Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2018, 04:25 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,606,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucifer View Post
Waiting on confirmation from South Carolina.
Looks like it's been confirmed that one winning ticket was sold there.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/historic-1...opstories.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2018, 06:04 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,867,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Looks like it's been confirmed that one winning ticket was sold there.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/historic-1...opstories.html
Very lucky to be in a state where there's an option to remain anonymous.

Old 10-24-2018, 06:11 AM

17,298 posts, read 22,023,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
You never know what the tax rate will be ten years from now. You KNOW that you will probably be paying the lowest rate currently (2018)

I would never consider the annuity; give me the cash.
Biggest complication is the inheritance if you die before the end of the annuity payments. IRS values your estate at the total of the remaining payments (money you haven't gotten yet). So lets say you have 10 payments of 20mm left (200mm). They will want 50% of that the April 15th after your death. So they want 100mm next April yet your estate won't get that money for the next 5 years! Now what? Sell the annuity to a JG Wentworth type outfit for pennies on the dollar? Get a loan?

The other glitch: Money is invested in US treasuries which tend to be safe but only returning about 2-3% interest. If the US ever goes broke......your treasuries (essentially IOU's) are worthless.

Old 10-24-2018, 06:14 AM

17,298 posts, read 22,023,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
And that makes it RIPE FOR CONSPIRACY THEORIES TO GO VIRAL!

I wonder if the tax rolls would expose the winner. 7% state income tax and with this win the ticket holder would probably be this year's top taxpayer in the state.

Old 10-24-2018, 06:37 AM

16,417 posts, read 12,499,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post

I wonder if the tax rolls would expose the winner. 7% state income tax and with this win the ticket holder would probably be this year's top taxpayer in the state.
Unless they take the annuity option.

Old 10-24-2018, 07:03 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,329,017 times
Quote:

Whose to say the single ticket wasn't from an office pool, with 10, 20 or 30 people in it? They still will get a lot of money each, but spread over numerous people.

Old 10-24-2018, 07:05 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,471,073 times
At my age I'd take the lump sum. We wouldn't need to worry about investing anything. After making some millionaires out of some friends and neighbors, and giving to charity and animal shelters, we'd buy a Winnebago in which to tour the country for a couple of years. After that we'd settle for a nice house on a lake, a big boat and a new car. We'd bank the rest of the money and live nicely off that until we both died.

Old 10-24-2018, 07:27 AM

24,609 posts, read 9,446,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
Just what would you do with that much money? Cash value after taxes is 600 million or more.l.
You put it in the hands of reputable people (lawyers, accountants, financial advisor, trust fund) who know how to manage it. Obviously you don’t want to be scammed or ripped off so you would have to only hire folks who already have plenty of money.

Even if it was just $1 million. Money is so easy to blow if you never earned it or learned how to manage it. Almost 78% of NFL athletes end up bankrupt. 70% of lotto winners end up bankcrut.

Quote:
According to a 2009 Sports Illustrated article, 78% of National Football League (NFL) players are either bankrupt or are under financial stress within two years of retirement and an estimated 60% of National Basketball Association (NBA) players go bankrupt within five years after leaving their spor
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pers...rican_athletes

Old 10-24-2018, 08:09 AM

3,072 posts, read 1,300,754 times
Quote:

Pretty soon most states will be this way. They’re pushing really hard for this now but the lottery commission is largely against it.

Old 10-24-2018, 08:12 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,342,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
A huge part of me was hoping it would be in such a state. The public will hopefully be spared any tragic stories of the winner(s) being stalked, harassed, marked for death, etc. unless, of course, they’re dumb enough to come forward. I firmly believe that much money brings more misery than joy. Good luck to whoever won because they will need it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events