Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 04:29 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,208,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post
Do you have any proof of that? I ask because the FB post says Red Cross wasn't there yet and that the FB poster wasn't working with Red Cross nor was she donating to Red Cross. She was working with The Sky Hope Network to distribute the burgers and other goods that they brought to the airport.
Did you read this thread? I already posted quotes with links. Where do you think these busloads of evacuees came from? Who do you think got them packed up and loaded onto buses that night?

Short story, evacuees were at Beaumont shelters, when shelters began losing power and threatened by rising water, plans were made to bus them to Dallas and other places in the state, when roads were impassable buses were sent to airport to await cargo planes in the morning. Idk if RC or city officials were running the show but RC was operating at the shelters on both ends.

Again, the evacuees were not brought to the airport to get a hot meal. This was a transfer operation to get them out of harm's way in Beaumont. This woman showed up and inserted herself into an ongoing operation.

Nobody is going to die if they miss a meal. Maybe the window of opportunity was narrow and they didn't want to slow down the transfer process to feed people and instead had a hot meal waiting in Dallas? Maybe it's not a great idea to feed hundreds of people then load them onto military cargo planes lacking lavatories?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2017, 07:35 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,097,944 times
I've read this entire thread and haven't seen any proof that any Red Cross workers were present at the airport except the two volunteers who tried to confiscate another relief org's supplies.

In your photo I see the Texas Air Guard and what looks like a random fire department pumper truck with no sign of the Red Cross.

Below you can see the Sky Hope pilot, Patrick Collins, the bags of Twin Peaks burgers, some Sky Hope volunteers and others but no sign of the Red Cross.

Verify: Did Red Cross stop 400 burgers from getting to Harvey victims? | WUSA9.com

At this point it appears that two Red Cross volunteers took it upon themselves to attempt to confiscate another relief organizations donations. Remember, there are many groups providing for the survivors of Harvey. Red Cross is one of them but Red Cross is not in charge of all other relief groups and has no right overstep their bounds and attempt to confiscate other groups food and supplies meant for the survivors. That is what appears to have happened in this case and it was a big mistake on the part of the two Red Cross volunteers.

Red Cross had many problems with a bad reputation for years due to mismanagement. These two volunteers didn't do the Red Cross any favors with their idiotic behavior.

Last edited by 5-all; 09-09-2017 at 07:59 PM..

Old 09-09-2017, 09:57 PM

5,213 posts, read 3,010,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thAndK View Post
There are laws about this. They exist for good reason. This isn't Little House on the Prairie, you know. In my town, the Missionaries of Charity distribute food to the homeless out of vans that pull up to various parks on a regular schedule. All of their kitchens and other facilities are inspected and permitted and they wouldn't have it any other way. THAT'S how it's done.
And thats the unfortunate part. How it SHOULD be done is friends helping friends, neighbors helping neighbors and people helping people.

Instead the government gets involved and it costs more money and wastes time.

Old 09-10-2017, 03:23 PM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
After the floods that happened in south Louisiana some were at a nearby shelter run by the Red Cross. Local people delivered fresh home cooked meals. rC staff would not allow them to distribute the food inside the shelter. When the locals tried to set up shop outside the shelter to give out the food to those at the shelter they were threatened with arrest and people in the shelter were told if they left the shelter to get the food they would not be allowed back in the shelter. When restaurant prepared food was brought to the shelter only the Red Cross staff ate the food not giving any to those inside.
I used to know a senior woman who volunteered for disaster relief around the country because they (RC) always provided a decent place to stay and good meals. She said she considered the trips mini vacations.

Old 09-11-2017, 02:36 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,947,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
When I was in Marine Corps boot camp the drill instructors told us what a vile organization the Red Cross was. I had this confirmed by the WWII veteran that swore me in. The Red Cross has never gotten a dime from me since then.
And yet the RC was able to get my grandfather home to upstate NY when he was serving with the US Army on Guam during WWII after my 2 year old aunt wound up in the hospital with severe burns on her face when she tripped and fell face-first into a radiator.

Old 09-12-2017, 12:12 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,643,384 times
There are much better organizations to donate money to, so why give to RC, which is well known to deliver very little help to victims per dollar donated. I gave to the J. J. Watts fund for Harvey. I've given to Salvation Army in the past. Lots of choices other than the infamous Red Cross and too much actual facts about Red Cross being the most screwed-up choice.

Old 09-12-2017, 01:57 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,582,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
And yet the RC was able to get my grandfather home to upstate NY when he was serving with the US Army on Guam during WWII after my 2 year old aunt wound up in the hospital with severe burns on her face when she tripped and fell face-first into a radiator.
During my time in the Marine Corps the Red Cross was the contract agency for that type of service. Why, I'll never know. But they were still despised by most military members and there were plenty of them that remembered them from WWII. But like I said, they'll never get one dime from me. I'll donate to a more reputable charity, like the Salvation Army.

Old 09-19-2017, 02:45 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,568,417 times
I worked for the Alzheimer's Association once. Same deal. It's all about the money. There is very little direct service to people or families in need. Shame.
The Red Cross got ''too big for it's britches''. I give to the Salvation Army or directly to the palm of a person who needs a meal or gas money.

Old 09-19-2017, 04:22 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,627,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
This is true, and also why it's best to avoid the Red Cross and give locally. Imagine if the thousands of homemade meals and other foods that were distributed to churches or shelters by regular people were rejected because of government regulations. It's funny, other places (like the furniture great Mattress Mack in Houston) accepted and served food that was not from a regulated source and it helped many.
The Salvation Army always sets up as soon as they can in the most needed areas and gives out hot meals. I know they did it in Katrina (NO), Charley (Punta Gorda, FL) and here after Irma in Florida. The Red Cross hadn't gotten set up yet to hand out cold sandwiches. But the SA doesn't get a lot of national recognition and yet, they do the most good, doing it on donations. And, I heard the WWII stories within my own family by people who were there.

I never give to the RC.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:40 PM

8,214 posts, read 3,483,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Nobody is going to die if they miss a meal.
Some people with medical issues such as blood sugar issues can become very ill and maybe die from missing meals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events