Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2018, 02:46 PM

518 posts, read 763,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
Jack Whittaker proves that even people who were wealthy before the win have problems.

People just view jackpot winners differently. They think it was free money, largely undeserved, so it's okay to demand and hound and expect the winner to hand a huge chunk over to them.

People who "earned" the money don't get that because that kind of money is seen as earned and therefore they "deserve" it.
Very true. SOmetimes even the wealthy can mismanage money.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucifer View Post
A variation of the old saying is:

"If you want to look poor, hang around rich people."

Find a nice, gated community where the people have the same or even more money than you. Not to say rich people won't try to bilk you of your money, but it's easier to hide among them.

Of course, that house will be purchased by a corporation that leases it to you (Hint: you own the corporation). That way you don't show up on the public records. Same thing goes for any home purchased for family members.
Very good point. I was looking up public tax/property records of my condo building and a LOT of units are owned by LLCs...certainly is to hide identity but also to likely reduce liability as well I would imagine.

But yes buying property under a LLC definitely seems like a good idea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2018, 03:06 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,488,399 times
The cash value went up to 913 million just about 10 minutes ago, but the annuity amount is still sitting at 1.6 billion.

Old 10-23-2018, 03:11 PM

Interesting.

I'm guessing they will do a final update closer to the evening (before the drawing) when more sales come in/numbers updated.

As people get out of work at 4-7pm, buying should tick up for individuals and also office pools/etc. There should be another update to the cash/annuity one last time I'm hoping before the draw tonight

Old 10-23-2018, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginmqi View Post
Very true. SOmetimes even the wealthy can mismanage money.....

I've been thinking about that, and I wonder if it's the WINNER who thinks they don't deserve it and they need to share? Jack certainly had enough money before the win to give his grand daughter a couple thou a week allowance. But it's only after the win that he handed it over. All the sudden he couldn't say no to her.

Yeah, I think maybe the winner has to know they deserve this money in order to hold onto it.

I know I deserve it. I've been playing for 30 years without a win of more than $100, and only a few of those. I've invested enough, and I've earned a big win!

Old 10-23-2018, 04:08 PM

17,295 posts, read 22,023,110 times
Quote:
The cash value went up to 913 million just about 10 minutes ago, but the annuity amount is still sitting at 1.6 billion.

They are basing the cash quote on the value of the annuities needed to fund the 1.6 billion if the winner takes the payments. Interest rates change daily so they got an updated rate and raised the current cash value.

Old 10-23-2018, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
They are basing the cash quote on the value of the annuities needed to fund the 1.6 billion if the winner takes the payments. Interest rates change daily so they got an updated rate and raised the current cash value.

I thought the cash quote was the money they actually have (or expect to have) and the annuity value is based on the interest rate?

But you're right, I didn't think about the interest rate changing that much. I bet that's why one value changed.

Old 10-23-2018, 04:22 PM

6,449 posts, read 9,809,163 times
Quote:
I thought the cash quote was the money they actually have (or expect to have) and the annuity value is based on the interest rate?
Thats what I read in the rules as well.

Old 10-23-2018, 05:15 PM

8,051 posts, read 12,769,823 times
Quote:

But you're right, I didn't think about the interest rate changing that much. I bet that's why one value changed.
https://finviz.com/futures_charts.ashx?t=ZB&p=m5

No change in interest rates in the past 24 hours according to the 30 year bond futures.

Something is not right with this. 3 days of ticket sales and it only goes up 9 million dollars cash value and NOTHING on the annuity value? I don't know the payout ratio but lets assume it is 25% of sales worst case. Did they only sell 18 million tickets in the past 3 1/2 days? They only sold 5 1/2 million tickets per day?

Math check- 18,000,000 x 2 dollars = 36,000,000

36,000,000 x 25% = 9,000,000

44 states sell the megamillion's tickets. Are we expected to believe that only 409,000 tickets were sold in each state over a 3 1/2 day period? That only 117,000 tickets were sold per day in each of the 44 states?

The jump between jackpots during the previous draw was over 100 million (correct me if I am wrong- I can't find data). Why is this only 9 million? Why are the sales so low when a record jackpot is at stake?

Something is fishy with this.

Old 10-23-2018, 05:21 PM

It may be that they haven't updated it yet....not sure but I assume each machine/retailer that sells tickets is connected via network to some kind of data center/base and maybe they are still waiting for all the data to be fed/updated?

I assume there will be another update before the drawing...maybe in a couple hours?

Old 10-23-2018, 05:22 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,957,639 times
They say the winner will receive 86k a day.... for 30 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events