Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2018, 02:56 PM

2,954 posts, read 1,411,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucifer View Post
Another reason I can never understand why people come forward so quickly. You have at least 90 days to do your research and plan an escape from your former life.

Granted, I don't think I could stop giggling for those 90 days.
Honestly I'd probably feel really scared and overwhelmed if I won this gigantic jackpot. It almost seems like TOO MUCH money. I'd really rather deal with just $5 to 10 million.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2018, 03:15 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,127,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffee72 View Post
Honestly I'd probably feel really scared and overwhelmed if I won this gigantic jackpot. It almost seems like TOO MUCH money. I'd really rather deal with just $5 to 10 million.

Don't even bother looking at your tickets. I asked for the winning ticket for the Mega millions and the Powerball! The clerk gave me her guarantee with a smile!

If you win a million today you better hire armed guards. Even if they only give you half the money; you would probably get burglars asking for all of it! You would have to take out a BIG loan just to pay the thieves! That is not even counting what you have to pay the lawyers!

Old 10-18-2018, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Don't even bother looking at your tickets. I asked for the winning ticket for the Mega millions and the Powerball! The clerk gave me her guarantee with a smile!

If you win a million today you better hire armed guards. Even if they only give you half the money; you would probably get burglars asking for all of it! You would have to take out a BIG loan just to pay the thieves! That is not even counting what you have to pay the lawyers!
You think robbers would bother with a measly $1 million?

But yes, I believe many people would come out of the woodwork looking for a handout and their share. I already had a very old friend ask me to give him money if I won. lol.

Old 10-18-2018, 04:24 PM

8,051 posts, read 12,764,996 times
Quote:
It does seem like a huge headache. If you won a couple of million I doubt people would have expectations of you that weren't easily rebuffed. If you won 300+ million after taxes it would be harder to reject requests from friends/family.

Another concern are criminals and con artists. If your name was ever made public you would have constant fear of kidnapping, shakedowns and scams.

On the other hand you would have extra money to hire the professionals.

Old 10-18-2018, 04:34 PM

518 posts, read 763,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
It does seem like a huge headache. If you won a couple of million I doubt people would have expectations of you that weren't easily rebuffed. If you won 300+ million after taxes it would be harder to reject requests from friends/family.

Another concern are criminals and con artists. If your name was ever made public you would have constant fear of kidnapping, shakedowns and scams.

On the other hand you would have extra money to hire the professionals.
Yeah I remember reading about one of the past jackpot winners and they said after they won they would get HUNDREDS of mails and phone calls EVERY DAY of all kinds of money begging...from "family" to parents of kids, to charities, to church groups, and everything under the sun.

They said some of the sob stories were real heart wrenching and after a while they had to stop because it was literally coming every day by the hundreds.

It'll get insane.

You have to not give ANY and just set up your own foundation to give out money as you wish.

People who wold give money to family/friends are playing with fire. You may give to your parents or very close siblings...but anyone else you start to give? it'll start a slippery slope and people will hate you for not giving them money since you're basically an infinite-money bucket now....

Old 10-18-2018, 06:15 PM

Quote:
You think robbers would bother with a measly $1 million?

But yes, I believe many people would come out of the woodwork looking for a handout and their share. I already had a very old friend ask me to give him money if I won. lol.
I have had people ask me for money when I didn't win! Heck, every time I answer the phone its somebody looking for money!

Years ago I was down in Acapulco watching the cliff divers and there were kids on the dock begging tourist to throw money in the water and they would dive for the money. I had a pocketful of change and I threw it in and every kid came up with a penny in one had and the other hand was giving me the finger! I really didn't know that my change was all pennies when I threw it! Kids don't appreciate the value of a penny!

Old 10-18-2018, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I have had people ask me for money when I didn't win! Heck, every time I answer the phone its somebody looking for money!

Years ago I was down in Acapulco watching the cliff divers and there were kids on the dock begging tourist to throw money in the water and they would dive for the money. I had a pocketful of change and I threw it in and every kid came up with a penny in one had and the other hand was giving me the finger! I really didn't know that my change was all pennies when I threw it! Kids don't appreciate the value of a penny!
That's a great story. Btw, can I have some money?

Old 10-18-2018, 08:06 PM

518 posts, read 763,769 times
Quote:
That's a great story. Btw, can I have some money?
Man you guys are so cool.

You know I've always worked really hard all my life, and I'm still paying off student loans...so if any of you win, can I have a little bit of money to help with loans? I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

Old 10-19-2018, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginmqi View Post
Man you guys are so cool.

You know I've always worked really hard all my life, and I'm still paying off student loans...so if any of you win, can I have a little bit of money to help with loans? I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

Actually I DID win on Tuesday's drawing...$2!!! Sorry, I already spent it.

Old 10-19-2018, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Actually I DID win on Tuesday's drawing...$2!!! Sorry, I already spent it.
We actually won a car back in 1992. It was from our local carnival where the proceeds went to the firehouse. The odds of winning are much better that these two big drawings. I think the Powerball odds of winning are somewhere around 1 in 260,000,000. The local carnival has a cap of 5,000 tickets. Of course that was the only thing we ever won; but that is better than what most people win. So we cannot complain.

With all the odds against us; this is more of a dream than it will ever be a reality. Perhaps it is better that way since there are no Cinderella stories about big lottery winners. Many end up broke and in worse shape than they were in before they won.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events