Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2018, 08:57 AM

7,244 posts, read 7,069,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by transitfan View Post
That's the way I will go in the highly unlikely event that I win a huge jackpot. I live in a state (Flori-DUH) that doesn't let you collect anonymously, and there are too many lowlifes in this state that might want to jack me.
Research Blind Trust, Claiming Trust and Bridge Trust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2018, 09:16 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,486,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post

Learned a new one recently, Nominee Trust.

In my state, the jackpot must be claimed by a real person and a trust is not considered a real person. So that would be an extra obstacle, but if I were to win, I'd hang in there and find an attorney who is willing to fight them.

Old 10-18-2018, 10:48 AM

On Thursday the Megamillions Jackpot jumped to $970 MILLION Cash Option: $548 million

Old 10-18-2018, 10:53 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,078,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
On Thursday the Megamillions Jackpot jumped to $970 MILLION Cash Option: $548 million
This will go over 1 billion.....

Old 10-18-2018, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
This will go over 1 billion.....

I'm waiting for the cash option to get to 1 billion.

Old 10-18-2018, 12:33 PM

518 posts, read 763,814 times
Holy crap its 970M already?!?!

The last record for powerball was 1600 million (1.6 billion) right?

So not sure if it will beat the last record....but definitely I'm guessing 1.3 to 1.4 billion tomorrow when it updates again......

Old 10-18-2018, 12:39 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,583,782 times
The funny thing is, the last time the jackpot got this high, the family that won, when they interviewed them the next day, they were saying the same things many people on here are saying..." We didnt expect to win", " we knew our odds were beyond horrible"...BUT turns out...they did win!!

Point is...YES, the odds are horrendous, but people DO win these things, come this saturday, I bet there will be at least one person, who thinks they have NO chance of winning, that will be proven wrong.

Old 10-18-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
The funny thing is, the last time the jackpot got this high, the family that won, when they interviewed them the next day, they were saying the same things many people on here are saying..." We didnt expect to win", " we knew our odds were beyond horrible"...BUT turns out...they did win!!

Point is...YES, the odds are horrendous, but people DO win these things, come this saturday, I bet there will be at least one person, who thinks they have NO chance of winning, that will be proven wrong.
Exactly.

People are always like.... "Well you're more likely to be hit by lightning while bitten by a shark while hiking a mountain while getting a call from your left-handed 3rd cousin asking about the weather on Mars....than you're likely to win the lottery!"

When its this high, there are going to be WAY MORE tickets sold than available combinations. Basically more than 300 million tickets likely will be sold which means at least 1 ticket (even multiple tickets) will win.

Essentially yes someone will win tomorrow night

Old 10-18-2018, 01:55 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,425,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Another reason I can never understand why people come forward so quickly. You have at least 90 days to do your research and plan an escape from your former life.

Granted, I don't think I could stop giggling for those 90 days.

Old 10-18-2018, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucifer View Post
Another reason I can never understand why people come forward so quickly. You have at least 90 days to do your research and plan an escape from your former life.

Granted, I don't think I could stop giggling for those 90 days.
Yup.

Immediately change phone number/email. Buy a new phone. Setup new email account. Disable facebook/twitter/any social media.

DO not tell anyone....maybe tell your spouse/partner only.

Get a PO Box, rent a new apartment/house to secretly set it up as your new primary address.

Sort through mail ONLY the required ones (bills, things you need to actually respond to).

You will get tons of unsolicited mail/phone calls...ignore them all.

Get in touch with CPA and law firm to discuss tax as well as LLC/estate/etc. law in the state.

Find a fee-only or fiduciary financial adviser....too many are salesmen and not actually advisers. I know I use Vanguard and they have financial advising services for people who have high net worth accounts with them.

Keep ticket safe in safety deposit box at your bank. DO not leave it in the home or car as that is way too risky. Sign the ticket immediately/appropriately.

Book a 4 week vacation somewhere far away to get away from people. Remotely discuss and have meetings with your CPA/lawyer on strategy going forward. Hawaii, Tahiti/Bora Bora, etc.

Hire a private security with a small fleet of vehicles to drive you with the winning ticket to the state lotto head quarters (dont be like that one dude who was showing off his winning PB ticket out in public...). You don't want to get in a car wreck while driving to get your winnings claimed....that would suck big time

Claim it as a LLC/anonymous (if state allows it).

Enjoy life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events