Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2018, 12:10 PM

11,085 posts, read 17,532,479 times

Advertisements

First thing I'm going to do when I win this $Billion prize is change my phone number. At least that will slow down the number of new relatives coming out of the woodwork.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2018, 12:18 PM

2,306 posts, read 1,702,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffee72 View Post
Honestly I'd probably feel really scared and overwhelmed if I won this gigantic jackpot. It almost seems like TOO MUCH money. I'd really rather deal with just $5 to 10 million.

I bought a ticket (technically two) and I was daydreaming about what I would do if I win. It actually became stressful when I thought of all the people who might expect money from me, how it would impact my personal relationships, the worry about personal security, etc... and I came to the same conclusion as you. I think I would rather win $1 million than $1 billion. With $1million, almost no one would bug me or even care (aside from me and Uncle Sam) and it would add nicely to my retirement account and make my life a whole lot more comfortable. But a billion? I don't know, it's a thousand times more money with what seems like ten thousand times more problems.

That said, I won't turn down the prize if one of my two tickets wins.

Old 10-19-2018, 12:28 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,486,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post
I bought a ticket (technically two) and I was daydreaming about what I would do if I win. It actually became stressful when I thought of all the people who might expect money from me, how it would impact my personal relationships, the worry about personal security, etc... and I came to the same conclusion as you. I think I would rather win $1 million than $1 billion. With $1million, almost no one would bug me or even care (aside from me and Uncle Sam) and it would add nicely to my retirement account and make my life a whole lot more comfortable. But a billion? I don't know, it's a thousand times more money with what seems like ten thousand times more problems.

That said, I won't turn down the prize if one of my two tickets wins.

Technically two? Your state has a promo buy one get one free? You and a friend/relative bought one each with an agreement to share?

Unless I had an invention that I wanted to develop and manufacture myself, a billion is way too much. I don't, and I'm less than a decade from retirement age. So I'd take the cash value, pay my taxes, put 30 mil in investments and keep 5 mil to spend. The rest will go to my favorite non-profit. If you hear of a small university getting a $400 million donation, you will know that I won.

Old 10-19-2018, 12:30 PM

2,306 posts, read 1,702,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
Technically two? Your state has a promo buy one get one free? You and a friend/relative bought one each with an agreement to share?

Unless I had an invention that I wanted to develop and manufacture myself, a billion is way too much. I don't, and I'm less than a decade from retirement age. So I'd take the cash value, pay my taxes, put 30 mil in investments and keep 5 mil to spend. The rest will go to my favorite non-profit. If you hear of a small university getting a $400 million donation, you will know that I won.

I have one ticket but with two sets of numbers. Cost me $4. I have no idea if this should be considered one ticket or two. I only bought a ticket because of the hype. I don't usually pay the tax on the gullible (as my Uncle used to call the lottery).

I figured I would give a lot of money to Meals on Wheels. I tend to give to charities that help the elderly poor.

Old 10-19-2018, 12:33 PM

16,415 posts, read 12,495,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post
I have one ticket but with two sets of numbers. Cost me $4. I have no idea if this should be considered one ticket or two.
That's two tickets printed on one slip.

Old 10-19-2018, 03:09 PM

16,415 posts, read 12,495,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
don't take the lump sum at this level... the 30 year monthly payment will be way beyond what anybody needs and should be able to spend. That annual layout will buy you time to build out a proper team of professionals and an investment/allocation strategy. $300M+ after tax windfall is way too much money for any one person to just come into and handle responsibly.
I don’t know if this has been mentioned upthread, but one thing most people don’t realize is that the annuity option is paid on an increasing rate schedule. So the winner of the Billion might only see about $10M after federal and state taxes (depending on the state, of course). The 30th year, they’ll probably net closer to $45M.

Of course, $10M is certainly nothing to sneeze at. Just seems paltry when we’re talking about a Billion dollars. LOL

Old 10-19-2018, 06:16 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,486,905 times
Mega Millions tickets in Idaho selling at a rate of 1,440 per minute Friday afternoon

Quote:
You have until 7:55 p.m. Mountain Time to buy a game ticket for the next drawing. Go sooner than later, as there might be a line, said David Workman, spokesman for the Idaho Lottery.

“In the last hour, we were selling 24 tickets a second for Mega Millions,” Workman said at about 4:30 p.m. Friday.
And that's in li'l ole Idaho. I can't imagine how fast they're selling in more populous states like CA, NY, NJ, etc. I wonder if they will raise the jackpot again before the draw tonight?

https://www.idahostatesman.com/lates...nk=latest_side

Old 10-19-2018, 09:09 PM

468 posts, read 356,024 times
Winning Mega Millions numbers drawn Friday evening October 19, 2018 for the 1 Billion dollar + Jackpot

15, 23, 53, 65 and 70 with a Mega Ball of 7

Old 10-19-2018, 11:02 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,583,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
don't take the lump sum at this level... the 30 year monthly payment will be way beyond what anybody needs and should be able to spend. That annual layout will buy you time to build out a proper team of professionals and an investment/allocation strategy. $300M+ after tax windfall is way too much money for any one person to just come into and handle responsibly.
You are absolutely right, we dont realize how much money that actually is...I couldnt imagine seeing that amount sitting in my bank acct...naturally your mind is going to start working overtime thinking of things you can now do....plus the fact that you will never have to work another day in your life if you choose.

Lots of people on here say they would be responsible with it, donate a bunch, etc, but its entirely different game when you have that money in your acct, it does things to a persons mind!

Old 10-20-2018, 04:01 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,027,771 times
No one matched the numbers. 15 second-prize winners, one of which (the winner in Cove, Texas) paid the extra dollar for Megaplier. Tuesday’s drawing is set for $1,600,000,000.

Should be a fun night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events