Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2018, 12:34 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,327,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BELMO45 View Post
I always wonder why rich people never buy tickets although back in 2000 I believe the first ever 300 mill jackpot as won by a rich guy in West Virginia
Oh, I'm pretty sure rich people do buy tickets when the jackpots get this high, they just don't win like the rest of us regular Joe Schmoe's.

The big difference is if a millionaire or billionaire spends $100 on 50 Powerball/Mega Millions tix, it's a a lot different than someone making $25,000 a year spending $100 on those same tickets.

I would bet Mark Cuban spent at least $100 on the drawing last night, just in case, because you never know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2018, 01:34 PM

9,495 posts, read 9,809,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucifer View Post
Simpsonville, SC.

Sorry. Just came to mind.
Hey you figured us out! We even got one of those Wal-Mart stores in Simpsonville!

Big leagues baby!

I'm hearing the winner was a 22 y/o male, working in a local manufacturing plant. Haven't verified that though.

Old 10-24-2018, 02:51 PM

17,285 posts, read 22,013,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Oh, I'm pretty sure rich people do buy tickets when the jackpots get this high, they just don't win like the rest of us regular Joe Schmoe's.

The big difference is if a millionaire or billionaire spends $100 on 50 Powerball/Mega Millions tix, it's a a lot different than someone making $25,000 a year spending $100 on those same tickets.

I would bet Mark Cuban spent at least $100 on the drawing last night, just in case, because you never know!
I have a relative that made 100 million before he was 40 (cell phones). He buys tickets once it gets passed 250mm. I asked what he would do different (lives on the ocean already, buys whatever he desires)?

Answer: Private Jet! That's it, just wants to fly private.

Howard Stern bought $100 in tickets and was ranting how "lotteries" were sucker bets. He is probably worth 500 million+ and he was fantasizing about 1.6 Billion despite having pretty much everything already.

Whew he was all amped up this morning when he found out he didn't win!

Old 10-24-2018, 02:54 PM

17,285 posts, read 22,013,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Hey you figured us out! We even got one of those Wal-Mart stores in Simpsonville!

Big leagues baby!

I'm hearing the winner was a 22 y/o male, working in a local manufacturing plant. Haven't verified that though.
hey that young kid in Florida won like 450 million and he has stayed out of the headlines so far:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ot/1030765001/

Only crazy thing, this winner can collect anonymously so if the 22 yr old hasn't realized that he may want to hire someone who can keep it quiet for him! Good luck kid, go light on the booze, the women and the drugs and you might make it to 30!

Old 10-24-2018, 03:50 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,340,899 times
Well, I was just in Facebook looking at the comments about this story and people living in the town commented saying that the guy who won has already been spilling his guts at work and folks know who he is. It could be a false alarm, but it’s not looking good for this guy. It sounds like it’s one of those small towns where everyone knows everyone else and people will talk to any tabloid for cash.

Old 10-24-2018, 04:32 PM

468 posts, read 356,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Dang, the winning ticket was bought at a small convenience store I pass every day going to and from work. Should have stopped.

Simpsonville, SC. The only winner.
Amazing you pass there every day... ...a very small chance but hey it could have been your ticket the big winner...was it a quick pick do you know ?

Those convenience stores seem to be lucky spots....here in NY we had 4 winners of a million dollars each by having all 5 numbers but without having the Mega ball number

One of those 4 was a quick pick purchased at a 7-11 about 30 miles from me...I can recall hearing of big previous lottery winners purchasing their winning tickets at 7-11's and other convenience stores....and all the big winners of a million or more appear to be quick pick tickets

Here is breakdown from the NY Lottery site on the Mega drawin

MEGA MILLIONS

1 winners of $1.6 Billion. Winning tickets sold in SC.

34 second-prize winners of $1 Million. Winning tickets sold in NC, NJ, NM, NY, OH, PA, VA, MO, MI, MA, KY, IA, FL, DC, CA, AZ, WI.

New York

Winning Counties: SUFFOLK, WESTCHESTER, KINGS

Retailer Locations:

7-ELEVEN #11211H, 722 TOWNLINE ROAD, HAUPPAUGE (QUICK PICK)

STEW LEONARD'S, 1 STEW LEONARD'S DR, YONKERS (QUICK PICK)

A&C MINI MARKET INC, 7701 17TH AVE, BROOKLYN (QUICK PICK)

STOP & SHOP # 2591, 2965 CROPSEY AVE, BROOKLYN (QUICK PICK)

Old 10-24-2018, 07:48 PM

50,723 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BELMO45 View Post
I always wonder why rich people never buy tickets although back in 2000 I believe the first ever 300 mill jackpot as won by a rich guy in West Virginia
What makes you think they don’t?

Old 10-24-2018, 07:54 PM

50,723 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
Well, I was just in Facebook looking at the comments about this story and people living in the town commented saying that the guy who won has already been spilling his guts at work and folks know who he is. It could be a false alarm, but it’s not looking good for this guy. It sounds like it’s one of those small towns where everyone knows everyone else and people will talk to any tabloid for cash.
He certainly doesn’t have to stay there. I would think in most cases people have to move. In most states you can’t keep it secret no matter what. I think it’d be hard to even in a state like SC. You’d quit your job, people would ask why, you’d want a new car, people would wonder how since you just quit your job, etc.

Old 10-24-2018, 10:07 PM

3,072 posts, read 1,300,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY 915 View Post
Amazing you pass there every day... ...a very small chance but hey it could have been your ticket the big winner...was it a quick pick do you know ?

Those convenience stores seem to be lucky spots....here in NY we had 4 winners of a million dollars each by having all 5 numbers but without having the Mega ball number

One of those 4 was a quick pick purchased at a 7-11 about 30 miles from me...I can recall hearing of big previous lottery winners purchasing their winning tickets at 7-11's and other convenience stores....and all the big winners of a million or more appear to be quick pick tickets

Here is breakdown from the NY Lottery site on the Mega drawin

MEGA MILLIONS

1 winners of $1.6 Billion. Winning tickets sold in SC.

34 second-prize winners of $1 Million. Winning tickets sold in NC, NJ, NM, NY, OH, PA, VA, MO, MI, MA, KY, IA, FL, DC, CA, AZ, WI.

New York

Winning Counties: SUFFOLK, WESTCHESTER, KINGS

Retailer Locations:

7-ELEVEN #11211H, 722 TOWNLINE ROAD, HAUPPAUGE (QUICK PICK)

STEW LEONARD'S, 1 STEW LEONARD'S DR, YONKERS (QUICK PICK)

A&C MINI MARKET INC, 7701 17TH AVE, BROOKLYN (QUICK PICK)

STOP & SHOP # 2591, 2965 CROPSEY AVE, BROOKLYN (QUICK PICK)
The vast majority of winners are quick picks. I always wonder how since that computer spits out the dumbest combinations. I so often look at my ticket and say yeah no way this is winning. I don’t play often but it’s been nearly 15 years since I got 3 numbers right and I had gone a good 8 years til last night without getting two and I haven’t gotten the powerball or mega millions number in about 10. My brother got 5 numbers right in Florida in 2000 and won 200K I think

Old 10-24-2018, 11:33 PM

1,808 posts, read 3,190,448 times
I rarely play the lottery. I did put down $20 on Tuesday, won $14.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events