hire an investment manager. Don't. Investment managers charge fees, usually a percentage of assets. Consider this: If they charge 1% they have to beat the market by 1% every year just to break even.
5. Use between 20.00% and 33.00% to purchase a combination of long term U.S. and G7 treasuries.
6. That leaves, say, 60%. Dump half of this into a boring S&P 500 index fund.
7. So you have a safety net. What now? Whatever you want. Go ahead and burn through millions in hookers and blow if you want. Go ahead and be an angel investor and fund some startups, but REFUSE to do it for anyone you know.

I have trimmed this some since the link goes to the original post. The first part of it relates some of the bad things that have happened to winners.

"Spent a lot on cheap whiskey, fast women, and slow horses. The rest I just wasted."
But if she didn't sign it, I thought it could be stolen. I'm guessing that she'd be able to fight it using the store surveillance but then she'd be known anyway if there was a legal battle.

Old 08-24-2017, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
And boys..............she's single! Not a bad looker, either.
You are Bill Clinton and I claim my five pounds.

Old 08-24-2017, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
My wife and I play the scratch off where you can win $7,500 a week from time to time. That's more then enough for us.
How's that working out for you?

Old 08-24-2017, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
I was wrong too. The season tickets are sold in Braintree.
<>
You talking Patriots? Hell she could buy the whole team.

Old 08-24-2017, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Taxes are 48.4% (39.6 federal, 3.8 obamacare, 5% state). So the 480 is reduced immediately to 247.5 million.
I had forgotten the ACA tax kicks in. So what is the gift tax once she gives away more than the $14,000 a year per person limit?

Old 08-24-2017, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Not bad for a $6 gamble. I wonder if she played before and how frequently. Since it took many drawings to have a winner, were odds greater than the often quoted 1 in 292,201,338?
Various Threads have discussed this a lot. Hunt up the one I started. I thought, incorrectly, that my personal odds were the square of that. We had a long thread on the possibility of there never being a winner since each drawing is independent of previous drawings.

Old 08-24-2017, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
She's the most beautiful woman in the world. Wonder if she's still single.
But here's what I don't get.
Massachusetts is one of the few states in the Union that allows a lotto winner to be anonymous via trust fund.
I can only assume it's either ego or pure impatience to not go this route. She's gonna be in a world of hurt soon if she's not careful.
You can't fix stupid. Actually Wednesday afternoon I decided to not buy any tickets ever again if it is over $100 mill since we can't be anonymous in NC.
Being careful was this morning, too late now. She will need bodyguards for the rest of her life.
See "Jack Whittaker"

Old 08-24-2017, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Pension? She has a 1/4 billion dollars and you think her "pension" is significant enough to mention?
Her pension is now ice cream money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events