Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2018, 06:32 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,777,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Well aren’t you special. I don’t NEED millions/billions either, but I’ll be more than happy to take it if someone wants to offer it to me.
There is a difference between want and need. I don't need more money to support my lifestyle. But sure I don't mind winning a few hundred millions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2018, 06:57 PM

2,954 posts, read 1,411,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginmqi View Post

It would be reasonable to expect at least a similar increase in jump in sales for this next drawing.....potentially another 300-400+M. So cash option likely at least going to be 1200-1600+M, which could potentially mean 2000M in jackpot if its the higher end.

Since this will be a new world record, another huge ticket buying frenzy is likely to occur!
I'm sure there'll be a frenzy and people overspending. I accidentally overspent myself. Said, "Ten" having meant $10, but the clerk rang me up for ten tickets, so I owed $20. I bought early to avoid any potential crowds and frenzies.

Old 10-21-2018, 07:37 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,604,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffee72 View Post
I'm sure there'll be a frenzy and people overspending. I accidentally overspent myself. Said, "Ten" having meant $10, but the clerk rang me up for ten tickets, so I owed $20. I bought early to avoid any potential crowds and frenzies.
My lottery spending limit is $20 so I bought 10 tickets too. The last time I played, tickets were only $1 so I originally asked for 20 tickets, but when the clerk told me that would be $40, I said “Nevermind, just make it 10 tickets then.” As if I would pay $40 for lottery tickets. lol

Old 10-21-2018, 08:07 PM

566 posts, read 503,543 times
People who stood 2 hours on line bought 3-4 days worth. Thus, no more long lines or frenzy for tickets for $1.6B. This amount is just too big for anyone, for safety, and just a waste of money starting from $500m.

I dont see people spending $20 5 times just to have only 14 people win 2nd prize of $1m.
Both PB and MM are bad odds games; better play local Lotto or Cash4Life games.

Old 10-21-2018, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
My lottery spending limit is $20 so I bought 10 tickets too. The last time I played, tickets were only $1 so I originally asked for 20 tickets, but when the clerk told me that would be $40, I said “Nevermind, just make it 10 tickets then.” As if I would pay $40 for lottery tickets. lol
Yes, $40 sounds like a lot. Good thing you were able to catch it before they printed out the tickets. In my case, it was already too late. If this jackpot keeps going, I'll probably only spend $2 next time.

Old 10-21-2018, 08:33 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,082,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffee72 View Post
Yes, $40 sounds like a lot. Good thing you were able to catch it before they printed out the tickets. In my case, it was already too late. If this jackpot keeps going, I'll probably only spend $2 next time.
I used to go to the lottery agent and ask for the same numbers for ten draws. That was before they had the option on a betting slip. I figured it was better to have one ticket that was good for multiple weeks, so I wouldn't feel the pressure to buy more tickets when the jackpot got higher. One time the idiot started printing ten tickets for the same drawing with the same numbers on all of them! I only paid for one, but I knew damn well that the next bunch of buyers were going to have my same numbers. That was one time I was kind of glad I didn't win! After they went up to two dollars per ticket I stopped buying them altogether until it got big, like now, but I still limit the amount I will buy.

Old 10-21-2018, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
I used to go to the lottery agent and ask for the same numbers for ten draws. That was before they had the option on a betting slip. I figured it was better to have one ticket that was good for multiple weeks, so I wouldn't feel the pressure to buy more tickets when the jackpot got higher. One time the idiot started printing ten tickets for the same drawing with the same numbers on all of them! I only paid for one, but I knew damn well that the next bunch of buyers were going to have my same numbers. That was one time I was kind of glad I didn't win! After they went up to two dollars per ticket I stopped buying them altogether until it got big, like now, but I still limit the amount I will buy.
Lol, that's funny. Glad you didn't end up having to buy all ten tickets with the same exact numbers!

Old 10-22-2018, 09:11 AM

399 posts, read 727,960 times
That's why I generally buy my tickets from machines. They print exactly what you ask for. Downside is sometimes the machine is out of order. There was one Publix I used to shop at where the lotto machine was always having an issue. Solution: I stopped shopping at that Publix (In fairness, I had other issues with that particular store).

Old 10-22-2018, 09:56 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,486,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by transitfan View Post
That's why I generally buy my tickets from machines. They print exactly what you ask for. Downside is sometimes the machine is out of order. There was one Publix I used to shop at where the lotto machine was always having an issue. Solution: I stopped shopping at that Publix (In fairness, I had other issues with that particular store).

Our old machines were always problematic. It appeared as though it was working correctly till you put your money in. Then it wouldn't take your play slip at all, or it would just spit it out, or it wouldn't read a ticket you wanted to replay, or a multitude of other problems. I ended up buying more scratchers than I wanted because you couldn't play a draw ticket QP without the power play or megaplier without a play slip. It was their little ruse to sell more $3 tickets, and I refused to pay that much.

Luckily, they replaced all of the old machines about a year ago and now you can get a QP without multpliers, and the play slip scanner has worked every time I've tried it.

That said, I usually get my tickets from an agent because I usually have a credit card that gives 5% cash back at grocery stores or gas stations, both of which will take credit for lottery here. So I try to get my little bonus. This quarter there are no bonuses at any store that sells lottery so I'll be using the machines.

Old 10-23-2018, 09:09 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,486,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginmqi View Post
No.

Yes.

Also PB jackpot is 630M. MM jackpot is 1.6B

So, first time in history that two jackpots combined is over 2 billion dollars!!!

Alright thats it, I'm gonna buy a PB ticket too with a MM ticket.

What if you won both?!

If the odds of winning either Mega Millions or Powerball don't seem gigantic enough, how about winning them both? Spend $4 on a ticket for each game and it could happen. But the odds aren't especially favorable, at about 1 in 88 quadrillion (that's 88,000,000,000,000,000).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events