Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 09:55 PM

21,463 posts, read 10,566,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Who/what is "THIS organization?" The FB post doesn't name it

The Sky Hope Network doesn't cook burgers or distribute them. They are an aviation group that provides flights for charity and disaster aid. My understanding was that they had flown the burgers to that airport, although I could be wrong about that. Again, neither the FB post nor the Snopes article say who/where the burgers were made, nor what organization procured them, nor whether those people were actually volunteering for the RC at the time.
Do you work for the Red Cross or something? Why are you so defensive? The Red Cross is a valuable organization, but they can be wrong at times. This was one of those times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 11:16 PM
KCZ

4,663 posts, read 3,659,757 times
I have no affiliation with the Red Cross, nor am I being defensive. I've asked several times what, if any, organization the FB poster was affiliated with, and whether it or she was volunteering for the RC, which would give the RC the authority to decide what food would be distributed under their name. No one seems to have the answer to those questions, which I feel are legitimate, and which don't merit my being attacked.

Old 09-07-2017, 11:18 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,320,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
You need to define mentally ill as well. Pretty much everyone is mentally ill by some definitions.
That's news to me.

There's still many who are very healthy and well adjusted.

Who claims we're all ill? Some authority org for the purpose of controlling us now or in the future?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
You make a good point, but in today's litigious society (at least in the U.S.), the ARC might be afraid of being sued.

Honestly, I have thought more than once about opening my home (in Colorado) to some displaced family, but when I read of so many lawsuits brought against people who meant well . . . well, I am just not willing to take that risk.
"No good deed goes unpunished". It's unfortunate things are like this. I suppose this is for the benefit of the legal profession.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
The British government donated tens of thousands for MRE rations after Katrina... the same used by the British Military around the world.

Most may not remember that the entire donation was thrown away... as it was not FDA.

Shame. Someone should have grabbed them somehow, then got them to people who needed them. Or a federal bureaucrat with the power of the pen to put aside FDA regulations this one time.

Old 09-07-2017, 11:48 PM

1,235 posts, read 731,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
And any lawyer worth his/her degree, will get the waver toss out because your were under duress to sign it to get the room temperature burger.
Not sure how that works. Under duress? No one is under duress when they opt for a hot meal over a cold one. It's still a choice.

Something similar happened in NYC. A large Jewish organization had loads of food they wanted to donate to the homeless shelters. This was food that was not used for an event (and if I'm not mistaken) was already prepared food.

At the time Mayor Bloomberg would not accept the food and told them so. I the time, I was disgusted and really sad about it. However, I have come to realize why these things need to be done.

Old 09-08-2017, 12:17 AM

21,463 posts, read 10,566,251 times
Quote:
I have no affiliation with the Red Cross, nor am I being defensive. I've asked several times what, if any, organization the FB poster was affiliated with, and whether it or she was volunteering for the RC, which would give the RC the authority to decide what food would be distributed under their name. No one seems to have the answer to those questions, which I feel are legitimate, and which don't merit my being attacked.
You have not been attacked.

I don't know that she was affiliated with any organization. She appeared to be volunteering for the organization I mentioned earlier, and that organization had been working with these evacuees before the Red Cross got there.

Old 09-08-2017, 12:40 AM
KCZ

4,663 posts, read 3,659,757 times
And which organization is that? And where did you find that information?

Old 09-08-2017, 02:48 AM

19,835 posts, read 12,092,300 times
Quote:
And which organization is that? And where did you find that information?
She seemed to be coordinating with Sky Hope Network as well as coordinating with their state representative Phelan. All of this is in the OP.

Old 09-08-2017, 04:58 AM

10,833 posts, read 14,930,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxQuickdraw View Post
Recently, the Red Cross had to admit that 25% of the money received went to cover their admin costs. The remaining amounts are then farmed to other charity groups who are allowed to siphon off the top for their costs before every giving a dime to anyone. Here is the article to back it up https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/30/o...s.html?mcubz=0
Oh yeah... the Red Cross says those blankets they give out are quite valuable. According to recent purchase orders revealed to the NY Times, they value the costs of those blankets to be $28 each.
We all want to help, but we need to be smarter. Be sure to check Charity Navigator to see how your money is being spent.
Marsha J. Evans, President and CEO of the American Red Cross... Salary for year was $651,957 plus expenses. (That's $74.42 an hour for EVERY hour of EVERY day.)

Old 09-08-2017, 07:43 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,335,752 times
I will not nor have ever donated to the Red Cross. I absolutely check on any 'services' that help during a crisis. Those that actually spend the money on that particular crisis get my donation.

Old 09-08-2017, 07:54 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,208,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I think the point was that THIS organization was going to distribute the food. They had coordinated all this before the Red Cross even showed up. What gives them the right to say the food could not be distributed?
First, that is incorrect. She clearly showed up with no arrangements for food, expecting to hand out supplies and food provided by someone else. Her own account says she made arrangements after arrival.

Second, I already provided the full story, but this was an ongoing RC operation that she crashed. How do you think the busloads of evacuees got there? RC was running the shelters these evacuees had just come from. The priority here was getting thousands of evacuees transferred from flooded shelters in Beaumont to safer shelters around the state. A hot meal was not the priority. A human being can miss a meal or two. This woman showed up at someone else's event and interfered with the process. It's akin to going uninvited to a gate at an airport and setting up a buffet line for passengers about to board the plane and wondering why the airline wants you to stop. All of the evacuees had numbers marked on their arm and when the next plane was ready to board the numbers were called. Maybe they didn't need delays in boarding planes because evacuees were standing in a burger line. Maybe they were under pressure to get people flown out before weather worsened or it got dark (don't think this airport supports night operations).

And still, no answers to these basic questions:

WHO made the burgers?

WHERE were they made?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events